Worst Hole of the Day - DOUBLE PAR OR WORSE ONLY!!!

As only I can do, on the mens league we play 9 each week. A number of weeks ago we started off on a Par 5, 475 yards so not very long as par 5's go.

:banghead:

Shot 1 - Snap hook out of bounds to the left
Shot 3 - Slice right in thick rough side hill lie feet below the ball
Shot 4 - slice right, out of bounds
Shot 6 - slice right out of bounds
Shot 8 - place it about 100 yards from the green
Shot 9 - sand wedge past the green
Shot 10 - flop on the green
Shot 11 - putt
Shot 12 - putt

:banghead:

the best part about this was that the guy I was playing against shot a 13 LOL

Golf tryouts this morning, huge dogleg left pafr 4, 400 yards. Hit my drive pure, but left into an environmental hazard. I drop on the other side, hit an 8 iron 10 yards short of a huge lake in front of the green. 100 yards left, I pull sand wedge, put it long into a huge bank. Pin is tucked back, impossible shot from a thick lie above the hole, hack it out to like 7 or 8 yards, still in the rough. I am faced with a downslope and a pin that is only a few paces on the green(from my angle). I hit a flopadopalous, land it next to hole, but it releases down the hill to 20 feet. I 2 putt for an 8. I went from being 3 over thru 14, to 7 over.

The 12th at my local muni course is a toughie on a good day. It's a 420 yard from the whites, fairly uphill, tree-lined, dog-leg left par 4. I know that I definitely to place it on the left side of the fairway to even have a chance in two.

I had been driving the ball poorly all day, so I decided to take 4 wood off the tee. Since it was going up hill, I didn't think I would loose that much distance anyway.

First shot, caught it solid but but yanked it too far into the tree on the left side. Ball bounced back --> advanced the ball only about 150 yards and the ball is on the left roughs after the bounce, 40 yards before the dogleg left, with trees in front (no chance of cutting the corner). Decided to play hero since I figured the 'safe' play would just be to pitch out to the corner and even then I would have a tough go for the green from there. Decided to try to hook it around the corner with my hybrid. Figured if I can advance it in that general direction I'd still be better off.

Hooked it right around successfully.... and right up against another tree... Now I only had about 120 to the hole. Decided to pitch out to the middle of the fairway since I got tired of playing in the trees. Hit it a higher than I wanted to and hit a branch... landed in a giant monster of a divot. It ahd been raining in the morning so the divot was super soft. Knowing my tendency to hit these shots fat, I tried to pick it clean... and caught it thin and sailed the green... and back into the trees.

This time, landed in a muddy patch in the trees, facing a downhill pitch to with the pin 15 feet away. Green sloping hard away... Possibly the worst place to be in on this hole. It took me 2 shots to get onto the dance floor, with the ball rolling down to the bottom of the green, 30 feet away. Took me 2 more putts (including a fortunate 11 footer) to come out with an 8.

Long par 5. Tee ball nestled up against a tree trunk in the middle of a waste bunker. Took my unplayable drop and next shot was across the fairway about 150 yards into the water. Took my drop and hit into the greenside right bunker. Chip out and two putt. YUCK YUCK YUCK

185 yd par 3 into the wind. This calls for the 19* hybrid (I'm not a long hitter). Because of the wind, I decided a little more 'oomph' is called for--bad choice. Topped the ball into some weeds a few feet in front of me. Hitting 3rd shot off the tee, aaaand... slice! off the toe and into the weeds to the right. Luckily it was a water hazard so I could at least take a drop near those weeds. Had to hit a 100 yd approach shot and one-putt just to save my "double par" 6.

Played last wed with friends at Trappers Turn, the 1st par 3 hole we all bungled up but mine was easily the worst. Lost a ball, took a drop & finished up a lovely 7. Could not get the speed of the greens down at all, everyone of them was a different speed.

The other day MO and I played, and I can't remember what hole it was (5 or 6 - - - it's at MO's course). It's a Par 5 (I think?) that has a dogleg right just befor the green with a pond protecting it. You have to stay left on this hole because there are trees protecting the entire right side. Until you get to within 60 to 70 yards you have to deal with the trees on the right.

Shot 1: decent drive.
Shot 2: 3 wood that I aimed left to slice back in, but it went straight (into the woods on the left)
Shot 3: Had MO go ahead and show where the opening throught the left side trees were for a good approach through an opening in the trees, just a 50 yard shot or so, to about 100 yards out. (I could have hit it under the trees to the fairway, but if I ran it too far, then the trees on the right would come into play)
Shot 4: chunked it about 50 yards to middle of the fairway.
Shot 5: about 50 yards to the green, put it in the drink.
Shot 7: dropped it in the same spot, put it in the drink.
Shot 9: dropped it aain, put it about 25-30 feet past the hole, barely on the green.
Two-putt for an 11.

