coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
So first off I have Xfinity internet and my speeds are suppose to be 25-30mbps. Well if I hard wire into the modem I am getting those speeds, but if I am on wifi speeds are like 5-10 maybe sometimes 10-30. We got a new modem in September and the wifi router (linksys wrt54g2v1) I believe my wife bought in 2007/08 and we have used it since then. So my question for you smart computer guys/gals is it my wifi router or is it some setting that is wrong? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

WIFI Router Help

Could be a few things you may be getting heavy interference from something with your wifi.

You may be sharing a channel with a ton of other routers in the area you can check that by using this program http://www.inssider.com

I am curious are you having issues all over the house or only in certain spots?

Also keep in mind just because you are supposed to get 25-30 does not mean you will always get that also keep in mind you will almost always see a drop in speed by being on wifi (however it shouldn't be as drastic as you are seeing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Linksys Wifi router you listed is a Wireless 802.11g router. Only realistically be able to get ~20Mbps with that. Less once you put multiple devices on IIRC. If you want to take full advantage wirelessly, you'll probably need to move up to an 802.11n router that can support the higher speeds.

Past that, lb44 is spot on about the channels if you live in a townhouse or apartment. Usually not too bad in single family homes though.

Depends on your wireless devices but if you upgrade your router and can have your devices (laptop/phone/tablet) connect on the 5ghz range you can avoid some of the interference if that is a problem. The 5ghz range has more non-overlapping channels then 2.4ghz but the signal doesn't travel as far or a easily through walls if you have a big house. 2.4ghz also has more interference for other non-wifi devices like microwaves.

Definitely upgrade your router to an 802.11N, but you need to make sure the wireless adapter on your laptop, ipad, etc... is N capable as well, or it does you no good.
The 2.4 ghz routers can get a lot of interference from cordless phones as well as the microwaves like Saskey said.
The placement of your router makes a big difference too. If you are in a big house you may need to think about adding a range extender to your network.
I added one to mine and it made a big difference. I can now go into the backyard and even to the far end of the basement and get a good signal.
Something else to consider is making sure you are connecting to your own wireless network. Many times people around you have a wide open network and you may accidentally connect to their network which may be slower than yours.
Another thing people don't think about is securing their network. NEVER use WEP encryption, it can be hacked in less than 2 minutes. Always use WPA or WPA2 or better and then maybe add MAC address filtering.
Name your SSID but then don't broadcast it. Security is all about layers. Make your stuff harder to get into than the guy next door and you'll rarely have any problems.

I had a similar issue & i got the newest xFinity wifi Router & it helped a lot

SMC_SMCD3GNV_Front_Thumb.jpg

Definitely upgrade your router to an 802.11N, but you need to make sure the wireless adapter on your laptop, ipad, etc... is N capable as well, or it does you no good.
The 2.4 ghz routers can get a lot of interference from cordless phones as well as the microwaves like Saskey said.
The placement of your router makes a big difference too. If you are in a big house you may need to think about adding a range extender to your network.
I added one to mine and it made a big difference. I can now go into the backyard and even to the far end of the basement and get a good signal.
Something else to consider is making sure you are connecting to your own wireless network. Many times people around you have a wide open network and you may accidentally connect to their network which may be slower than yours.
Another thing people don't think about is securing their network. NEVER use WEP encryption, it can be hacked in less than 2 minutes. Always use WPA or WPA2 or better and then maybe add MAC address filtering.
Name your SSID but then don't broadcast it. Security is all about layers. Make your stuff harder to get into than the guy next door and you'll rarely have any problems.
WEP is better than nothing, but yes, WPA is the way to go. I LOVE MAC Address filtering! Also make sure to change the router password. If you are going to rename it, you're most likely going to change the password, but I know some people who didn't! I freaked them out when I got into the router right in front of them.

Skip N and go straight to 802.11ac. Gigabit.

