fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With my bag finally complete for this season with the new addition of the Callaway MD5 Jaws Full Toe 54 wedge, I thought about starting a thread to discuss. However, I thought maybe it would be more beneficial to others if I didn't just say WITB, but why?

My Bag is mostly Callaway, you would think that is because of the Grandaddy upcoming, but actually, that wasn't the case. I had tried out a few new 22 irons before selecting my current gamers well before being selected this year.

Here is my bag and why each?

I have been using the Sun Mountain C-130 for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. It's really odd that I am not organized at all in my professional job, but if everything in my golf bag isn't all tied up neat and clean I get a bit antsy. The 14 divider is the way to go for me, combine that with so many compartment areas, and I fill this bag up. My coach grabbed it yesterday and said holy cow what do you have in here. Which would leave me with my one and only issue with the bag. It is heavy. I don't see using a bag such as this and walking. Since I use a cart most of the time, it fits very nicely and has a good strap system to keep it snug and bound tightly. Very few things I would ask for in a new bag, but maybe a ring or something to easily put my towel on the side would be an improvement, but I am not going to nitpick.

As you can also see I am a big believer in Iron Head Covers. I know I know blasphemy, but as I go back to my issues with everything needing to look neat I also can't stand scratches or dents on my irons. Just hearing them clink when I walk can be unnerving. So, I do try to keep them clean and shiny.

Golf Bag.jpg

My Driver is the Mizuno ST-X 10.5 degree w/ Lin-Q Blue shaft.

I was fitted for this driver during last year's Shaft Up and it has been the best driver I have ever played with. I will really enjoy testing this driver against what is to come at the Grandaddy this year. It should be quite a battle. I get a mid trajectory with better spin numbers than anything I previously gamed.

Driver.jpg

My 4 and 5 are Callaway Rogue Hybrids as well as my 6-AW. Pic not included, but when I set up a Trackman session at Golf Galaxy I wanted to try all the different 22 clubs and compare them to my 21 gamers. The Rogue Max was easily the winner. They didn't come with a ton more distance (only about 5 yards), but I felt more comfortable and loved the sound and feel off the heads. I also tried the Hybrids versus the fairway woods and went with the hybrids. If I could go back I probably would have switched out my 5 hybrid for a 5 fairway wood. I don't use the 5 hybrid often and my 4 hybrid just doesn't give me the length I need when I am around 200+ to the green on approach. I made the mistake of thinking you need to have 4 thru wedges and not that certain clubs could be used so little there just isn't a good reason to keep them in the bag.

Wedges are a big thing for me this year as moving back a tee (Wanted to play from 6300 to 6500 yards this year) has caused me to use my wedges even more than I have in the past. I must hit my 4 hybrid on half of my holes coming into the green and with the amount times that hits the green, I am usually chipping.

I recently picked up the Callaway 54 Full Toe MD5 Jaws. Yea, of course, Callaway releases the new Jaws Raw about 2 weeks after I make this purchase so that was a bit of a blunder maybe. In the Northeast we have some fun seasons all year long and playing mostly public courses you don't get the best conditions on the course. I can go from a super wet to dry and hard pan on weekly basis, so I go with a bit more bounce on my 58 and a mid bounce on my 54. Not sure if that is correct, but generally that is how I have been picking.

Wedges (1).jpg
Wedges (2).jpg

My putter for most of the last two years was my arm-lock, however with going to the Grandaddy I wanted to go back to a normal length putter. I went back to old trusty Toulon Las Vegas. This is the club that I was lucky enough to receive after attending the 2019 Odyssey Experience. It wasn't the club I was fitted into during the event, but I did use the same specs when I ordered it. I also did an after-market custom paint job and just love this putter.

I use a super stroke wrist lock putter and find that works well with my stroke.

Putter.jpg

That is my WITB, so what's in yours and why?

You didnt give the why on the iron covers.

I'm sure he was hoping everyone skimmed past those little beauties. I'm equally as surprised that @J.B. Cobb III didn't get a shout out.

The only shout out from @JB I’m looking for is that shoulder tap into the best amateur event every created, the Grandaddy!

