Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Hi guys, I know this thread is getting a little old but thanks to the testers for such great reviews. I just bought a set (5i-SW) and would never have known they existed if not for you guys. They will be ready next week so now the count down begins! I'm interested to see if anyone has tried both the di11s and the Cleveland cg16s. It was a very close race for me with the extra forgiveness and value for money of the di11 winning the day. Thanks again guys.

I'm not a reviewer of these irons, but I've played a couple rounds with both sets. Can't go wrong with either, in my opinion. I think it would come down to personal preference in the end.

Hi guys, I know this thread is getting a little old but thanks to the testers for such great reviews. I just bought a set (5i-SW) and would never have known they existed if not for you guys. They will be ready next week so now the count down begins! I'm interested to see if anyone has tried both the di11s and the Cleveland cg16s. It was a very close race for me with the extra forgiveness and value for money of the di11 winning the day. Thanks again guys.

Congrats on the great buy and kind words, I love these irons and I think you will too. Looking forward to your thoughts on them once you get them out there.

As of yesterday, I became the proud new owner of a set of Di11's. They are absolutely gorgeous!

I took them to the range to compare against my previous set (box set of Top Flite XL). The verdict is still out because my ball-striking was atrocious due to only playing once in the last month and also there was a HEAVY head wind (I'm a high ball hitter to begin with) so the wind just knocked everything down.

Congrats on the new irons! Hopefully you can get out in some decent conditions soon.

As of yesterday, I became the proud new owner of a set of Di11's. They are absolutely gorgeous!

I took them to the range to compare against my previous set (box set of Top Flite XL). The verdict is still out because my ball-striking was atrocious due to only playing once in the last month and also there was a HEAVY head wind (I'm a high ball hitter to begin with) so the wind just knocked everything down.

Sweet! Good luck with them. The Di11's made a bunch of people on THP happy

Hi guys
I'm new to the forum but just wanted to post here saying that because of the fantastic reviews I went out and tried out these clubs at my local shop. Now I am having to wait an agonisingly long 5-10 working days for them to be built to my specs and then I will be taking home a brand new set of Di11's in a half/half shaft.
I've been out of the game for a few years ago and used to shoot in the 70's regularly but most recently shot over 100 after a few year hiatus from the game.
I had been loving the look and the hype surrounding the R11's from taylormade and I went in convinced that I would walk out with a set of those however when I tried them I thought they were good but not great. The guy then handed me a few different clubs and was saying try this try that. Then he handed me a Di11 and said try this. I started hitting the ball purely straight from the middle. It was almost too easy to hit these clubs well and they weren't even set up for me. I'm a bit short so the lie will need to be adjusted but even hitting it with a lie that was too high they were flying further than when I was hitting in the 70's 5 years ago.
I'm hoping that these clubs can bring my mojo back and that I can start playing competitively at local competitions which I haven't done since high school (never been a club member but used to play high school and university competition golf).
Cheers
Rory

Hi guys
I'm new to the forum but just wanted to post here saying that because of the fantastic reviews I went out and tried out these clubs at my local shop. Now I am having to wait an agonisingly long 5-10 working days for them to be built to my specs and then I will be taking home a brand new set of Di11's in a half/half shaft.
I've been out of the game for a few years ago and used to shoot in the 70's regularly but most recently shot over 100 after a few year hiatus from the game.
I had been loving the look and the hype surrounding the R11's from taylormade and I went in convinced that I would walk out with a set of those however when I tried them I thought they were good but not great. The guy then handed me a few different clubs and was saying try this try that. Then he handed me a Di11 and said try this. I started hitting the ball purely straight from the middle. It was almost too easy to hit these clubs well and they weren't even set up for me. I'm a bit short so the lie will need to be adjusted but even hitting it with a lie that was too high they were flying further than when I was hitting in the 70's 5 years ago.
I'm hoping that these clubs can bring my mojo back and that I can start playing competitively at local competitions which I haven't done since high school (never been a club member but used to play high school and university competition golf).
Cheers
Rory

Congrats on the new purchase. It's like music to the ears, you go in thinking of buying a certain set of Irons and come out of the shop with something totally different. Good Luck with your Mojo keep us up to date how these work out for you.

Hi guys
Cheers
Rory

Congrats Rory. I was just hitting these at the range yesterday. They are such a nice set of irons and for the price, can't be beat. Look forward to reading your thoughts on these.

