New Callaway CB Wedges

The full face grooves is awesome. I would have said you are crazy 4 years ago with them.
It is really neat actually how they became so commonplace. Really just speaks to the benefit of having it, for those of us who aren't hitting the sweet spot on every shot.

I really need to try these out. I swear, these would probably be a huge benefit to my short game. Any little bit helps.

It is really neat actually how they became so commonplace. Really just speaks to the benefit of having it, for those of us who aren't hitting the sweet spot on every shot.

I really need to try these out. I swear, these would probably be a huge benefit to my short game. Any little bit helps.
Give them a real look in a few months out in Carlsbad!

For those moving from thinner sole wedges how do you feel the transition was to the wider sole? Any digging at first? Do you feel the sole helps cut through the rough better?
The digging is far less for me moving to a wider sole and more bounce. Regarding the rough, so far it’s been getting through the rough great for me and glides through pretty easily. Even in some stickier rough that I’ve hit out of, the clubs gotten through perfectly fine.

So, for a tight lie, a confident swing and let the sole do it's thing? I tend to try and get cute with a blade style wedge, and end up digging in the leading edge of the sole, in your testing so far, does this one kind of "cover up" tha tmiss?
Yes, it is pretty darn forgiving, with the pre worn leading edge, you pretty much have to try to lay the sod over the ball, it doesn't readily dig in on its own. With 2 more degrees of bounce than the CBX Zips, one would think this would be dicey off a tight lie, but thus far no issues, just let the bounce slide the leading edge under the ball. League tonight is at a course with very tight fairway lies and brutal rough. I spend a bit of time in booth, so this shall be a good test.

Yes, it is pretty darn forgiving, with the pre worn leading edge, you pretty much have to try to lay the sod over the ball, it doesn't readily dig in on its own. With 2 more degrees of bounce than the CBX Zips, one would think this would be dicey off a tight lie, but thus far no issues, just let the bounce slide the leading edge under the ball. League tonight is at a course with very tight fairway lies and brutal rough. I spend a bit of time in booth, so this shall be a good test.
Good stuff, thank you.

That is what I am noticing as well so far. I like the term "pre worn leading edge".

The full face grooves might be hard for me to get used to. I had it on a Jaws 58* and couldn't handle it. Maybe I'm more open-minded in my old age, but it would be a big change.

The full face grooves might be hard for me to get used to. I had it on a Jaws 58* and couldn't handle it. Maybe I'm more open-minded in my old age, but it would be a big change.
It sure helps on the miss hits!

Finally it did not rain and had a chance to chip in the backyard. Able to compare my current -MD5, the new CB wedge, and the old version CB wedge.

after a few swings I realized why I didn't like the original CB wedge. Skulled 3 straight. Lol. Learning over the last couple years what I like in a wedge- I do like when I can feel the head thru the swing. The new CB wedge standard comes with a 95 shaft, the original standard came with a 105 shaft. The lighter shaft coupled with the bigger and heavier head produces that nice effect for me. The new CB wedge was smooth thru the grass for me. The wider sole, also I felt gave me more forgiveness. Didn't blade a shot with it. I was still more accurate with my current MD5, but I think I am much more familiar with the club. But with more practice of the CB wedge, I feel I could get there.

Here's some photos of the different clubs.
View attachment 9193353
View attachment 9193354
Here's 2 photos of the original CB wedge vs the MD5. To a novice club swinger like me, the only difference between the 2 was the cavity back and a wider sole. Also those who go for a particular sound, won't be happy with the sound of the original CB. More clicky to me.
View attachment 9193355

View attachment 9193356
comparison between new CB and old CB. The new CB has even a wider sole than the original. And I really like the 3 tiers on the sole. To me it gave me points of reference on the sole where to engage the bounce. In addition to the lighter shaft, wider sole, you can see Callaway added even more weight on the top toe and back areas of the wedge. All contributes, for me, a smoother swing. I am most excited to try these in the sand, as this is a major weakness of my game. Need a few days to dry out the traps as we had multiple days of multiple inches of rain here.