I will really enjoy testing this driver against what is to come at the Grandaddy this year. It should be quite a battle.
I know which one will win.

You didnt give the why on the iron covers.
I get to say epic skimming. :ROFLMAO:

I like my clubs shiny and new, with no scratches or dents.

Plus, it makes for some good jokes on the course when others see them and start busting my chops.

Some people like to steal them :unsure:

Oh man. This is a great WITB. I have a feeling that won't be your driver for much longer based on things I've read on here and numbers others have shared.

I absolutely love that color scheme on your Vegas. Super fun and really pops!

Love this. Very cool to see the why bwhind the bag as much as the what. God stuff and nice looking bag, minus the iron covers. :)

Nice post on your bag, I can't support the iron head covers though.

Nice post on your bag, I can't support the iron head covers though.
Head Covers to become a trend soon.

I won't need to say "redacted" when I head cover all my irons at the Grandaddy ;)

I won't need to say "redacted" when I head cover all my irons at the Grandaddy ;)
Why am I getting the feeling you’ll have a picture of your irons up with iron covers just to tease us a little more while you’re there?

Though I will not get iron covers for myself, I will give you props for the organization. Well done.

Will there be any shenanigans afoot in California when it comes to your iron covers?

Spectacular bag. Thanks for sharing. I don't care what anyone else thinks those iron covers are cool.

This is an awesome bag rundown! I have nothing but love for the iron covers, treat your irons with some love!

Everything I read has me thinking I need a Full Toe Wedge. I mean, how can it possibly be a bad thing to have the ability to hit a better shot off the toe, right?

i’ll try to grab some pics this weekend, but here’s my current wall of text:

bag: vessel. i don’t know which model, but it’s not the superlite one although i do own that one too. the quality is great and i really like the minimalist look.

driver: titleist tsi2 10.5 turned up +2 and 1 flat. i tested the tsi2 at a demo day and was floored by how good it was for me. i was gaming my grandaddy driver so didn’t make the switch. a few other drivers went in and out of the bag before acquiring the tsi2 and it clicked again. i’ve had a few different shafts in it, but i’m really happy with the ventus tr 6r. apparently it’s almost d6 which is shocking, but it’s been working really well.

fw: mizuno stz 5w. a review caught my eye when it talked about a compact size that offered launch and spin without a draw bias. in store testing went very well in the stock configuration so i bought it to replace my grandaddy fw that were awesome but for a little more draw shape than i could trust. admittedly this got benched after a lot of troubles and replaced with an epic max that was great for me, but getting into the victory cup with mizuno pushed this back into the bag and it’s been a lot of fun again. i will be changing the shaft though, hopefully to something i can time a little more consistently.

hy: tsi2 5h turned down -1. this won in a fitting and it wasn’t all that close. but the shaft was only available through the fitter, and i had some store credit so i tried to get something close in the ad di. i’ve turned the head down for gapping, but this is a hit or miss club for me. sometimes i love it, other times it’s a liability. similar to the fw i’d like to find a shaft i can time more consistently.

irons: honma 10-6 tr20v, 5 tr20p. these have been some of the best irons for me that i’ve ever gamed. i can think of so many rounds where i was just firing at pins with confidence. the modus 115S shafts have been fantastic in these. they’re about to battle against some miura tc-201 irons, so we’ll see who comes out on top. in a couple months the good people at mizuno will be hooking me up with some shiny new sticks, and it will be an epic battle of forged buttery goodness.

w: 50, 56 and 60 callaway jaws md5. the 50S is chrome, the 56X and 60X are raw. 50 has modus 120S, 56 and 60 have ttdg s200. hands down my favorite wedges ever. the perfect shape and feel. full and partial swings are pin seekers. my short game blows, but in the moments of decency the wedges perform brilliantly. and i’m in love with the raw.

p: odyssey marxman triple track. she’s not gonna turn heads in a crowd, but she loves me well. i was fit for this at the 2019 grandaddy and since that day there’s never been a time i questioned this putter. there have been so many ridiculous rounds where i’m rolling in putts from stupid lengths. i absolutely love it for my game.

b: in flux. i love the callaway chrome soft x yellow with triple track from 2020. the 2022 may even be better. but if i end up with slightly spinnier irons (honma are lower spin in my hands), i may look for a lower spin ball like chrome soft 2022 for a little more iron distance. or maybe even chrome soft x ls.

