When did The Masters become THE major?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Was talking to @Canadan last night about all things Masters. The conversation went down a path of how The Masters has become so much more than just a golf tournament. You see so many companies, not just golf brands, out there releasing Masters themed products. Every time we take polls on favorite major, it seems The Masters is usually at the top, at least with more consistency that the others.

Think about it, this major used to have the most limited viewing times, limited field, is the most exclusive ticket one can get, and it's the youngest of all the majors.

So when do you believe The Masters became THE major, THE event of the Spring, THE one everyone wants to experience one way or another?

1997. Because of Tiger. Brought a younger viewership to it, made everyone watch. Transformed it.

I’m probably too young/too new to golf to give a good answer but I wouldn’t be surprised if Tigers dominance had something to do with it. If after then I would say maybe around the time Speith and Bubba won

I think it's because of the exclusivity of it.

It's impossible to get tickets, you can't even wear the color green without getting a C&D, pictures aren't allowed. That builds an aura around the tournament that just increases over the years.

We always want what we can't have the most.

Last edited:
Was talking to @Canadan last night about all things Masters. The conversation went down a path of how The Masters has become so much more than just a golf tournament. You see so many companies, not just golf brands, out there releasing Masters themed products. Every time we take polls on favorite major, it seems The Masters is usually at the top, at least with more consistency that the others.

Think about it, this major used to have the most limited viewing times, limited field, is the most exclusive ticket one can get, and it's the youngest of all the majors.

So when do you believe The Masters became THE major, THE event of the Spring, THE one everyone wants to experience one way or another?
Once social media became popular and allowed people to see behind the curtain that normally would only be reserved for people who were on the grounds, I think that's when The Masters became the best major. Add that Augusta National took over the TV and have hands down the best app for golf, catapulted them over all the others.

I think it was before Tiger. I think it really was the mystery of a location that was "extremely" exclusive. I think the exclusivity of it drove it more than anything else.

Not sure why.
BUT, it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle of other tournaments.
For many of us it’s the official start to golf season. Spring is here! The green fever hits us all.

I think it’s the fact that very little changes from year to year (same course, same green jackets, same traditions). This continuity allows the Masters to build up its identity over the years in a way that is very difficult for the other majors to achieve.

You can go back a long ways, but in my opinion, it was before 1986 and that historic win.

I think Tiger played a part. I also think the mystery that surrounds the course plays a part. And I think the fact that it really is the kickoff for many folks of the golf season also contributes.

I think it became THE major long before Tiger. How to pin point that I’m not sure. The unofficial official start to spring….somewhere was huge for me growing up in Ohio.

It has always been the Major to me. I was born in 1978 and don't remember a time when it wasn't the biggest for those around me. It fell on Easter a bunch of times and I have lots of memories of watching it and it being a big part of our family get-together.

Probably when it went from only televising part of the back 9 to showing the entire course and embracing the audience. Then limited commercials helped

Then developing the best app in sports!

IMG_0342.jpeg
This is when it happened…

You can go back a long ways, but in my opinion, it was before 1986 and that historic win.
Maybe? … Yes sir!!!

Probably when it went from only televising part of the back 9 to showing the entire course and embracing the audience. Then limited commercials helped

Then developing the best app in sports!
I'd argue the other way around. I don't know how much the others got on tv but always having that slot, with the associated drama from those holes, just led to a perfect mix of exclusivity and recognition that became potent.

When Clif decided it would be. It's not what it is today because of boards, it's still by & large what Clif envisioned. Almost everything was for the put together for the patrons. I don't think any other Major puts as much thought into what their viewers want as ANGC.

I think it has been THE MAJOR for so many years, back when Arnie was the man, then Jack, Lee and Gary Player. But more than that, when TV came to Augusta, it became THE place to watch

This may be wrong, but I think what follows is at least part of what plays into the popularity of the Masters. Although it was around previously, I think the Master's was uniquely positioned as a national sports event for TV. I don't know when that was exactly, maybe early 1960s. The Masters presented a masterpiece of visual golf in an optimal season (spring). And around that time there were some compelling players with national visibility. People loved it and watching the stars play on the same course, same time each year with a growing set of formal traditions captivated viewers.

Simple answer … because it’s American

There was a thread the other day about reasons to hate the Masters. I would argue the same reasons some hate it are the same reasons others love it.

It bathes itself in tradition to a comical degree. It makes people think of their childhood, simpler times, white picket fences, the soothing voice of Jim Nantz......The average golf fan isn't 21, in case you've noticed. This plays very well to golf fans. Remember how things used to be? The Masters remembers, and the Masters will never change. Watch us on your black and white TV with your 3 siblings and then go work at the locally owned industrial plant tomorrow. That's the Masters.

Population - 330 ml

Affluent country , in economic terms

Attitude is more projected , confidence and assertive / overt

The comparison is Uk ,

Also affluent etc

Fundamentally more reserved and modest in its attitude

The population is significantly less

The courses also are , representatively different ,

Links course of several centuries origin.
Also there are other choices but those are more related to the links style .

Versus

Augusta - inland curated forested version

Simple answer … because it’s American

It’s Americana…. Loved around the world for what it represents. Same reason that most of the “favourite major” list that don’t have the Masters as their number one has The Open. The USO and PGA are just harder versions of the same week in week out tournament. These two are different. Especially the Masters.

I think a large part of it it because it's always at the same course. The same way the Open Championship has an uptick when it's at the old course. The fact that you know the course so well, that you've seen all these heroic shots on the same holes for so many years. It's like visiting your favorite relative.

Back