Thanks for all the tips guys. And I know Xfinity says I can get up to 25mbps and I do at the modem. But on wifi I get nothing like that. I just bought a brand new modem last month so all I need is to find a good wifi router. Which ones do you recommend? My house is 1800 Sq feet with basement. thanks everyone!!! Just did this year 8ft away from the router.
8ffa7af35457aacc8c177face25de648.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys. And I know Xfinity says I can get up to 25mbps and I do at the modem. But on wifi I get nothing like that. I just bought a brand new modem last month so all I need is to find a good wifi router. Which ones do you recommend? My house is 1800 Sq feet with basement. thanks everyone!!! Just did this year 8ft away from the router.
8ffa7af35457aacc8c177face25de648.jpg

Check with xfinifty bc they upgraded me this summer with their latest modem/wifi router for free. It increased my speed on wifi and signal strength

I just got a brand new modem, so I am thinking a wifi router will help me out.
Check with xfinifty bc they upgraded me this summer with their latest modem/wifi router for free. It increased my speed on wifi and signal strength

I just got a brand new modem, so I am thinking a wifi router will help me out.

The one they gave me has wifi built in so no need for the extra wifi router

oh my new modem doesn't have that, so a new wifi router is on the shopping list.
The one they gave me has wifi built in so no need for the extra wifi router

Here is my wifi question. I have a Roku 2 which is 802.11 (a/b/g/n compatible). My ATT Uverse router is 802.11g.

I have recently started having streaming issues with Roku. I was thinking I may upgrade to the Roku 3 which is 802.11 dual-band (a/b/g/n compatible). And, then also upgrade my router to 802.11n.

Do you think my streaming will improve?

Netflix recommends 5.0mb/ps. I get 11-14 on my TV based on the Roku Speedtest channel. Speedtest from my PC is 25ms ping/29mbps down/5mbps up.

My kitchen is between my office and the tv room. So, the microwave could be blocking some. I never thought about that. What would a wifi extender do to those numbers?

Coers, if your current wireless router is from 2007/2008 replace it, I know you're already thinking about it but this is likely most of your wireless issues.

Wireless G means that your wireless connection has a max of 54Mbps in optimal conditions. And that is 54Mbps spread across all devices using it not per device.
Wireless N is 300Mbps so if you are looking at buy a new wifi router and are on a budget a wireless N router will suit most peoples home needs.
Wireless AC is 1300Mbps and would be very nice for transferring large files (HD Movies) between computers in your house, but chances are your devices aren't even using it yet and you don't need it right now.

Staticline if you currently have a g router, then simply upgrading to the N would be my first recommendation. As you have more devices connect to your wireless network, phones, tablets, laptops etc.. it would be beneficial to upgrade your infrastructure first to see if that resolves you issues. I have an example, one of my clients went and bought a Apple TV, Youtube was very choppy and would buffer or not load at all on his old G router. Upgraded him to an N and all his problems were fixed.

I have always had great luck with Linksys routers. But whatever router you decide to end up buying read reviews online, lots of them as it will give you an idea if the product is good or complete crap.

I knew you were the man for the job!

It perfect timing at work I'm in the middle of upgrading all of our wireless. Mind you it's a bit different as we are using slightly higher end equipment.

But for home networking for most people a N router should work well.

I know one guy mentioned making use of the 5Ghz band, well my iphone 5 can't see 5Ghz and some older devices won't be able to either so that's not a guarantee that you are going to get better reception. For the guys that have Androids there is an app called Wifi Analyzer and will show you what channels are most heavily used in your area so you can set your router to one of the lesser used.

edit:

And is it just me, or does the background picture for Gmamas golf look upside down?

Ended up getting this bad boy tonight.
d71924246692e69f00bb326010e2bc4a.jpg

It perfect timing at work I'm in the middle of upgrading all of our wireless. Mind you it's a bit different as we are using slightly higher end equipment.

But for home networking for most people a N router should work well.

I know one guy mentioned making use of the 5Ghz band, well my iphone 5 can't see 5Ghz and some older devices won't be able to either so that's not a guarantee that you are going to get better reception. For the guys that have Androids there is an app called Wifi Analyzer and will show you what channels are most heavily used in your area so you can set your router to one of the lesser used.

edit:

And is it just me, or does the background picture for Gmamas golf look upside down?
I think it's kind of Pushmepullyou.

I have Xfinity 25mb internet and I have the Linksys E1200 router. Works great. Here's what I got at the same distance from the router as you.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416978040466.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416978040466.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416978056324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416978056324.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
Finally got it set up, thanks to lightningbolt for helping me at 11 at night lol. But seeing allot better results ;)
e13406f7dc529ec7a2c7a0faaab919e2.jpg

Back