Even if head covers "come back" it would be like bell bottoms. They came back for a while, and they were still a good way to discern who made bad life decisions without ever having to talk to them......

Iron covers gonna be a hot topic. 😂

Ya know what, while I don’t have iron covers myself, I respect your post knowing the heat you’ll catch for them haha. I also personally totally get wanted to keep something you care about clean and protected.

The Quick and Dirty version:

Bag: an old Ogio Sprint stand bag. Woode top, and more importantly at the time, a smaller bag. I didn't have a huge car, and was trying to save as much space as I could. Fits decent enough on my ClicGear 2.0, but having it turn while on the mounts has become an issue.

The Top:
Callaway XR16 driver, 10.5 degree, THP custom painted UST Elements Helium HE4F3 (regular), I believe Danny said that shaft was a 1 of 1. I adore this driver. By far the best combination of a driver that I have ever hit. Managed to snag the original setup off ebay for a song when they launched, and it has been entrenched ever since.

3Wood - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo. Regular Flex stock Miyazaki shaft. This is the question mark of the bag. Do I need it? Grabbed it last season thinking I needed another option off the tee. Great off the tee, mainly straight (which is the goal), but decent enough off the turf as well.

Heavenwood - Callaway V-series - a club that I actually have a hard time envisioning my bag without. Bought used because of THP, it has saved my bacon more times than I can count. At times it can get a bit hooky off the tee, so I bought the 3w.... but out of the FW.... I would without hesitation grab this.

Irons - Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 4-GW - regular Flex Nippon NS Pro 950gh Neo. My first brand new from the store irons since a set of TM Burner 2.0hp. I love these irons so far. Fitted for them at GolfTec, ended up buying the 2nd best shaft option (debatably very little difference) mainly due to availability. This setup was available in hand in 5 days, the other shaft option would have been 4 months.

Wedges - Cleveland RTX3 54 and 58*, low bounce for both. Why low bounce? I tried something different. Courses get super hard here in summer, and I figured if I couldn't take a divot off hardpan, that I might as well use a low bounce. Has it worked out? Hard to tell. Some success, some failure.

Putter - Callaway Tank Cruiser #7 or SWAG Handsome One Raw. It is up in the air right now. 4 putters are in and out of the bag. The TC7 is the longest tenured, and had a lot of success with it..... then I bought a SWAG at 230am one morning on ebay for a steal lol. The SWAG I love the look of, but am still trying to find continued success with it.

The Ball - Bridgestone E12 Contact in Matte Red or Green. Because Canadan did an awesome video, and convinced me I didn't need to go more premium..... and because Matte Red is awesome

Overall the bag is a bit of a hodge podge. I don't get out to play nearly as much as I used to prior to kids. New additions to the bag are few and far between the past couple years, mainly just picking the odd spot I hope to improve performance in (3w, wedges, and irons being the most recent changes).

Hopefully someday I will consider myself a golfer again. Currently I am more of a "practicer". Bought my son a real set of clubs this year (he is 4.5), and the real goal is to get him swinging more, and get to the range and course with him this year.

20220706_194950.jpg
20210407_110939.jpg

I have always liked the why behind what you have in the bag. Some of my best internet friends are because of our discussions, usually through DMs, of our equipment choices. That is how we truely learn what to look for or what might be causing our current issues.

You didnt mention it, but I bet you choose the C-130 for a reason. I believe it is the finest cart bag available. I go back and forth, between a cart bag and stand bag as my primary bag. I also decided to go with a non-logo'd bag, usually a solid color and do not use OEM/logo'd head covers.

I am going to include some commentary on my own WITB thread. I will post a link here

Great looking bag. It will be fun to see what you switch to in the coming months.

Last edited:
Back