Coincidentally, I recently won the Callaway US Open staff bag you can see in the background. Here's a closeup:
View attachment 9193371

Bottom line for me as a higher handicapper. The wedge is easy to hit. I feel with more practice I can narrow down the dispersion.

A. Nice staff bag!!!

B. Really like that shot of the old CB wedge and this one.

C. Looking forward to your continued thoughts on these. I too am thinking the more I get to use them the better I'll get with dispersion.

That’s the hope! Even if it’s not perfect, that little forgiveness would help. I want to try one and “powder” the face to see how forgiving the toe hits are…

I'm not going to make it to the range before league tomorrow night and that will be my next chance to play this.

I know it's been answered pretty good above, but I've had no issues going to the wider sole with these. Once the ground gets harder around here I might have some different opinions again, but it's pretty moist everywhere lately and I've had no issues getting the leading edge through the turf or even the thicker rough.

It kind of takes the fun out of the wobbly, no-spin wedge approach shots I enjoy watching fly through the air.

I just figure with the full face it would really help on my miss with the wedges. Out towards the toe, and higher up. Even out of the sand now, everything is way out towards the toe.

The full face did take me some adjustment since its just very different from what I've historically played, but I think now that I've seen the boost to my mental game and confidence around the greens, its not even a thing anymore. Adjusting to the looks is obviously a very personal thing and not everyone will adjust to them, but I've seen enough benefits to my game so far that I would probably continue using these even if it took me a while to fully get used to it.

I spent lunch at the short game practice area at a nearby club. It has become quite apparrent to me that these CB's dont spin the ball as much as my CBX zips, especially when hitting out of the rough. I'm not saying they fdont spin the ball, they just don't produce the really high spin the CBXs will.
That's good and bad, because short releasing pitches and long chips are actually easier to be consistent with since the spin is very predictable and you don't get those surprise toothy shots that bite too hard and come up short.

On the downside, I can get these to stop dead, but hitting safety past a tucked pin and pulling it back is not happening for me.

Since I hit more short pitches and chips than I pull the string, I'm sticking with the plan to play them this afternoon.

Last edited:
I have just conducted, what I choose to believe, is the most important test anyone will ever do with these wedges. The results are mind blowing to me. All because I’m no longer a pathetic failure.

Yard chipping is a favorite pastime of mine. If I’m outside watching the kids or killing time before a round I pick a spot in the yard and try hit balls to it. Usually it’s just 4 or 5 balls and then a walk to pick them up. I’m a lazy man so I always try to pick the balls up with the wedge and 9 times out of 10 I try to “dribble” or bounce the ball on the wedge. I always f’n fail. I can get one or three but never more.

Until today. Now it’s so easy. And the only difference is the CB wedge. Is it that forgiving? Do the full face grooves make it that easy? Did I get some microspheres on me somehow and my hand eye coordination dramatically improved? I’m holding a phone in one hand and this magic is still happening!!!

I don’t know. But this is unusual and I love it. And yes I can repeat it over and over now for some stupid reason. I know for some of you this is simple stuff (and yeah I'm just kidding with this post) , but it made my day.

View attachment IMG_0.mp4

Last edited:
I had a bad start to the round yesterday, driving very poorly, couldnt get home in regulation the first four holes, but thanks to the CB's predictability I escaped with 4 bogies in what could have been a monumental disaster. One shot in particular stands out in my mind about what makes these CBs great. I was 52 yards out. Pin was on a very small shelf at the back right corner of the green. Alll the guys in our group failed to make it to the upper shelf. There is no backboard or anything on the green, it falls off into the rough after the shelf. Instead of trying to throw a 58 up there I took the 54, played in back a ball and a half and took a dead hands swing at it. It hit the green 5 yards on, exactly where I wanted, and rolled up 11 yards to the top shelf, to 6' for bogie. And yes, I finally made a must make putt. There were others as well, but getting and staying up on that little top shelf from where I was had the guys ooohing and ahhing. It took some real good distance control the consistency of spin off the CB allowed.
The predictability of these wedges on shots I want the ball to release is amazing. And I love the click and feel........
Now how to get more spin when I want it???? I wonder if a shaft change could help, but my brain says its the lack of laser milling like the CBX's have. I'll keep trying, because I love these things for 90% of the shots I need.......