Congrats Rory, I've got the half/half shafts on my set and I'm not sure if I would ever play with any other type of shaft again. Looking forward to your thoughts after you take them around the course a few times

Having only played with a set of irons that would be pushing 15 years old I am very excited to see how 'modern' tech in irons will make them feel different from my old ones. It is easy to fall in love with something shiny and new when you hit a dozen balls at a range but I am excited to go and spend a solid day at the range to get to terms with them. All I have to do is wait for them to be delivered.
In the mean time I'm working my way through the entire review thread, up to page 35 now. Might make it all the way through by the time the clubs come.
The shop I bought them from also had a deal at the time where you get a free hat and wilson staff tour bag with them when you buy them. This didn't affect my decision to buy the clubs at all but it shows me two things. Wilson-staff are pretty keen to get their customer base back (I don't know about overseas but here my perception has always been that they provide those basic cheap golf sets rather than high end clubs) and second is that they are willing to give out something of value (in the bag) to reward their customers. This to me is a sign of a company who has great belief in their product to give away something worth about 15-20% of the clubs to win over customers.
Only thing I'm starting to regret is not ordering a GW with the set but I can always order one later if I find I need it.

Having only played with a set of irons that would be pushing 15 years old I am very excited to see how 'modern' tech in irons will make them feel different from my old ones. It is easy to fall in love with something shiny and new when you hit a dozen balls at a range but I am excited to go and spend a solid day at the range to get to terms with them. All I have to do is wait for them to be delivered.
In the mean time I'm working my way through the entire review thread, up to page 35 now. Might make it all the way through by the time the clubs come.
The shop I bought them from also had a deal at the time where you get a free hat and wilson staff tour bag with them when you buy them. This didn't affect my decision to buy the clubs at all but it shows me two things. Wilson-staff are pretty keen to get their customer base back (I don't know about overseas but here my perception has always been that they provide those basic cheap golf sets rather than high end clubs) and second is that they are willing to give out something of value (in the bag) to reward their customers. This to me is a sign of a company who has great belief in their product to give away something worth about 15-20% of the clubs to win over customers.
Only thing I'm starting to regret is not ordering a GW with the set but I can always order one later if I find I need it.

Oh man you have to get the GW!! My favorite iron in this set

I picked up the clubs today. I was at the shop at 9:01 when they opened with the biggest excited grin you would ever see on a grown man.
First thing I did with the clubs was take them straight to the driving range... well what I thought was the driving range. You see I bought these clubs from my old home town which is about 30miles north of where I live now and I haven't lived there for about 4 years. When I got to the driving range it had been demolished and a new housing estate was sitting where I used to smack golf balls. No biggie I decided, I'd go and play a round at the local course up here, the guy at the shop had given me a voucher to play a round anyway. I got to the course and it was closed for a thursday tournament.
Urgh I'll just head home to play at my local club. When I got there it was abandoned which isn't a huge issue as you can pay the green fees into an envelope except I needed to hire a buggy as I dont own one anymore... and there was no buggies ANYWHERE. I though not a great issue I have to go pick up the fiance after work anyway so I'll go play at the course in the town where she works... this one was closed for a Ladies tournament today too. So I drove 10 minutes down the road to another club to see a big sign up saying that the course is closed due to storm damage (had a big storm the last couple of days).
By this stage I'm just about tearing my hair out, a guy working on the course can see how annoyed I am and comes over to me. I get talking to him and he just says no big deal mate, I can't let you play a round but the first hole is fine so you can use it as a practice fairway for the afternoon if you like. So I did. He even leant me a bucket of balls to hit with and said so long as I go pick them up after he is cool with me practicing there.
So I finally got to take the irons out.
First impression is that these things are long and accurate. I was hitting further than I expected to and even on mishits it was flying. I was able to get some serious height into the ball too which is normally an issue for me. I am a big fan of the half and half shaft as I'm not the strongest and don't have the fastest swing speed so it really helps me to keep my mind on my rhythm rather than having to worry about how fast I'm swinging the club. I was hitting the green from further back than I can ever remember hitting the green and with the spin they produced it would almost stop dead (ground was still very wet too). I tend to agree with some of the other posts in that the clubs about about 1 club longer than the average set. I was using my sand wedge from places I would previously use a pitching wedge. I really think I'm going to need a GW as well, partly to have that option to go for that but also because I NEED another one of these clubs, they look so pretty.
I found all the clubs easy to hit and where in the past the longer irons would haunt me I was able to get the ball up and long with them.
My only qualm about them so far is that they can be TOO forgiving. On mishits I could tell it wasn't coming off sweet but I wasn't getting the feedback from the ball flight or the club to tell me I'd mishit it. It sounds strange but sometimes I need the negative feedback of my hands being jarred to stop me from mishitting the ball. I think I will get used to it over time though and learn what the club does when I mishit without relying on pain.
The bag it came with was pretty great also. They are throwing in a free staff tour bag or stand bag. I opted for the tour bag as I simply can't carry a golf bag around 18 holes due to an old knee injury which sometimes niggles. The bag looks good for a tour bag and is actually very functional. It's not ever going to be the greatest bag in the world or doesn't have 20 fantastic new features but it looks good, is light and will hold everything that I need it to for a round of golf. Will post some pictures when I get them off my camera.
All in all this is one happy golfer... (oh and I 'accidently' tried out some putters when I was there and 'accidently' bought a taylormade ghost spider putter which is coming in sometime next week... whoops)

and some pictures
IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

Great looking clubs...I am torn between these, the R11s, and their newer and slightly thinner brother, the Ci11. Where did you get the deal with getting a bag with your purchase? Don't think they have that in the states....

