Would you ever take driver out of the bag pending the course you are playing?

There are a few courses around here that I would be fine not using driver. I'm starting to realize that really finding the fairway is very important compared to hitting the ball over 300 yards. Sunday I played at Stonelick from the tips that plays 7200ish and I was out driving one of the guys by 50+ yards. He ended up shooting 76 to my 81. So I'd say play it smart and have a good look into the green.

I’m with those who say driver is in the bag and will be played unless it’s an Executive or Par 3 Course. I need the distance. Also, I am accurate enough with my Driver that it will always be in the bag and in play.

It's always in the bag.

I'm working on a 70% 1/2 Driver swing to get my sync correct. This normally results in a low straight drive so may get rid of the 3w and stick with this and then I can use the Driver everywhere.

So NO....

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

I never take the most forgiving club out of my golf bag.

According to the strokes gained experts hitting driver is a better play in most cases except when driver will bring hazards or bunkers into play.

Every month I’m confronted with this decision when we play in the SE Georgia Senior interclub matches from the Sr. Tees. Often I do take driver out of the bag because on the courses we play it will get me into trouble from the more forward tees.

Some of my best rounds have been played without driver in the bag.

I do not for a lot of the reasons already mentioned here. I'm just not as confident in my 3w off the tee as I am in my driver. I can always take a little off the driver if needed.

This has never happened before.

Benefits to leaving driver at home:
1) 3-wood from a tee box is within 20 yards of driver.
2) shorter shafted 3-wood is easier to hit consistently straight than driver
3) tempo improves (for all clubs within the bag) when driver is out of the picture
Benefits of using driver:
1) 20+ yards longer than 3 wood
2) it’s more fun to hit than 3 wood

I could have yesterday. I mean literally there were 5 par 4s I would have been capable of driving but didn’t try. One of the par 5s I drove to 75 out. I hate that course. Just not a fun way to play for me.

I have not ever taken the driver out and don think i would unless i had a really good 3 wood i liked or some sort of 2nd driver option.

Not literally for a specific course, but I have just not used one and went with 3W or 2I off the tee.

And there have been plenty of times I should have.

According to the strokes gained experts hitting driver is a better play in most cases except when driver will bring hazards or bunkers into play.

Every month I’m confronted with this decision when we play in the SE Georgia Senior interclub matches from the Sr. Tees. Often I do take driver out of the bag because on the courses we play it will get me into trouble from the more forward tees.

Some of my best rounds have been played without driver in the bag.
I'm with you playing from the Sr. Tees.
When I do, I maybe use my Driver 3x - Rest is 3W or Driving Iron from the tee.
Keeps me out of the Hazards.

right now I should probably take the driver out of the bag anyway. It's absolutely killing me.

I’m so glad I know my game well enough to not have to depend on strokes gained to make decisions. I can’t imagine…

I know I've told this story before but the first time I ever broke 80 my buddy tossed my driver in the trunk of his car and told me "You're hitting your 3w today" Shot 78

Nope, driver is my best club in the bag, I will hit it when averages say it isn't the best play. I figure I would rather be 15 to 20 yards longer than my 3 wood and just off the fairway.

No, and I don't hit it all that often on any course, 3W for me, but I have no reason to take it out, nothing to replace it with that I need, and I like having driver for the few times I can pull it.

Harry Potter No GIF

I never used my driver 2 years ago in the club championship and finished 2nd net 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have in the past and dont doubt i would again.

I'm playing 54 holes this weekend on some short, narrow, dogleg loving tracks. After reviewing them on Shot Scope My Strategy, it appears driver may only be the play on around 6 on them, unless I really get in the groove. It has me considering whether driver gets a slot in the bag if it will only be used 6 times, being replaced by the second driver or 4 wood.

It made me want to ask, have you ever pulled driver based on the course? It's an interesting thought experiment to me.
Driver not really, fairway or wedges I might adjust

Wouldn't consider it. I need the distance and it's the club I'm most confident hitting.

Back