• Total voters

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
After watching the WGC Brigestone, which has argueably the best field of the season, who do you think is the current number 1 golf on tour?

Judging by how loud his outfit was yesterday it has to be Ricky the human traffic cone!! lol I kid! I really have no idea. OEM is the new world number one!!

I voted other because it seems like none of them want it. I will vote for OEM as well lol.

I dont think there is a bonfide number one out there right now. There needs to be some sort of domination. Lotta twotime winners this year. If someone makes it three, then theyll be number one in my books for this year at least

Out of the list, it has to be Phil. He has the major win this year. Has the stats, and while he has not taken it over yet, part of that is the scoring system and the way it is set up. Lets not forget that if all three of these players took the next two months off, that Phil would be the worlds #1.

While that is not clearly going to be the case, it is more indicative of how someone has played over the last 18 months or so overall.

I voted One-T.

Edit *But really its so hard for me to choose because while I feel Phil has the best record from those three I just don't see anyone as dominant right now. Maybe lack of knowledge on my part but I don't see it right now. Which to me is good for the game. You want it competitive.

• Staff
It bothers me that Phil hasn't taken charge and seized that number 1 spot.

Maybe his personal life and family life have taken a toll.

Lets not forget Mr. Stricker as well. He could take the #1 with a win this week too, but only if TW finishes near the bottom.

While that is not clearly going to be the case, it is more indicative of how someone has played over the last 18 months or so overall.

I was just briefly looking over some quick numbers from Tiger,Phil, Westwood for the last 18 months. These include the 09 and 10 majors

Tiger - 6 wins, 0 majors. Major Finishes. Masters T6, T4 US OPEN T6,T4 Open Championship MC, T23 PGA Champ 2 (Won FedEx Cup)

Phil - 4 wins, 1 Major. Major Finishes Masters 5, 1 US OPEN T2, T4 Open Championship DNP, T48, PGA 73

Lee - 3 wins(2 on Euro Tour) Major Finishes Masters 43, 2 US OPEN 23, T16 Open Championship T3, 2 PGA Champ T3

the 1 Major for Phil Stands out. Tiger has had a top 10 in 5 of the 7 Majors in that span, Mick with 4, and Lee with 4 as well.

Interesting with the first set of ballots, Tiger - 0. Man has he come crumbling down lately. Phil looks like the heir apparent, but just can't seem to grab the reins and get there. I like Stricker, he's been very solid so far this year. Definitely some interesting discussion.

Lets not forget Mr. Stricker as well. He could take the #1 with a win this week too, but only if TW finishes near the bottom.

I originally had him in the poll, but decided to take him out.

Wow, 12 votes in and none for Tiger, that has got to say something.

Wow, 12 votes in and none for Tiger, that has got to say something.

how he is playing right now, I wouldn't consider him number 1. But I think it speaks to the depth of the tour right now that other is currently the leader in the clubhouse

It bothers me too. I try to stay neutral as a fan because of my job but Lefty seems like a good guy and I always like to see the good guys do well but he keeps getting these chances and he just doesn't capitalize on them and it's frustrating.

Really, this could be Phils best chance at being the number one golfer in the world. Tiger is down and TC keeps picking Westwood. Come on Phil get it done. Its strange, he seems like he has the game and just doesnt do it though.

anyone feel Phil is backing in to the number 1 ranking?

anyone feel Phil is backing in to the number 1 ranking?

No more than TW is backing onto holding onto it. I mean we have a #1 that has done very little in terms of being #1 for close to a year.

He has a major. He has finished high in events like the other guys. I dont see that.

No more than TW is backing onto holding onto it. I mean we have a #1 that has done very little in terms of being #1 for close to a year.

He has a major. He has finished high in events like the other guys. I dont see that.

Just a topic of discussion I heard on PGA radio this morning, thought it was interesting. I think if you look at it as if Tiger needed an absolute collapse for Phil to become number 1. I don't think he has backed in to it. I just wish he would have gone out there and taken it. Like Woods winning the Masters and becoming number 1 over Vijay.

I wouldnt say Phil is backing into it but more so Tiger is holding onto it somehow when he doesnt deserve it. And hasnt deserved it for over a year. How he can remain number one after this last tournament is just a failure of the ranking system. What is this, the Bowl Championship of golf?

I wouldnt say Phil is backing into it but more so Tiger is holding onto it somehow when he doesnt deserve it. And hasnt deserved it for over a year. How he can remain number one after this last tournament is just a failure of the ranking system. What is this, the Bowl Championship of golf?

Even the BCS would have this right...i think

I disagree. Since August of 2009, Tiger has won 3 pretty big tournaments: BMW Championship; WGC Bridgestone Invt'l; Buick Open. Since August of 2009, he has finished in the top 10 in the following 6 big tournaments: PGA Championship; Barclays; Tour Championship; WGC-HSBC Champions; Masters; US Open.

The ranking system is not necessarily failing; the players under Tiger are failing.

The OWGR is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Tiger is sucking... and his world ranking points are dropping like flies. He has lost nearly 270 points this year and has only gained 65 points back. World number 1 is up for the taking, but the guys who can take it are sucking too (or injured... kudos Westwood).

I disagree. Since August of 2009, Tiger has won 3 pretty big tournaments: BMW Championship; WGC Bridgestone Invt'l; Buick Open. Since August of 2009, he has finished in the top 10 in the following 6 big tournaments: PGA Championship; Barclays; Tour Championship; WGC-HSBC Champions; Masters; US Open.

The ranking system is not necessarily failing; the players under Tiger are failing.

The OWGR is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Tiger is sucking... and his world ranking points are dropping like flies. He has lost nearly 270 points this year and has only gained 65 points back. World number 1 is up for the taking, but the guys who can take it are sucking too (or injured... kudos Westwood).

Look up the stats for Phil Mickelson in that same 12 month period.

Look up the stats for Phil Mickelson in that same 12 month period.

I have... they are pretty close. Phil has three wins on the tour (like Tiger), but has the additonal points for one of them being a major. But Phil has less top 10's, which explains, in part, why Phil is number 2.

But he also has higher finishes like a 2nd in a major I believe.

I believe that the rankings should be done on a 12 month schedule and not 24. It makes people play more events to stay on top or get back, which helps tournaments, which helps viewers and ratings. Someone playing well 2 years ago means little to the world now. I believe if you took the two players and measured strictly on the last 12 months from today, Phil would be #1.

But that is for a different argument

Back