Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

can you work them?

I'll back up what CB said. These were very easy to work. The only issue I would say is flighting the ball. It takes a little work to keep these low. They just want to go high, long, and straight. But left or right was easy peasy

Edit: Great recap CB

I'll back up what CB said. These were very easy to work. The only issue I would say is flighting the ball. It takes a little work to keep these low. They just want to go high, long, and straight. But left or right was easy peasy

Edit: Great recap CB

Thanks man, they do want to go high don't they? I can't totally tell yet if they go too high or not but they go long and they go straight.

Thanks man, they do want to go high don't they? I can't totally tell yet if they go too high or not but they go long and they go straight.

I had no issues in terms of ballooning. I mean some shots got caught up in the wind but it was really blowing that day(20-30 mph) so I'm not going to say that the sticks were to blame. Time will tell. But I"m definitely in the honeymoon phase. Definitely getting a round in this weekend so I can report back. I want to play a tougher course this time.

I had no issues in terms of ballooning. I mean some shots got caught up in the wind but it was really blowing that day(20-30 mph) so I'm not going to say that the sticks were to blame. Time will tell. But I"m definitely in the honeymoon phase. Definitely getting a round in this weekend so I can report back. I want to play a tougher course this time.

I had only one go to high today and that did get caught in the wind, they just get up in the air so fast. I don't see balloning at all I'm just not used to the ball getting up that hight. Honeymoon phase is a great way to describe it right now. I have not hit a bad shot yet with these irons (other than the 4 iron and thats just me) and anytime I stand over the ball I know its going to go right where I want it to.

These definitely inspire confidence. I can say that at no time during my round did I have a thought that I might not hit the shot I wanted to.

Freaking terrific stuff on these guys. I love what Wilson Staff is doing lately for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up CB!

Nice write up CB. Sounds like a nice round with the new sticks

Nice write up CB. Sounds like a nice round with the new sticks

Thanks everyone, I am shocked at how good these are. If someone is looking for new irons they would be doing themselves a disservice not hitting these. At $499 in Canada they are a steal, in fact they would be a steal at $699.

Has anyone tried the half and half shaft? I am looking at these irons or cg 16 irons. Great write up.

Cdenning I think Ron is getting those

Has anyone tried the half and half shaft? I am looking at these irons or cg 16 irons. Great write up.

We will have one tester trying those but I dont think he has them yet. Make sure to check back as he should have them soon.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

I am going to be testing the 1/2 and 1/2. Hoping they will arrive today, want to be able to do a review before CL and CB write everything there is to write about these irons :D

I am going to be testing the 1/2 and 1/2. Hoping they will arrive today, want to be able to do a review before CL and CB write everything there is to write about these irons :D

Oh there is a lot more to say Ron, plus your the guy playing the half and half.

Well, Fedex brought the YES putter I ordered Friday, but still no irons. I am seriously starting to think there is a fedex guy smiling on the back 9 somewhere.

Guys lets please keep this to the irons only. I swear they have been ordered and will show up very soon. Thanks.

Guys lets please keep this to the irons only. I swear they have been ordered and will show up very soon. Thanks.

No one doubts they were ordered JB, we've seen 2 other testers get them. Just antsy after the reviews coming in.

No one doubts they were ordered JB, we've seen 2 other testers get them. Just antsy after the reviews coming in.

My point was that rather than say each day "irons did not arrive" lets just wait for them to arrive. Thanks.

I've been thinking a little more about my round with these yesterday and the grips performed surprisingly well in that I didn't think about them at all. I never once felt them slip or thought once that they didn't feel good. Now they don't feel as good or perform as well as premium grips but nor should they. They are serviceable stock grips that could easily get a golfer through a season of golf, but if you are an avid golfer that plays once a week and goes to the driving range 2-3 times a week you will want to change these out fairly quickly.
The thought that keeps coming back into my mind is confidence. They just inspire more and more confidence with every shot you hit, and they are so forgiving you would have to hit a really bad shot to see a very poor result. I am very happy with my iron swing right now and it feels really grooved right now but I'm sure in the near future when my iron swing goes away for a round or two it will be a true test for how forgiving these are.

Since its -5 celcius here right now and I might not be able to get to the range tomorrow I thought I would take a couple more pics of the irons. These are the 8 and 4 irons.

You can see here how much smaller the head of the 4 iron is over the 8 iron
IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

8- iron at address, no cavity
IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

4 iron at address, now there's a cavity.
IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

Good stuff cool!

Question: do you find the cavity distracting at all?

Good stuff cool!

Question: do you find the cavity distracting at all?

Nope in fact I really like it. You can only see it in the 4 and 5 irons, and it gives me a little extra confidence that I can miss the ball a bit and still get a good ball off and online. 6-GW all you can see is the surprisingly thin top line.

Nope in fact I really like it. You can only see it in the 4 and 5 irons, and it gives me a little extra confidence that I can miss the ball a bit and still get a good ball off and online. 6-GW all you can see is the surprisingly thin top line.

Yeah, stuff like that doesn't bother me too much as well. It sounds like you are digging these sticks quite a bit.

Those stix look really nice. I'm glad you guys a enjoying them.

Went to the range tonight and tried hitting some different shots with these bad boys. Warmed up with some wedges. When I warm up I practice my Pelz wedge shots and man was I on fire with that shot tonight. I really like the wedges in this set. I am getting a very nice mid-high ball flight with these. And as I said before these clubs frame the ball in a very different way then your usual SGI club. I would swear these clubs are GE clubs from 7-GW. 4-5 you can definitely see the cavity. Pretty sure on 6 the cavity might be peeking. But these irons are very sleek for all the forgiveness you get out of them.

So I have been struggling for a while now with trying to hit a controlled fade with my irons. I can hit a decent knuckle fade with the driver but with the irons the fade eludes me. It is either a draw or straight. So tonight I made a concerted effort to hit some fades. Started with my 7 iron and aimed at a flag that is give or take 165 out. I hit some nice straight stock shots that were landing around the green. So I took 6 iron and began trying to hit the fade. First few shots were a disaster. Just bouncing the club about 2 inches behind the ball and was lucky to make contact at all. I will say this about these clubs. When you mishit the ball they tell you. I read all the time how people want to hit muscle backs so that they can feel the mishits. Well these clubs let you know when you mishit. Difference is that with these the ball still travels as if you hit it solidly.

So back to my attempts at a fade. Or should I say my fades. All of a sudden I was hitting these beautiful little cut shots that were just perfect. Nice trajectory and everything. Then I began mixing the shots up so it was more like a real world test instead of just hitting shot after shot and these irons performed flawlessly.

Another thing I noticed tonight is that these clubs seem to favor more of a miss toward the heel rather then toward the toe. Shots hit a little closer to the heel felt like they were hit perfect. No loss in distance and no rattle up your arm. Shots toward the toe I got a bit of a loss in distance but a much more noticeable warning that I had mishit the ball. I like this as I am much more prone to a heel mishit then a toe mishit.

Let me just say that another day of hitting these clubs and another satisfied golfer. The honeymoon continues.

Back