That's incredible @Nappy. I have to try that. I am so bad at that I can barely hit it 2X in a row.

Test drove the 58* yesterday. Was surprised to see me getting significant more height on my shots compared to what I normally do. I did not have my MD5 58* with me unfortunately, so I couldn't compare. But it was a noticeable increase in height.

I had a bad start to the round yesterday, driving very poorly, couldnt get home in regulation the first four holes, but thanks to the CB's predictability I escaped with 4 bogies in what could have been a monumental disaster. One shot in particular stands out in my mind about what makes these CBs great. I was 52 yards out. Pin was on a very small shelf at the back right corner of the green. Alll the guys in our group failed to make it to the upper shelf. There is no backboard or anything on the green, it falls off into the rough after the shelf. Instead of trying to throw a 58 up there I took the 54, played in back a ball and a half and took a dead hands swing at it. It hit the green 5 yards on, exactly where I wanted, and rolled up 11 yards to the top shelf, to 6' for bogie. And yes, I finally made a must make putt. There were others as well, but getting and staying up on that little top shelf from where I was had the guys ooohing and ahhing. It took some real good distance control the consistency of spin off the CB allowed.
The predictability of these wedges on shots I want the ball to release is amazing. And I love the click and feel........
Now how to get more spin when I want it???? I wonder if a shaft change could help, but my brain says its the lack of laser milling like the CBX's have. I'll keep trying, because I love these things for 90% of the shots I need.......
Love that the roll is already becoming predictable to you. That is great news. We’re you in the fairway or the first cut? It’s a tough distance from the fairway for me. Always worried about sending it sailing from there.

That's incredible @Nappy. I have to try that. I am so bad at that I can barely hit it 2X in a row.

I've been so terrible at it, that I surprised myself. Maybe I've just had the wrong wedges or maybe I'm just reached peak performance. :)

Love that the roll is already becoming predictable to you. That is great news. We’re you in the fairway or the first cut? It’s a tough distance from the fairway for me. Always worried about sending it sailing from there.

Fairway. Nice tight lie.

Went to the short game practice area at the local course this morning before work. I'm getting more and more comfortable with these every day and its not just with one type of stock shot, its really all around the green. I've been seeing tighter groupings on my chips and there's far less chunking, so even if I don't hit it well, at least the ball is at least getting somewhere close and giving me a decent result. I've been able to hit low and high chips no problem. I've also been able to open up the face some and get good results, though I've only tried this with the ball sitting up a bit. With the higher bounce, I'm afraid of blading it into someone across from me or into cars in the parking lot so I haven't played around with this too much. Someone has been practicing in the sand every time I've gone, but I'll try to get some bunker practice to see how these perform in the sand soon. Haven't been this excited about seeing some improvements in my short game in a loooong time.

Went to the short game practice area at the local course this morning before work. I'm getting more and more comfortable with these every day and its not just with one type of stock shot, its really all around the green. I've been seeing tighter groupings on my chips and there's far less chunking, so even if I don't hit it well, at least the ball is at least getting somewhere close and giving me a decent result. I've been able to hit low and high chips no problem. I've also been able to open up the face some and get good results, though I've only tried this with the ball sitting up a bit. With the higher bounce, I'm afraid of blading it into someone across from me or into cars in the parking lot so I haven't played around with this too much. Someone has been practicing in the sand every time I've gone, but I'll try to get some bunker practice to see how these perform in the sand soon. Haven't been this excited about seeing some improvements in my short game in a loooong time.
You might have said it before and I missed it, but what wedges were you playing before the CBs?

Back