I hate that hole! I usually am always on the right side all the way up and this time I played it up the left and took my worst score ever on the thing.

Playing yesterday - par five fourth hole.

Drive left into the trees.
Provisional
Drive further left into the trees.
Walk up and find the first ball sitting nicely with an opening, and some white posts outside of which my ball is lying. OB. Oh dear.
Not going back to the tee, so I drop one, hit my next shot a bit left and it clips the top of a tree and comes back at me.
Chip it out to the fairway.
Miss the green left.
Chip on.
Putt.
Putt.
Putt.

For what would be a 12 if my third tee shot had finished where I dropped the ball. Not pretty.

The other day MO and I played, and I can't remember what hole it was (5 or 6 - - - it's at MO's course). It's a Par 5 (I think?) that has a dogleg right just befor the green with a pond protecting it. You have to stay left on this hole because there are trees protecting the entire right side. Until you get to within 60 to 70 yards you have to deal with the trees on the right.

Shot 1: decent drive.
Shot 2: 3 wood that I aimed left to slice back in, but it went straight (into the woods on the left)
Shot 3: Had MO go ahead and show where the opening throught the left side trees were for a good approach through an opening in the trees, just a 50 yard shot or so, to about 100 yards out. (I could have hit it under the trees to the fairway, but if I ran it too far, then the trees on the right would come into play)
Shot 4: chunked it about 50 yards to middle of the fairway.
Shot 5: about 50 yards to the green, put it in the drink.
Shot 7: dropped it in the same spot, put it in the drink.
Shot 9: dropped it aain, put it about 25-30 feet past the hole, barely on the green.
Two-putt for an 11.

I hate that hole! I usually am always on the right side all the way up and this time I played it up the left and took my worst score ever on the thing.

That would be #8, I hate that hole too. I've been playing that course for two years now and have only birdied it once and parred it once. :banghead:

Dont have any of my own recently, but my buddy posted a classic blow up on hole #17; par 4, 450ish yards, trees on left, hwy (out of bounds) on right, bunkers up the right side of fairway, front-right greenside bunker.

Shot 1: Tees off, pops ball up, lands among a few large trees 30 yds to the left.
Shot 2: Ball bounces off tree, shoots backwards and right about 20 yds, rolls out of bounds.
Shot 3: Drop.
Shot 4: Mishit, dribbles into fairway bunker about 120 yds ahead.
Shot 5: Chooses too low of club, ball hits top of bunker, still in sand.
Shot 6: Advances about 70 yds.
Shot 7: Long shot, ends up rolling behind tree on left side of bunker.
Shot 8: No shot at pin, forced to pitch to other side of green.
Shot 9: Long putt, leaves a 4ft putt.
Shot 10: Holes it.

The only thing I said during the whole ordeal was "atleast you didnt three putt" as we walked off the green, to which I got a glare and shake of the head...

And in true fashion, I jinx myself from the prior post. Headed out this morning for a quick back 9. Didnt warm up. Hole #1, par 5, 530ish yds, dog-leg right.

Shot 1: Case of the shanks, way right.
Shot 2: Hit a provisional. Shot slices right into hardpan/desert scrub.
Shot 3: Cant find shank ball. Have to hit prov.
Shot 4: Fat shot towards the fairway, finds a shrub first.
Shot 5: Unhittable. Drop.
Shot 6: Successful punch onto the fairway, leaves me with a 180ish shot but have to fade around some pine trees.
Shot 7: Hit the trees.
Shot 8: Cant find ball, have to drop.
Shot 9: From 70ish, hit a worm burner right of the green, 20 yds past.
Shot 10: Chip, left it on the fringe.
Shot 11: Chip, 8 ft to the hole.
Shot 12: Putt, miss by 6 inches.
Shot 13: Putt and out!

Definitely the worst hole I think I've ever had. Lost 2 balls, and alot of confidence....:banghead:

My worst was being even par through 6 and coming to a long par 5 7th at Morningstar. The tee box is elevated and there was a stiff wind in our face I tried hitting a low ball off the tee and hooked it into some tall grass, went down and could not find the ball, had to go back and hit three from the tee which I sliced into a bunkeron the second teir of the hole. Then I hit 4 thin and landed in the right rough in front of a tree, 5 was a fade around the tree to a bunker on the left side of the fariway, 6 was in a bunker the was 6ft deep on the right side of the green, 7 was over the green onto a hill, 8 was on the green...for a little whil and then rolled into the same bunker I had just hit out of, 9 was on the green for a two put 11, things didn't get much better from then on out...

