Where is your confidence line?

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
By that I mean at what club do you start to lose a little confidence. I would say for me with my irons it starts at the 7i. I pull the 7 and I'm shocked when I don't hit a green. I'm still pretty confident with the 6 but I'm not pissed if I'm just off the green. By the time I pull the 5i I would say I'm happy to be on the green. 3W-5i I'm not overly confident. I get my confidence back though with driver. I tend to hit my driver well

My confidence starts to creep south beginning with the 6 iron. 5 iron I am never too fond of having in my hands and actually would prefer a 3H or 4H shot over a 5 iron.

Pre i20's when I had forged blades (MP-37's), it was with the 4 iron and below. I used to carry the 2 iron too, but gave up on that in favor of a hybrid...if the 4 iron worried me, I knew I shouldn't even be carrying the 3.

Now that my new irons (i20's) are pretty easy to hit, I don't really have a cut off.

Same for me.. The 7i is pretty much go to but 6i and lower I lose that.. However I get some of that back with the hybrids

Maybe the 5i but I've been hitting a 3/4 swing 4h instead of a full swing with a 5i lately with good results. At some point I may pull the 5i out of the bag altogether

My confidence starts to creep south beginning with the 6 iron. 5 iron I am never too fond of having in my hands and actually would prefer a 3H or 4H shot over a 5 iron.

Same here. I can confidently hit almost any shot from 6-iron up but the 5 iron has been my nemesis for a while. With that said, I have been working on my long irons and made a swing change a few weeks ago that has helped my confidence with these but has trashed my Hybrid and FW game.

For me it is the driver. If my swing is off I see it with virtually all my clubs but if my swing is in a better place I tend to do fine up to the big stick.

5 iron is the club I'm probably least confident with in my bag....the funny part is that the confidence goes back up with the 2 hybrids that are right above the 5 iron. I'm thinking there's a lesson to be learned in that.

im right with you CL, I love my 7I, anything below that is really like hitting the lottery

I've lately been able to pull good shots out of every club in my bag. Even ones that used to not work for me at all.

I think my line is slowly fading.

My newbie-ness makes me a little less apt to have my confidence club dependent, however, as I've been improving over all I find that on the longer holes once I hit my driver off the tee, I'm really hesitant to use my 3 or 5 FW for my 2nd shot because I am rarely successful hitting it consistently off the grass.

I can hit them off a tee OK, but man, plop the ball on the grass and phut! It just goes nowhere... So my hand reaches for the FW and inevitably detours to my 3i.

I know... Practice, practice, practice :)

For full swings with irons/wedges, I feel confidence in 7-PW. My confidence is a bit different than yours in that I just feel that I can hit the ball solidly with those clubs.

Aside from that, my highest confidence is partial swings with my wedges. I feel like I can be on the green and reasonably close every time in the 40-85 yard range.

I am extremely confident with a driver in my hand. I would say I hit is as well as any club in the bag. I lose it with my hybrid, 5-7 irons, and gain it back with 8i-60*

5 iron is the club I'm probably least confident with in my bag....the funny part is that the confidence goes back up with the 2 hybrids that are right above the 5 iron. I'm thinking there's a lesson to be learned in that.

That's a lesson I've learned all year and I'm moving to a 5h as a result. I just never feel like anything good will happen with my 5 iron unless I'm punching the ball with it.

My confidence starts to wane with the 5-iron and above. From there, I only feel confident with a 5-metal or Driver in my hands. The 3-metal, rescues, and 4 and 5-irons I am 50-50 at best.

7iron I know I will hit well.6 and up I'm not so sure. Get confidence back with 3h and 3w and then its gone again with the driver.

I said a tap tap tappity tap

I know this sounds odd but my confidence gets shady with the 50 - 65 yard shots with the wedges. I would say whatever higher lofted club I chose for that range. Maybe I need to try one of them new ATV wedges :thumb:

I start to lose confidence with the 5 iron, and some days I'm scared to even pull the 4 iron from the bag. I've been swinging the clubs really well the last couple of weeks, though, and it has given me new confidence with the longer irons. Yesterday I was not driving the ball particularly well, and consequently I had three 4-iron approach shots -- and I hit all 3 greens. I had a couple of 5W approaches and hit 1 green, going a little long on the other (should have hit 4 iron a fourth time, I guess). On the other end of the spectrum, I sliced a 7-iron approach, and came up short using 8 and 9 iron.

I would say 6i.

I used to be terrible with my 4i and 5i, but I've changed my swing and now I'm hitting it better. My hybrids are garbage though. I used to hit them well, now, nada. I can't hit the driver consistently also that's why I am using my 3w to tee off until I fix my inconsistency.

Confidence starts to drop off at the 4i for me, but some days it's more like 7i. It goes right back up with a 3 or 5 wood in my hand. The funny part is that full wedge shots often give me more fits than anything else.

Most days, it's the 6i. It can work tremendously, or start spitting out big hooks.
Bad days? Anything but a full PW is a crapshoot.

For those of you that take regular lessons, do you feel a crazy amount of confidence in the club you use most often during your lesson? I know that one club I alway have tons of comfort with is my 7 iron, which is what we typically use unless we are working on something specifically related to another club.

from the fairway, i lose confidence outside 200 (3w/3h/4i)...from the rough, i lose confidence outside the 6i...my butter club is definitely the 7

Hmm, playing so well right now there's not much doubt when I'm standing over any club. Results are obviously better with higher lofted clubs, but confidence wise I'll hit anything in my bag at any time right now. This time last year I'd say any 4-5 iron could get shaky.

For me, 3 wood off the deck is pretty spotty, and 4 iron off the tee is giving me fits lately. I'd rather try and step on a 5 really hard, or bunt my hybrid than hit the 4 on a couple of the par 3's. Not doing my scoring any good. :angry:

Back