Wilson Golf Goes Off Course

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show and this is episode 198. Hosted by Dan Edwards, each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today, Markus McCaine and Bob Thurman from Wilson Golf join the show to discuss the Wilson Golf Story and the challenges and benefits of being a multi-sport company.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Dan, Markus and Bob dive into all things Wilson Golf including the amazing history. This show has a lot going on and is one you will not want to miss as Bob Thurman and Markus McCaine go Off Course.

Episode 198 is here and Dan, Markus and Bob discuss the following topics.

The Wilson Golf Story
Bob’s 30+ Year Wilson Tenure
Being a Multi-Sport Company – Challenges and Benefits
Wilson vs Wilson Staff
Connecting the Tour to Design and Consumers
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode. If you get a chance, drop us a review wherever you listen from and let others know what you think of the show and/or channel.

The Wilson Golf Story

Continue reading...

I listened to half then got busy. Refreshing to hear people talk about Wilson like a real golf brand. Dan does an awesome job keeping the questions coming and he clearly did his homework. Looking forward to hearing the rest of it

About half way through so far, really good. I had no idea DeMarini was a Wilson brand. Did I hear Louisville Slugger too?

Also love that @Canadan asks the hard questions...last I left off he asked about box sets. Well done sir!

Fantastic interview @Canadan
You asked some of the harder questions that many have been thinking and Markus and Bob didn't shy away from them at all. Very much appreciated that.

I think the piece that has always fascinated me about Wilson is how elite the brand is in other sports. How you drive that to golf seems like such a fascinating project and end goal, especially when you can leverage your relevance elsewhere.

It's hard to break perception though. I see "Franklin" gloves and etc when watching baseball and think back to my hockey days when that was bottom of the barrel budget brand and it's almost impossible to overlook it now. We get SO established in our perspectives.

Awesome job Dan. Loved how you talked about everything from box sets to premium. Also, I loved both Bob and Marcus saying they pay close attention to what is being said on the THP forums. I'd love a follow up more on the product side and even how the apparel blends into the equation. Also, how they are using influencers.

That was a great interview and something I think everybody interested in golf equipment could learn a lot from.

Some things I loved to hear:
  1. Not relying on history. While I do think it has some positives (and I'm a huge fan of nostalgia), it's too easy to get pigeonholed as a brand that "used to be good". This brand needs to be future-focused, because technology in golf is always moving forward.
  2. Using a better product as a way to improve the starter set vs premium equipment challenge. That may be the smartest approach to that question I've heard.
  3. Leveraging the brand. This is something I've said over and over in the past. Wilson Sports is the leader in so many sports segments. Not just the leader, but far and away the leader. They should use that to their advantage.

This was a great episode. I kept thinking "I hope Dan asks about THIS" or "I hope they bring up XYZ" and a few minutes later, it would pop up in the interview. I definitely appreciated Bob and Marcus taking on some of the comments and criticisms found online head on and being forthright with their answers. That was really nice to hear.

I'll say it again because I said it in another thread. I want to see a game improvement driver that feels as technologically advanced as the better players' driver (and is marketed as such). I think what Cobra did this year in that regard has worked really well.

About half way through so far, really good. I had no idea DeMarini was a Wilson brand. Did I hear Louisville Slugger too?

Also love that @Canadan asks the hard questions...last I left off he asked about box sets. Well done sir!
Didn't realize demarini either. I wonder if they could use that name/branding for a golf line? :unsure:

The Wilson name is just locked into big box starter sets for me, however unfair that is.

So far it’s a fun listen. I am not too far into it yet. But it is fun. Good to see Wilson stepping out of comfort zones and facing fears so to speak.

I’m gonna have to make time to listen today. Very curious about this one.

Oh we got to the box set question. Not sure about the answer though...

Didn't realize demarini either. I wonder if they could use that name/branding for a golf line? :unsure:

The Wilson name is just locked into big box starter sets for me, however unfair that is.
Its a steep hill to climb at this point but other big brands have box sets too, why is Wilson stuck as the only one who gets dinged for it?

