Windshield Wiper Blades

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I was looking to buy new WWB's and was very surprised at the prices for a decent pair. I did some research and found a way to "reclaim" my current wiper blades: take a dry cloth, spray a portion of it with WD-40, and clean the blades. So far it has worked very well. So, if you're in the market for new WWB's, you may want to give this a try.

Wiper blades are like tires for me. When it’s time to replace them, I just replace the whole car instead. 😎

I feel like mine costed 16 bucks each when I replaced them this fall. It wasn’t to bad and they last a year or two, I get mid range and they work while they work. With all of our ice and junk I don’t put much stock into their longevity.

Costco had some Michelin wiper blades for $21.98/pair that work well. I’m the opposite of @stryper as we have cars with 148k, 111k, 96k, and 16k miles on them.

Is’nt it the material that makes a difference ? … l do recall them
With silicone added in blade manufacture so it slides more ? This maybe advertising gimmick too.

Depends where you are over there , as l
Reckon temp extremes would thrash wiper blades

I've been sticking to Bosch blades here lately. My truck lives outside and we get all four seasons, so they usually last about a year before I get tired of cleaning them and grab a new set. I'm a little OCD about certain car things and wiper blades are one of them. $40 a year for me is a reasonable tradeoff for good visibility in the rain/snow.

Rubbing alcohol on a towel removes all of the "dead" rubber from the edge of the blade. I'd be concerned that WD-40 would cause smearing/streaks. What I would use WD-40 for is the hinge of the wiper arm. Over time corrosion develops in the pivot point and reduces the spring's ability to apply downward pressure on the arm reducing the wiper's effectiveness.

I spend a lot of time behind the wheel, so my truck gets new blades twice a year. I also try to avoid using the wipers as an ice scraper come winter, although I don't always follow my own rule.

Costco had some Michelin wiper blades for $21.98/pair that work well. I’m the opposite of @stryper as we have cars with 148k, 111k, 96k, and 16k miles on them.
I picked up a pair of those today and replaced mine

So as a dad joke I gave 3 of our 4 daughters wiper blades and fluid for Christmas. Youngest doesn’t drive and got an umbrella and purple Gatorade.

Two of the three had blades that were split, one was hanging off the frame by about 6”. 🤣

Last week I got put in the dog house because wifey had to stop in rain storm to get hers replaced.

$250 worth of blades in a month. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Took my car in for a recall/service and they told me I should probably replace my wiper blades (I was thinking the same thing when it rained last week). Not sure what they wanted to charge me at the dealership but guessing $70-100. On Amazon a set would cost about $44. Costco after shipping/tax was $24.24. Always check Costco kids (if you have a membership obviously).

I replaced mine with silicone blades. Yes they are expensive, but I won't have to change them for years.

I've bought those many times but haven't felt that they last very long. But the price is right...
I get about 20k miles out of them but I don’t mind replacing them every 18 months as they only take a few minutes to install.

I get about 20k miles out of them but I don’t mind replacing them every 18 months as they only take a few minutes to install.
Funny story, we were visiting some friends in North Port in December. They have BMW 330i and one of the headlights went out as we got home from dinner one night. Surprisingly it was cheap for the bulb and not bad to replace. I did it for them in 15 minutes or so. Our friend mentioned she had some of the wiper blades from Costco that needed installed as well. On a BMW that turned into a much more difficult task. All those parts that come with wiper blades? I think you use a couple of them and to say "some assembly required" would almost be an understatement. And the driver side was slightly different than the passenger side.

Silicone wipers are the most durable by far.

A moist towelette/alcohol wipe is great for renewing old organic rubber blades. Just rub until most of the black degraded rubber is removed. No need to use a towel or cloth.

I have never felt like the more expensive one lasted any longer. I just got some and paid i think 14 bucks each i think. I need to replace my back wiper, so maybe i will try this and see how it does.

I just put in RainX blades and don’t like the streaks it leaves

Going to find some reliable silicone blades

You guys have me checking out silicone ones. Didn't know they were a thing.

We use Trico Chill blades year round on our vehicles at home. County road trucks do the same, and those wipers go through hell during a winter storm or road grading operations.

They don't last very long but I keep buying them because it's convenient. I'm at Costco a few times a month I'm never ever at a place like Autozone.

They don't last very long but I keep buying them because it's convenient. I'm at Costco a few times a month I'm never ever at a place like Autozone.
I just ordered a set of Rain X silicone blades for my 2022 Bronco to see if they last any longer. They were $46 for the pair on Amazon.

Back