What would you think of Michael Jordan when this happened on the course?

uman

Oldest guy in the room
Reaction score
Handicap
back srg'y
Boone Valley is a private golf course in Augusta, Missouri about 40 minutes away from my house. It has always had a very small membership , the owner has more than plenty of money.

Approx. 10 years ago myself and a couple buddies were playing there on a weekday. There was very few people playing and I never even saw a group behind us. Someone drove up and asked me to have my group stand aside to let someone play through. Seemed odd , I said we are not holding anybody up and there is no one behind us in sight but sure we could do that . While somewhat patiently waiting on the side of the fairway for at least 5 minutes finally here comes a couple players on a golf cart driving down fairway. One of those guys was Michael Jordan, he said nothing and played out the hole we were on.

Jordan has been in the news a little lately on Ahmad Rashadds show and it made me remember this encounter. My impression of that guy then was "what an arrogant snob", felt like asking him if he wanted us to rake the bunkers and tend the flag.

Might be an overreaction, but that is all I know about him, maybe he is not arrogant, maybe he is not a snob.

Nothing. I would've thought less of the course for catering to him. Especially when nobody was holding him up. I played at a goat track once with Rex Chapman, in Kentucky where he was a God, and it was nothing like that. Actually, it was awesome and he was super cool. But, I understand, he is not MJ, or anything close. Just as close a scenario as I've experienced is all.

I find myself always wondering why Michael Jordan always seems to be in the golf news more and more lately. I'm thinking he played basketball or something and then retired or something.......

Michael Jordan was known for being extremely arrogant. That's part of what made him a great basketball player.

I was in the Bahamas setting up some equipment to put install House piles at the Club where they play the LPGA event (can't think of the name right now might have been the Ocean club ..old) and I saw these 4 guys walking down each side of the fairway armed. Turned out He was playing and they scouted ahead to be sure all was clear for him. I did see him hit a huge slice and one of the guys ran over and picked it and threw it back into the fairway. He drove up played the ball and moved on. There all day and never saw another golfer. Very fancy place.

I would have thought, I've got better things to worry and think about.

Ron Harper is a member at my old home course and still keeps in touch and plays a fair amount of golf with MJ. There are plenty of these stories out there but he says alot of courses will cater to this behavior just to say he played there. I remember one day we were playing together and Ron shot his career low round and the next thing I know he pulls out the cell and dials up MJ. While it was cool to hear MJ's voice on the other line he was so self centered and didnt care about anything...... and then said I guess you can play with our group at Shadow Creek now.

MJ had a basketball camp in Santa Barbara when I went to college and he would occasionally go to the bars downtown and guest bartend. My first time in a bar, MJ walked in and they immediately wouldn't let anyone else in. He ended up buying me a couple beers and when he accidentally spilled some on me, he apologized, asked my name and gave me a bro hug. It was a lot of fun and I have to figure out a way to download the photos I took. A few years later, I was at the same bar and me and MJ were one on one at one of the outdoor bars and I was tongue tied when he asked me what kind of beer I wanted. He gave me a Newcastle and told me it was on him. Seemed like a cool guy both times.

As far as this situation, I have no idea. Did he know the course was forcing people to stand aside? Did the course lure him there by promising a quick round? Who knows. It's no secret MJ Akers advantage of his superstar status, especially when it comes to golf. I mean, he just went off about how crappy a golfer the president is (although Obama calling out the crappy Bobcats was pretty good).

I've actually heard of really bad stories with Pippen that pale in comparison to this. Apparently, he is not a people person.

He never was one of the people I'd want to share a round of golf with (not that it would ever happen - LOL). There are so any other athletes that are successful and also do credit to their profession.

As others have said. He's a known douche.

Some "celebrities" are just that way and courses will cater to that type of clientele for multiple reasons. The prestige of having a person of some stature as having played there, draw other well known celebrities and to "show they are an all accommodating" facility. It may rub some the wrong way, but there are bigger issues in the world to worry about.

Some people do things the right way and others take advantage of their status.

If I won the lottery I believe I could easily become a rich bast**d.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm having a dejavue moment here. I feel like I read this story before. Did you post about this before cause I know I read this before so if it wasn't you then someone else posted the same thing so this would be continued behavior from him.

I would tell everybody that I saw Michael Jordan on the course and that I let him play through.

Don't think I ever posted this before, maybe having a senior moment, hope that is not true.

Normal people like us see this and think wow what a jerk. But if anyone has read Hank Haneys book on Tiger he was a complete ***hole. Haney talked about this in his book stating that it's part of a great athletes personality. So reading this about MJ doesn't shock me at all.

It would have been cool of him to stop shake ur hands and thank u, and it probably would have made ur day. Apparently he is not wired like that

I would have thought, I've got better things to worry and think about.

I would have expected something more intelligent from you since you took the time to jump in here, rather than resort to what I take as a child like confrontation. Not that it really matters, if I wanted to (shall I just say) be confrontational I could jump in some of your stuff here and say the exact same thing, but I never have . Enough on that, this is a waste of my time.

I would have expected something more intelligent from you since you took the time to jump in here, rather than resort to what I take as a child like confrontation. Not that it really matters, if I wanted to (shall I just say) be confrontational I could jump in some of your stuff here and say the exact same thing, but I never have . Enough on that, this is a waste of my time.

Um, OK, thats honestly what I would have thought, there was zero confrontation and I'm unsure why you are searching so hard for it.

He's a celeb, I've got more things in life to worry about than how he acts on a golf course personally, my opinion completely, and that is not at all "confrontational".

Would've thought nothing of it - just that I let him play through; however when he got close I would've walked up and said "Mr. Jordan I am a huge fan and extend my hand out for a handshake"

The only reason I even remembered this minor incident ( which never was a biggie) was because I saw MJ trash talking Obama's golf game, saying he was a hack, acting as if he MJ was some type of super stud golfer etc.. To me it came across as at the very least a little bit of arrogance on the part of Michael and brought back the one time encounter I had with MJ. This is why I started this thread since it is at least relevant to minor golf news.

Last edited:
Would've thought nothing of it - just that I let him play through; however when he got close I would've walked up and said "Mr. Jordan I am a huge fan and extend my hand out for a handshake"

Respect that , I would have had to pursue his cart for that one, and never got close to him thereafter.

Michael Jordan? Arrogant? Get outta town!

Also, I suppose it's entirely possible he throws a fair amount of money around. If he wasn't famous and did all this stuff, you'd figure it was just some rich jerk paying off a course ranger or something. Which is probably exactly what it was...just happened to be a rich jerk who has to take off 6 championship rings to get a decent grip on the golf club.

Back