What's the healthiest rice?

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright. You're all being exposed to my laziness right now. I'm not googling the question.:ROFLMAO:

What's the healthiest rice? White rice? Brown rice? Wild rice? Long grain rice?

Or is rice even healthy? Is is full of nothing but carbohydrates and sugar? Or is a cup or two with some meals a good decision in weight loss and trying to maintain a healthy diet?

And what are some ways you spice up rice so it's not bland or boring or BLAH?

Cauliflower pretending to be rice?

Of those you listed I assume brown. White rice (for me) is strictly for sushi - other than that, a waste of carbs (to me, again), it's the potato chips of the rice family.

I have had a few others including purple or black rice - no idea other than the what the local poke bowl says - that it's more healthy than brown and has a nutty taste - I cannot help you - and, it does have a nutty taste - I like it.

Arroz con leche ;)

Brown rice is usually considered a pretty healthy choice, and personally I prefer brown basmati rice, as it is typically less starchy and more flavorful than a lot of other rices.

i did weight watchers for a bit, and iirc white and brown rice had the same number of points

If you look at them, the are all essentially the same.. But one could argue that white rice is "healthier".. lower in calories, lower in carbs and sugar and sodium. Lower in fiber but meh.. who cares.. Also lower in protein but most dont really go to rice as a protein source.

1661960242576.png

Alright. You're all being exposed to my laziness right now. I'm not googling the question.:ROFLMAO:

What's the healthiest rice? White rice? Brown rice? Wild rice? Long grain rice?

Or is rice even healthy? Is is full of nothing but carbohydrates and sugar? Or is a cup or two with some meals a good decision in weight loss and trying to maintain a healthy diet?

And what are some ways you spice up rice so it's not bland or boring or BLAH?
I don't know the official answer, but I think they are all "fairly" close.

Now to spice things up - put in salsa, put in seasoned rice vinegar, use fruit zest. There are a lot of easy and low calorie options to spice up rice those are just off the top of my head for what I've done recently.

I typically only go for wild rice. Unless it's Chinese food .. then it's white. :eek:

very tough question bc depending on what each individual is looking for, almost any rice could be considered the best

brown rice is more nutrient dense than white rice but technically white rice has lower calories, carbs, and fat. (not enough to make a big difference honestly.) Then depending on when you're eating, the rice can make a difference. White rice absorbs in to your blood quicker giving a better insulin response. White rice pre workout or post workout is superior to brown rice since it takes longer to break down than white. Brown rice has phytic acid which reduces your body's ability to absorb nutrients

That being said brown rice is better for diabetics over white rice

I typically have black or wild rice with normal meals or ill have a moderate amount of jasmine pre/post workout

White.

my wife's bodybuilding coach has her eat Jasmine rice. Something I"d never heard of before he made her start eating it.

I use white rice about 90% of the time. I mostly use long grain par-boiled. It's less starchy than regular long or short grain white rice and has more texture. I'll also go with jasmine or basmati rice from time to time.

Cauliflower pretending to be rice?

This is correct but not really rice.

I am not sure any rice is great if you are trying to lose weight. Brown rice is probably best. One of my favorite foods has always been Uncle Ben's white rice with butter, salt and pepper. No nutritional value but I love it.

I prefer white or long grain or jasmine over brown any day of week.
Although brown rice is more nutrient-dense, it is harder to absorb all those nutrients
White rice is very easy to digest.

Quinoa if you want a grain I use brown rice just because it fills me up I feel longer than white rice.

I think there were studies about brown rice helping with blood pressure and weight loss I don't use it for that. I use it to fill me up at 250 calories.

Last edited:
I have both jasmine and basmati rice in 20lb bags...no brown rice in our house.

Another vote for parboiled rice. It's what I use in most of the cajun & mexican recipes I use... I like all of them though. Basmati, jasmine, long grains, blends, black, reds...

Thanks y'all. I appreciate the answers.

There's a mixture of brown rice and quinoa that I eat just because I heard once from my cousin's babysitters bartender that quinoa was healthy.

Back