had a couple today, but 17th par 4, strong cross wind right to left so i aim right side of fairway, hit a strong drive, wind takes it all the way OB.
2nd ball...i try to keep it down a bit but hook it OB.
3rd ball, low stinger middle of fairway. chip up and 2 putt for what would be a par with my third ball, but including penalties an 8 :(

Right, hole 15, par 5 dog leg to the left around water. On the first shot just as I am coming through with the driver a large crow flies into my line of sight carrying off the sandwich I had left by my bag. I hit a sky shot into a strong wind and left it about 10 yards in front of the women's tee. (1)

Second shot was good, (2) I tried to keep to low and it landed close to the water on the corner of the leg, but not in. I could see it sitting up. I walk over there thinking thank god it wasn't buried in the mud or in the water. As I step over to the ball, my shoe sinks into the mud and water floods into my shoe. The shot is an explosion of water and mud which travels about 30 yards forward. (3)

With my lunch flying off into the distance and my right foot soaked with mud and water by next shot was predicable. Waaay too heavy and the wind carried it over the green and into the back of the sand trap. (4). At the trap I find the ball half buried in the rear side of the bunker. Impossible shot. I did my best getting it out of the side of the bank and into the middle of the trap. (5)

The next shot was pretty good. A nice out into the wind- which left me covered in sand and since I was still covered in mud it would not brush off. (6) Two puts finished the hole (7) (8) for the dreaded snowman.

For the next 3 holes I was covered in mud and sand, one foot was soaked and I was hungry.

But I still had a great day!

7 on a Par 3! Bunker problems!!!

Played hole #4 at Dell Urich this afternoon and hooked a 7 iron off the tee into the next fairway. Tried to hoist a 9 iron over a tree blocking my way. Hit the tree and dropped it in a terrible lie. Duffed that shot into the bunker. Splashed it out of the bunker close, I thought. Not to be, the ball caught the slope and ran 25 ft away downhill. I two putted from there for a 6. We finished the 18 and decided to play on as we still had daylight. Second time at this hole, I decided not to play conservative. I drove the green, brushed the cup with my eagle putt and made the 12" come back putt for a birdie.

Hole 5 - Par 3, 165 yards from the white tees - The shot is over a very deep ravine (30 feet or so) with woods on both sides. The green is set a bit to the right with a small landing area in front and there is a giant oak tree to the left. Past the green is the cart path and more trees.

• I took a 5i off the tee. First shot was off of the toe and went deep into the woods on the right side.
  • I took my penalty as there was no way I was finding the ball.
  • Next tee shot was slightly thinned so it hit the top edge of the ravine and it bounced down to the bottom.
  • Fourth shot was a gap wedge that again hit the top of the hill, this time it bounced halfway down.
  • Fifth shot was a lob wedge that popped up great and landed about 5 feet in front of the green.
  • Sixth shot was a 7i chip that I hit to soft and stopped about 30 feet from the hole.
  • Seventh shot was a putt I left five feet short.
  • Eighth shot was a putt that I lipped. Ugh.
  • Ninth shot was a tap in.

There you go. It sucked :arrogant:

Hole 6 - Par 4, 371, creek runs across the middle at 200 (left) to 250 (right)

Shot 1 Hit a 5i from the tee to layup to the middle of the FW, about 180 out.
Shot 2 5i - SHANK - way right on another hole
Shot 3 (stroke 4) 5i - SHANK - way right on the same hole as shot #2
Shot 4 (stroke 6) 5i - SHANK - way right on same hole as #2 and #3

I then stopped playing that hole... took my 8 (+4) and moved on. 3 Shanks on the same hole is not fun. But I did manage to find all the golf balls on the other hole, the first 2 were about 3 feet apart, and the 3rd was 10 yards behind it. I could have played any of them, over the trees and back to the correct hole, but was too pissed off. This was my first round of the year... so I must have been doing something wrong.

Last edited:
8th hole yesterday, a 430yd par 4. Wind was blowing across the hole maybe 5-10mph I tee up the drive and hit probably my bst drive of the round, it takes off and stays low ( versus the balloons I had been hitting previous to this hole) it stops rolling on the right side of the fairway, still have just over 200yds to the hole. Pin in the front, I choose my 5w over my 3w and hit another beautiful shot which stops roughly 25 yds from the green. From the fringe of the green the hole is maybe 30 ft beyond that so I have rougly 35-40yd to get to the hole. I am thinking par which would be great after the crappy start I have already had to this round. I take out my 49* niblick figureing to hal-3/4 swing and lob one onthe edge and let it roll to the hole. I then do what I have done a thousand times befoe and I slow down my downswng, do not follow through and hit a piece of :poop: that goes maybe 15 yds infront of me. I expell some anger ( I am from NY you can figure out what I did or said) then line up again to repeat the same shot and I do it again, the exact same mistake this time landing the ball on the edge of the green. I toss my niblick to the side and decide to use my putter from here. Slightly up hill putt I leave it short about 2 feet, the putt again and send it just past the hole on the right side then tap in for a 7. I went roughly 400 yards on two shots and it took me 5 more to go the other 30. :angry:

