Wilson Staff Model ZM Wedges

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
The mad rush of golf’s release season has passed, with many new and impressive products unveiled. While they may have caught many by surprise, Wilson was busy reminding the world they still produce one spectacular-looking iron with the Staff Model Blade and Staff Model CB. They also showed that they could deliver an iron that looks like Belle and plays like Beast with the Dynapower Forged irons. It was only a matter of time before we saw the perfect complementary pieces for these three iron sets, as today, Wilson pulls back the curtain on their new Staff Model ZM wedges.

Continue reading...

This was really good. You're on fire @ddec

I really, really like the shape of the ZM. Pretty much everything about it does the trick for me. Have never loved the look of HT wedges and these are no different in that regard. They both definitely launch high and there's plenty of spin there for you to keep the ball under control.

How's the feel when you compare it to recent wedges you've had in the bag?

Really nice looking wedges, especially the ZM. Price point is solid as well in today's market.

I like the look of both of these options.
I typically play standard in my two lower lofted wedges and then a higher toe model in 60 or above.
I look forward to trying them out.

Good looking wedge. Will have to look at them when I see them.

Good information @ddec. Wilson looks to be headed in the right direction.

• Staff
This was really good. You're on fire @ddec

I really, really like the shape of the ZM. Pretty much everything about it does the trick for me. Have never loved the look of HT wedges and these are no different in that regard. They both definitely launch high and there's plenty of spin there for you to keep the ball under control.

How's the feel when you compare it to recent wedges you've had in the bag?
One takeaway for me is they didn’t feel as head heavy, which isn’t a bad thing. I wouldn’t be shocked if people did a blind test they would take the feel of these over Vokey…which I’m basing that off SM8s I have around.

They look nice, aren’t raw, and probably won’t break the bank. Worth a try!

One takeaway for me is they didn’t feel as head heavy, which isn’t a bad thing. I wouldn’t be shocked if people did a blind test they would take the feel of these over Vokey…which I’m basing that off SM8s I have around.
Very interesting.

Good looking wedge for the most part. I'm not a fan of the blank shield.

You mention the feel which is important in wedges for me, I like that. I also appreciate you going full Bryson and testing the wedges by spraying water haha. Good stuff!

Nice Write up @ddec They look like nice looking wedges.
Anything you can add about the Grinds?

Thanks for a well written and thorugh article. Sounds like they put Rain X on the face for those wet conditions. It nice to see Wilson earning some positive remarks. THP is nothing if not fair. When the product or marketing has not been up to par you guys point it out. Same for when it's on track. I like the brand but i'm not always objective. Glad to see you are. It's on Wilson now to promote a nice line of irons and balls.

These look really clean. Having grind options only in the higher lofts is a good compromise IMO

Good looking wedge for the most part. I'm not a fan of the blank shield.
Good job @ddec

Echo Jdtox's sentiment, not a huge fan of the blank shield and feel like it sticks out like a sore thumb. However I've always said looks are much further down the priority list for me. Haven't seen many WS clubs locally, but I'll likely make it a point to find some and take a swing or two.

I'm digging the looks of the HT. Pretty sharp.

@ddec has been on a heater lately, great review.

I love how clean these look, and really like the logo W/S is going with these days. The high toe option looks really intriguing.

Like the looks. The progressive CG sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind giving a 54 or 60* a go against the CBX2/CBX FF in my bag

This is most excellent. Well done @ddec

Nice Write up @ddec They look like nice looking wedges.
Anything you can add about the Grinds?
I can add this. That's kind of about it. You only get multiple bounce options in 3 of the heads. For 56 it's a 10° or 12°, 58 is 6° or 10°, and 60 is 6° 10° 12°

WG1P0344R52_14_Staff_Model_ZM_Wedge_52_Tech02.png.cq5dam.web.1200.1200.jpeg

While very good looking, but not having a 10 or 12 degree 54 wedge is a non starter for me. My wedges are 50, 54 and 58. I use both my 54 and 58 from the sand and need more bounce than what Wilson offers.

Have the HT 56/60 previous version in the bag. Spin monsters. Great wedges. Looking forward to seeing these!

While very good looking, but not having a 10 or 12 degree 54 wedge is a non starter for me. My wedges are 50, 54 and 58. I use both my 54 and 58 from the sand and need more bounce than what Wilson offers.
I would have liked to see the 54 get some additional options, at least a 10.

Excellent write up. Intrigued.
Wilson’s offerings this release are juicy. I really want to get my hands on these.

Bend a 52° 2° weak. You now have 54/10.

But I understand golfers can be a neurotic bunch and might get the shakes seeing 50-52-58 in the bag 😜

Back