“Steak seasoning” might be the best comment ever in an off course…

Well maybe second I still thing “wobbly Caucasian” is number one..

I'll say it again because I said it in another thread. I want to see a game improvement driver that feels as technologically advanced as the better players' driver (and is marketed as such). I think what Cobra did this year in that regard has worked really well.
During listening Bob kept mentioning irons but no mention of a driver. Why can't Wilson make a competitive driver with all of this R&D at their fingertips?

During listening Bob kept mentioning irons but no mention of a driver. Why can't Wilson make a competitive driver with all of this R&D at their fingertips?
I'd say that the DP Carbon is actually a very good driver, but very narrow in who can realistically play it.

But, to you last point, I think you have to look at what we know about product cycles and R&D. Companies work years in advance, so maybe that takes some time to catch up. I just didn't think the Carbon/Titanium duality was very well executed. It made the Ti driver seem inferior. Instead, give them both carbon. Make them both really, really adjustable. Make one more forgiving.

Great Podcast @Canadan !

Since the interviewees said they read the forum, here's some thoughts for them.
As a "Chicagoan" going up using Wilson products (My aunt worked for Wilson SG when it was in River Grove) I'm excited to see Wilson try to "Revive" the golf segment of their company.
I think that most here (Taking a leap here) saw the Wilson Golf as a "Sunsetting" part of their overall business. It's nice to see that there is some "Sunshine" being shined on the Wilson Golf.

Wilson is #1 or #2 in so many sport markets, I'm sure there is an incentive to get their Golf product line to the same level.

Questions for Part #2 Podcast:
1. Padraig Harrington is probably Wilson's highest profile golfer, I'd like to get hear what insight he provides on product.
2. Let's hear some talk about the Golf Ball Line

I'd say that the DP Carbon is actually a very good driver, but very narrow in who can realistically play it.

But, to you last point, I think you have to look at what we know about product cycles and R&D. Companies work years in advance, so maybe that takes some time to catch up. I just didn't think the Carbon/Titanium duality was very well executed. It made the Ti driver seem inferior. Instead, give them both carbon. Make them both really, really adjustable. Make one more forgiving.
Maybe... It might be but it doesn't look good and reality is how many people are going to actually try it?

Its a steep hill to climb at this point but other big brands have box sets too, why is Wilson stuck as the only one who gets dinged for it?
Yeah, I dunno. Might be a generational thing. I played a set of Wilson fat shafts during my formative golf years. When I switched my next set was much better and the perception was Wilson really didn't progress with the other brands, and that was probably true at the time. But was ingrained in me.

Also the multi sport perception is tough. If Callaway went out and made a basketball. I'd probably think they weren't as committed to golf. Unfair, but trying they are kinda unique in golf. Srixon kinda, but if they started branding their clubs Dunlop, I'd have the same reaction.

Maybe... It might be but it doesn't look good and reality is how many people are going to actually try it?
Yea, that's a different challenge altogether lol.

I will agree that some different design choices would have made that driver look much better.

Fantastic interview @Canadan
You asked some of the harder questions that many have been thinking and Markus and Bob didn't shy away from them at all. Very much appreciated that.
Loved that you went straight into the perception issues that dog the brand. Looks like Bob is building a team that gets it. Just heard the new social media person is from Thrillbilly's hometown.

I would think it makes sense to use the DeMarini or Lousivile Sluuger name. At least in that they consult with a sibling brand who is huge in metal technology.

Last edited:
Loved that you went straight into the perception issues that dog the brand. Looks like Bob is building a team that gets it. Just heard the new social media person is from Thrillbilly's hometown.

I would think it makes sense to use the DeMarini or Lousivile Sluuger when building metals woods. Metal bat tech is a huge deal.
DeMarini is the gold standard in composite bats.

Back