Would you get work done on your clubs at Dick's Sporting Goods??

I have a well-known golf store nearby but still about a 30 minute drive or so. And I have a Dick's Sporting Goods about 10 minutes away from the house and it's on the way home from work too which makes it very convenient... I was thinking about just taking them up to Dick's since it's a lot closer and easier to get to.
as a point of reference, I commute one day a week into the office - 150 miles (2.5-3.5 hours depending on traffic) each way.

I'd spend the extra 20 minutes in the car to get it done right, ymmv.

I hate how good my fitter at CC is because the clubs are well made but it’s so expensive o_O
What good is having money if you can't use it to buy stuff you enjoy?

I was at Doogies for my takeout 2ft hotdog, fries, and drink. I enjoyed eating the fries outside on a rare day of nice weather in New England.
As I was leaving an elderly guy complained that their hot dogs were too expensive! For that much money he could have made five hot dogs.
Sure, but I just want one hot dog cooked by an expert on freshly baked bread. Hopefully I never become like that elderly guy.

Last edited:
What good is having money if you can't use it to buy stuff you enjoy?

I was at Doogies for my takeout 2ft hotdog, fries, and drink. I enjoyed eating the fries outside on a rare day of nice weather in New England.
As I was leaving an elderly guy complained that their hot dogs were too expensive! For that much money he could have made five hot dogs.
Sure, but I just want one hot dog cooked by an expert on freshly baked bread. Hopefully I never become like that elderly guy.

I agree haha I’ve got no problem spending money there, they do good work. There’s always a premium for quality product and services, and from my experience has been a solid investment

Can you meet/see/speak to the person doing the work? Get an idea of their experience? The job by itself should not be hard for a facility with the proper equipment and at least moderate knowledge.

Don’t you put bikes together?
Some times, however, my mechanical skills are significantly better than the "assembler" of department store bikes.

We make a lot of money on rebuilding brand new bikes purchased from Dicks Sporting Goods and other big box retailers.

Some times, however, my mechanical skills are significantly better than the "assembler" of department store bikes.

We make a lot of money on rebuilding brand new bikes purchased from Dicks Sporting Goods and other big box retailers.
I understand and have no doubt of what you speak. Having bought both cheap and not cheap i do get it.

I understand and have no doubt of what you speak. Having bought both cheap and not cheap i do get it.
Forks on backwards, brakes not even close to being adjusted, etc. Typically those guys get paid per piece they assemble, so quantity is more important than quality.

right after Walmart changes my engine, why is this a question

Found Dick's to be good for grips, haven't tried anything else.

No Way GIF by GIPHY News

Dick's wouldn't be my first choice but have no direct knowledge about how well they do what they do. How about checking local courses, some used to use small, local, club repair businesses for offering repairs, not sure anymore. Or some driving ranges might offer different repair services, or obviously a big box store near or far.

I wouldn't.

Depends on the employee doing the work. If it's the guy who puts together the fitness equipment and bikes, nope.

It depends on if I know who is doing the work. In general it would make me nervous.

Hell No. I’d only trust them to do grips & wouldn’t even trust them for a putter grip

Not Dicks, but, Golf Galaxy might be an alternative, because it is strictly golf. Talked to a few guys who work there about grips, shafts, weighting of clubs, and the answers were pretty good. You can tell if someone has good golf knowledge, or they don't. For me though, it would probably be PGASS, if it were something I could not fix, or assemble on my own. They have all the machines, in plain view, behind the service desk. I have stood in line there, watching them regrip a set of clubs numerous times. Getting fitted at PGASS is not a bad thing either, but I really have to have a good feeling about the person doing the fitting. Once, my BIL and I were paired for a round with a fellow, and after a few holes I asked his handicap, and he said it was 4. I told the BIL he played like a 4 earlier, just taking a guess. He told us he worked at PGASS as a fitter. I would feel good about him doing the fitting. GolfTec would be a great place for a club fitting, along with Club Champion..

Interesting responses. I’m a 100% YES.

My local Dicks golf department does a lot of club work. It’s run by a few older, retired, second job guys that love golf! I’ve become good friends with all of them and know who does what best. Grips are a no brainer. I’ve had these guys replace shafts, cut shafts, add length, etc…. I’ve watched them pull, switch, and reinstall adapters. My guys are as good as any out there.

sh***y work can be done anywhere. Depends on who’s doing it. Know who’s doing your work. 😉

Last edited:
To be honest, it depends on who would be doing the work. I don’t think every DIck’s has people experienced in club repair.

Can you meet/see/speak to the person doing the work? Get an idea of their experience? The job by itself should not be hard for a facility with the proper equipment and at least moderate knowledge.
I'm not going to say no, or that I wouldn't have this type of repair/work done at DSG but because it's DSG. I'd absolutely be cautious but if their club repair guy had a good reputation I'd let them/him do the work.

Don't judge a book by it's cover - I knew a guy who was a custom club builder who's made 1000's of clubs. He worked at DSG and did all their work. He was really good, and also had a lucrative business he ran out of his garage.

No, but it all depends. I thought that way of the PGATSS as well but there are 2 guys at the local shop who do a terrific job and I only bring in stuff when they are working. Eventually, when we get a house, I'd like to dip my toes into the club building waters since I seem to get a lot of work done.

I wouldn't trust them to take an adapter off. That can be a finicky process - easy to discolor, warp or break the adapter when applying heat to release the epoxy. Re-gripping maybe, but I typically do that myself.

A good friend of mine, who I played a lot of golf with, was a club tech for Dick's before he retired. I would trust him to do any kind of work on my clubs, nobody else at Dick's.

All I'm looking to get done is switching out the adjustable adapter from one shaft to another, both a driver shaft and a fairway wood shaft. I have a well-known golf store nearby but still about a 30 minute drive or so. And I have a Dick's Sporting Goods about 10 minutes away from the house and it's on the way home from work too which makes it very convenient... I was thinking about just taking them up to Dick's since it's a lot closer and easier to get to. But not so sure if they're trustworthy when it comes to their club service/repair... Have you had anything done at Dick's Sporting Goods when it comes to something like this? How was the quality and turnaround time?
Generally speaking, no. One, I do my own club work when I can. Second, I've seen too many retail employees who have no clue what they're doing talking about stuff, I'm not letting them touch my clubs. The caveat to this is that I know and golf with a guy who works at Dicks as a cure for boredom a couple days a week, and I would trust my clubs with him.

There is an older guy that's worked in the golf department for some years at the DSG store I frequent. I've watched him change grips and stuff in passing while I'm there. I'll have to talk to him and get a feel on what all he can do there. I trust the golf store that's about 30 minutes away from me but it's inconvenient to get there during the week and I'm busy as hell lately on weekends. Lol. But it's worth a chat with the old dude at Dick's for this or future needs.

No. Absolutely not.

Depends on who is doing it. Would not be my first choice.

Back