Well I finally picked up my Di11s (along with the free staff bag) and headed straight to the range. The gap wedge is absolutely spectacular! I also found the 7 iron was pretty great too compared to my old clubs. I didn't hit the 5 iron as well as I would have liked so that will have to be a work in progress, although seeing the cavity at address did give me confidence (I thought I might not like it). It almost has the same confidence inspiring look I get from looking down at my Cleveland Launcher DST hybrids at address... Not sure if that makes sense but I am sure I will hitting these well in no time.

Thanks again to the truly inspiring reviews. As I said before I would never have even considered a Wilson Staff purchase if not for them.

Well I finally picked up my Di11s (along with the free staff bag) and headed straight to the range. The gap wedge is absolutely spectacular! I also found the 7 iron was pretty great too compared to my old clubs. I didn't hit the 5 iron as well as I would have liked so that will have to be a work in progress, although seeing the cavity at address did give me confidence (I thought I might not like it). It almost has the same confidence inspiring look I get from looking down at my Cleveland Launcher DST hybrids at address... Not sure if that makes sense but I am sure I will hitting these well in no time.

Thanks again to the truly inspiring reviews. As I said before I would never have even considered a Wilson Staff purchase if not for them.

Blocka I had some issues with the longer irons as well. In fact, I struggled with the 4I for the entire time. I think I just struggled with the length of the shafts. Once I got to the 5I though this set was money

Thanks for that CL. Funnily enough the reason I got 5i - SW was because of your views! I have a 5 hybrid which will be fine in the interim although it is more in line with a 4i distance wise. I will certainly try and have fun working it all out. My aim is to be down to 18 hcp in 12 months (currently around high 20s) and I certain that these clubs will help me get there.

Thanks for that CL. Funnily enough the reason I got 5i - SW was because of your views! I have a 5 hybrid which will be fine in the interim although it is more in line with a 4i distance wise. I will certainly try and have fun working it all out. My aim is to be down to 18 hcp in 12 months (currently around high 20s) and I certain that these clubs will help me get there.

I think they will as well Blocka. I think long and straight can help anyone lol

I was struggling with long irons too. 4i was a terrorist for me.
But I learned how to swing it properly and now I'm much more successful. Last week I even hit it 170 meters long some 4 meters away from the hole. It was a dead stop 20 cm away from pitchmark and after two putts I scored par, which is a success for me with such a high handicap.

The deal with the bag I think is something here in Australia, it seems to be getting done through all the 'major' golf dealers here at the moment.
When I walked into the store I had my heart set on the R11's. I KNEW that I was going to walk out with a brand new set but after being convinced to try these I knew I couldn't NOT buy them. I am a huge Taylormade fan and would love for every club in my bag to be taylormade however at the end of the day people don't ask you which clubs you used, they ask you what score you shot and I made the decision to use the clubs that I played better with which was a harder decision than you would think. I never tried the Ci11 but I tried a whole bunch of other clubs. There were two that came close and they were the burner 2.0 and the razr x but in the end the Di11 won out for me. Best bet would be to go and try the two side by side and see what you like.

Fantastic that you like these irons too. How do you like the bag? I've never had a staff bag before and can't believe the amount of room I have to put all my crap. I'm glad Wilson are able to offer deals like that to us here. We already pay a higher price than our friends in the US on almost everything so it's nice that they are able to throw in something for free for us.

I was struggling with long irons too. 4i was a terrorist for me.
But I learned how to swing it properly and now I'm much more successful. Last week I even hit it 170 meters long some 4 meters away from the hole. It was a dead stop 20 cm away from pitchmark and after two putts I scored par, which is a success for me with such a high handicap.

I always felt like I could eventually get it going with that iron if I just practiced more with it. I just never could. It's not a bad iron and I"m pretty sure the other testers had success with it. I just couldn't. I'm also a midget so long irons give me fits

I always felt like I could eventually get it going with that iron if I just practiced more with it. I just never could. It's not a bad iron and I"m pretty sure the other testers had success with it. I just couldn't. I'm also a midget so long irons give me fits

this post just made me laugh like crazy

I stopped by my local Golf Galaxy unfortunately they don't carry the Wilson line. I was wanting to test these up against the R-11's and Nike Pro combo's.:angry:

Back