Who has quit smoking?????

Work it until the moment passes. Don't get back on the horse.

As I mentioned previously I stopped due to health issues. 90% blockage in my left anterior descending artery. The doc's PA was upset that I drove myself to the ER that day. Funny thing was I had taken and passed a cardiac stress test the month prior.

I quit 14 years ago. I found the most difficult time was from around day 5 to day 10 or so. After that, the cravings became less and less. It took close to two years for the cravings to be completely gone but they became easy to ignore after about three weeks. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I had my first cigarette at the age of 11,my last at the age of 61.50 years of poisoning my body and emptying my bank account.

I tried everything and failed many, many times. I had a heart attack and still indulged in the wicked weed.

Finally, I went on a cruise and didn't take any cigarettes. The cruise shop only sold cartons of 400,so buying that sneaky pack when the wife isn't looking could not happen. After a week, I had made enough progress to be safe in the real world.

Everyone is different, find your own way. It is tough but worth it.

Update: Just over two weeks without a cigarette. Starting to get easier.
At 2 weeks it will be about as hard to stay quit another month as it was to stay quit for those 2 weeks. Good work!! Keep it up!!

6 Years now for me. The only thing that worked was Chantix. Made cigs taste like :poop: in three weeks time. I've never looked back and it didn't give me any of the side effects that you've probably heard. Congrats on making the decision. Every day smoke free is another battle won and eventually, the war will be over.

Never smoked cigarettes...but I've quit smokeless tobacco a few times.

It can be a mental marathon, for sure. You just have to do it...like being in recovery from alcohol, you have to hit rock bottom. The health scare on a couple occasions was that "bottom" for me. That said, I am doing Swedish snus these days and indeed chewing again even though I got some removed from my lip and it scared me straight.

Like I said...just do it. The health scare has to be that "bottom".

I failed over and over again at quitting for about 5 years. I finally gave in to my doctors suggestion to try Chantix and it worked like a charm. It will be 10 years since I’ve been smoke free on 3/18. The medication isn’t for everyone, some of the possible side effects are worse than continuing to smoke in some cases. For me, I experienced insane, crazy, life like dreams for about a month. Once I was off the meds, my dreams went back to being boring regular old dreams (I miss the crazy ones), but the urge to backslide and become a smoker again was over. I used nicotine gum occasionally for over 2 years to assist me when I had a really bad craving or when I was doing something that triggered a craving (golf, out drinking with friends, after sex). It’s not easy to quit but it’s doable if you have the right attitude and plan of attack. Good luck, you can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 Years now for me. The only thing that worked was Chantix. Made cigs taste like :poop: in three weeks time. I've never looked back and it didn't give me any of the side effects that you've probably heard. Congrats on making the decision. Every day smoke free is another battle won and eventually, the war will be over.

Girl I was dating killed herself using Chantix. Granted she had other issues, but she wasn't on it for a week or two before she hanged herself.

Quit smoking 18 years ago after smoking for 25 years. Used the patch and never had too hard of a time quitting smoking my problem was that food tasted better. Still does lol

Quit in 1998 after 22 years. Got the best advice ever from a friend who quit.
"It doesn't matter if you have the cigarette or you don't, the craving still goes away".

Quitting is hard! I did it about 15 years ago. I used the nicotine inhaler rather than the patch so I could use willpower along with it to control how much nicotine I put into my system. I felt that it accelerated the process.

Smoked for 2 decades before finally quitting and have been nicotine free for 8 years now. It's kinda like losing weight, meaning something that works for me won't necessarily work for you but what I did was fairly simple. I just decided one day I was going to quit, and here's the important part, I said right there that I would never touch tobacco again for any reason for the rest of my life. This IMO is where people fail. They go a few months and think one cigarette won't hurt, or maybe they can just enjoy this one cigar with the guys. Those people are wrong. It took me over a year before I finally stopped wanting to smoke but after 2 you'll hate it so bad you won't ever want to smoke or be around smokers anyway. You just have to figure out a way to survive that first year and outside of sheer want-to I don't know that there are a lot of shortcuts.

I quit in 2003. I used the Nicorette Commit Lozenges program. Started with the 4 mg then went to the 2 mg. Then when I was about to go off of it altogether I had my doctor prescribe Zyban and I went on that for a month. When you're on Zyban you cannot... cannot intake any nicotine. Once you're done with that you've successfully kicked the addiction and can wean off the Zyban.

Before that I tried other methods but it felt like my face was going to slide off. Withdrawals were horrible. So I did it this way. It's the only way that worked for me. I use to smoke 2 pks/day. My doctor says my lungs have fully recovered.

i smoked my last cigarette on November 9, 2019. I've quit many times before and this has by far been the easiest. It' going to stick this time, I know it.

18 years ago, I quit when my dad who was a smoker was diagnosed with cancer. I've had 1 since then I was hammered drunk 🤣 in Germany 2012. Now I can't stand the smell of them. I quit cold Turkey, but that doesn't work for everyone. Good luck man, it's tough but very worth it!

Try Swedish snus, too. That helped me immensely to quit chew. Not the American garbage. The Scandinavi stuff is far less poisonous.

Withdrawaling off Swedish snus isn't too bad, either.

I didn’t realize this thread was going. I found a good app And it’s a process.
D6565E00-996C-41B1-ABD3-A0D3F2BACE42.png

I never smoked but I dipped for 15 years and quit about 13 years ago. The worst for me was driving or being bored. I started chewing gum (regular) and trying to break my normal routines. It is so second nature that he have to be aware of your cravings and head them off until your routines are that you don’t smoke anymore. Good luck.

same here, chewed for probably 20+ years, then decided to give quitting a shot. Driving & sitting on the couch watching TV was rough for a couple of days but it’s been a few weeks & it’s fine. Juicy Fruit strawberry.

Back