You can have lunch with one historical figure, who is it and why?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Been part of a panel conducting job interviews for the last couple of weeks. One of the questions that comes up is if you could have lunch with one historical figure, who is it and why? Now obviously it has nothing to do with the actual job, and mostly, the answer is irrelevant. It throws people off their game a bit so it's fun to see which direction they go. We've had some...interesting answers. So curious, what's your answer?

• Staff
The first Decrescenzo that came over to America. Why is what I'd ask him.
so that his great grandson can hang out someday with a guy named Hawk. That's an easy one.

Winston Churchill - I feel like it would be incredibly fascinating to hear his accounts of the War

Any historical figure? Hmmm

George Washington- love to talk it up with one of the founding fathers

• Staff
Any historical figure? Hmmm

George Washington- love to talk it up with one of the founding fathers
we had someone go that route.

umm.. Adam. Ask him if that apple was worth it. Lol

Through ancestry, we found out that we're actually related to him via marriage.
well now that's cool. No wonder you are now a captain. It's in the blood.

Damn. This is a hard question to answer. Glad you arent interviewing me.

The phrasing of historical figure is different than someone from history. Someone from history, I would want to meet one of my older ancestors.

Historical figure, language aside I always thought meeting Columbus would be kind of fun.

I've wondered what it would be like to get to talk with Fredrick Douglass and get his perspective on society today.

Che Guevara. I have a complicated idea of what I should think of this man. Causes he fought for were noble but tactics used and what was left behind were disgusting. Coming up from a upper class background and then seeing poverty first hand led him to action. I want to respect that part of things but I want to discuss why things needed to turn so dark. Would discuss the current climate and how he might have changed things.

I want to have lunch with Gene Kranz. Understand how he kept his team cool and focused during the Apollo 13 mission to bring those astronauts home safely.

This is really tough.

I think I would go with Winston Churchill. I find WWII to be particularly interesting and it would be very cool to hear stories behind decisions that were and/or were not made

FDR, he dealt with so much during his time as president. I'd really like to have a candid discussion about those days and what he had to endure, his decisions and what led to the outcomes. Fascinating stuff!

I'd love to talk to one of the early astronomers (any of them) and tell them how much new stuff we know about the universe and it's size, and just see their reaction

I'm going to lead with Arnold Palmer. It is one of my biggest regrets in life not making a point to say hello to him in any sort of capacity, and to be able to fill that void would be incredibly useful to my soul.

I'll come back later for a fancier selection, but he's immediately who comes to mind.

My first thought was Jefferson and to ask about the Louisiana Purchase among other things. Upon further reflection, it might be nice to talk to a golfer from the early 20th century and possibly play a round or two with each other's equipment. Perhaps someone like Ted Ray. It would be fascinating to have Ray and DeChambeau exchange ideas about power.

Likewise, talking to an early architect would be fascinating. What would Alister MacKenzie say about RTJ and RTJ Jr. Would he find kindred spirits in guys like McClay-Kidd or Coore/Crenshaw?

Not as historical as his partner, but Friedrich Engels. Only because I'd like a better understanding of a couple of things. I read a lot.

I did my fair share job interviews as an employer. My favorite question to the perspective employee was what they would do if I showed up on their job site drunk. All kinds of answers, that ranged from having me arrested for DUI, to calling someone to get me some help.

Back