I then do what I have done a thousand times befoe and I slow down my downswng, do not follow through and hit a piece of :poop: that goes maybe 15 yds infront of me. I expell some anger ( I am from NY you can figure out what I did or said) then line up again to repeat the same shot and I do it again, the exact same mistake this time landing the ball on the edge of the green.

I can feel your pain here WR. This is common problem I have.

I played the back 9 at Nonesuch. The fairways are wooded on both sides and there are some forced carries. My story if the par 4 14th. It is a 358 yard dogleg right. There is a 15 or so yard gully right in front of the tee box. The fairway itself is fairly wide on this hole, 40 yards or so. The left side is wooded with underbrush. The tee boxes are on the right side, so you need to have bad aim or a serious hook to end up in them. The right side is mature pine trees with no real underbrush, unless you hit it in deeper.The ground in there is uneven though.

I tee off with my 3 w and hit a real low draw 163 yards into the fairway. I've been dealing with a hook, so I aimed down the right side of the fairway. I'm about 150 or so out but I didn't fully clear the corner. I can see the green and the pin but the right side trees are definately in play if I go for it.

I decide to layup with my PW to setup an easy third shot to the green. I hit a nice high shot, that's fairly straight but my aim is a touch right. I see it land on the cart path and it hops a few times closer to the green. I take relief from the path and I'm 50 or so yards from center.

I grab my new 56* niblick to pitch on. I swing and come up a bit and skull my ball over the green into the underbrush that's on the left side of the green. My ball is just in the bushes but I have no shot.

The green is raised from where I am by a good 7 feet. I take my unplayable drop and it rolls closer to the bushes but stops. The green is probably 2 yards from where I'm standing, so this is a fairly steep slope I'm on, a bit more the 45*.

I chip the ball with the niblick and it's weak. The ball gets near the crest and rolls back down to my right. I chip again and get on but I'm 14 feet short of the hole. I line up my putt and leave the ball 3 feet from the cup. Luckily I sink the next one, for my snowman.

This hole was a picture of my entire round. I actually had one of my better tee shots and was in the short grass but being a touch too far right/short I couldn't go for the green. I then hacked up my shortgame. Bah.

Yesterday, the 8th hole at San Ignacio turned nasty on me. It is a very tight par 5 that plays very tough on a good day. With the wind howling into our faces, tough took on a whole new meaning. I played 3 iron off the tee as this is the smart play considering the very narrow landing area. I missed the fairway by 2 yards and ended up in the middle of a brush pile. I chipped out. Hit a 5 iron to avoid more trouble only to have the wind blow it into the desert again. I tried to chip out, caught on a root and dropped it back in the desert. Next shot from a bush I managed to get it back into the fairway. I hit 8 iron to give me about 70 yards in, hit a wedge onto the green. Three putted from 50 ft. The only trouble I avoided was the bunker on the left front of the green. I only lost the hole by one stroke to everyone else.

This is why I gave up playing on windy desert days. Last time I did that, I had a 105 yd approach to the green. 49 Niblick, aimed 10 yds right for the wind, and hit it pure. The ball goes straight, and then kinda does this rolling over to the left manuever (looked like a plane doing a loop), and then comes back towards me. Short and left of the hole by 20 yds. :banghead: Windy days I work on the range or putting/pitching greens.

This is why I gave up playing on windy desert days. Last time I did that, I had a 105 yd approach to the green. 49 Niblick, aimed 10 yds right for the wind, and hit it pure. The ball goes straight, and then kinda does this rolling over to the left manuever (looked like a plane doing a loop), and then comes back towards me. Short and left of the hole by 20 yds. :banghead: Windy days I work on the range or putting/pitching greens.

Yesterday, 18 is a par 4, 370. I hit driver to 135 yards. My approach would be dead into the wind and I figured it was a 3 club wind. I pured a 5 iron from 135 and landed 10 yards short in the pond fronting the green. I could not believe this, so I dropped another and hit the same 5 iron into the exact same spot. I then dropped with 77 yards left in and hit 8 iron 5 yards over the pin onto the green. The pelican in the picture I posted in the wildlife thread was beside that green, when he flew off, he barely got airborne before the wind took him backwards.

Back