What would you shoot at Augusta?

I don't think counting the strokes (180-200) would be worth it. I would just enjoy the once in lifetime opportunity and soak it all in.

Last edited:
Realistically ~ less than 120 would be a great score for me there.

Gotta figure you get what you pay for there, The best manicured course in existence. At least from my eyes.

My buddy asked if he could make the cut if they gave him 50 strokes... Hell no, I said. From tournament tee's, tournament conditions, not a chance. Maybe 50 strokes per round.
He scores in the low-mid 80's when playing from 6000 yards. He's fairly short hitter and struggles with a left to right ball. From 7700 yards, it would be brutal just playing for double bogeys on most of the par 4's. Without a draw off the tee, he's not getting to par 5's in 3, maybe not 4. He's a low spin player so I don't even know how you stop it on those greens? He does have good touch around the greens and with his putter but you'd still be hoping to get down in 3-4 strokes after each approach.
The numbers just don't add up.

My buddy asked if he could make the cut if they gave him 50 strokes... Hell no, I said. From tournament tee's, tournament conditions, not a chance. Maybe 50 strokes per round.
He scores in the low-mid 80's when playing from 6000 yards. He's fairly short hitter and struggles with a left to right ball. From 7700 yards, it would be brutal just playing for double bogeys on most of the par 4's. Without a draw off the tee, he's not getting to par 5's in 3, maybe not 4. He's a low spin player so I don't even know how you stop it on those greens? He does have good touch around the greens and with his putter but you'd still be hoping to get down in 3-4 strokes after each approach.
Maybe 50 per side!!

I think the course itself wouldn’t give too much trouble. Its around and on the greens I think that would cause nightmares.
It’d be a lot of snowmen on the scorecard.
I think the course is going to be harder than most people think. There are very few flat lies your either going up a hill or down.

I think the course is going to be harder than most people think. There are very few flat lies your either going up a hill or down.
Absolutely. Flat surfaces give enough problems. Never mind finding footing.every.single.shot

You sir, are an outlier! Obviously at a +2, your game is more refined than you average hacker!
Yeah! What are you even doing on this forum!? You, you...non-hacker!!! :ROFLMAO:

Possibly myself after absolutely being hammered by the course. :cry:
LMAO, this made me legit laugh out loud. Best response yet.

if i played every lost ball as a lateral penatly maybe 120 lol

From the tournament tees with tournament green speeds, etc, I'd hope to break 120. The uneven lies would kill me. They are one of many kryptonites for me.

I’d take it a La a win to break 100, but I think realistically I’d be somewhere between 100 and 110 in tournament conditions. When 3D TVs became a thing, I watched the event in 3D and the course is brutal with its undulations. The greens would crucify me.

I wouldn't keep score, why ruin the day?

I'd easily shoot 120+, and I don't think any 15 handicap would break 100 from the Tour tees, in Tour conditions - not even on a career best day. If you're a 15 handicap you have weaknesses somewhere in your game, and ANGC has ways to exploit any/all of them. ANGC has never been officially rated, but their "unofficial" course rating/slope is 76.0/148, and it plays over 7500 yards from the Tour tees. Plugging those numbers into a differential calculator says that a 15 handicap would have to shoot a 96 at ANGC to play to their Index (that yields a 15.3 differential). I don't see that happening, I think it's totally unrealistic.

There's a good article on the popeofslope website that talks about how ANGC was "unofficially" rated, and discusses the difficulties of the course:

i don’t think there’s a chance in hell a 15 handicap is breaking 100 on that course from tournament tees and masters conditions. 15 handicaps don’t shoot scores in the mid 80s, if they did they would have a handicap much lower than that.
It highly depends upon the course they're playing. I'm a 13-14, and shoot mid 80s all the time. But we're talking from 5838-6337 yards, on my home course that I know like the back of my hand, with course ratings of 68-70 and slopes of 118-123. A score of 85 yields a 13.2 differential from our blue tees and a 16.2 from the whites, so it's not exactly a stellar accomplishment. Put me on a longer, more difficult course that I'm not familiar with and my weaknesses are quickly exposed, and there's little chance that I'm going to play to my handicap. On a 7500+ yard course with those kind of ratings? As you said, not a chance in hell.

Last edited:
MtlJeff said:
"I have friends who've played Augusta (from the members tees) and they've all talked about how awesome the course is, but they made some putts , missed some putts.....it's golf...harder golf...but golf lol"

Just one thought, We are talking the Pro tees not the members tees.

Yes aware, that's why I qualified my statement when I said I had friends that played the course (specifically, not from pro tees)

So you can learn a bit from them but their scores are not relevant to this discussion

Yeah! What are you even doing on this forum!? You, you...non-hacker!!! :ROFLMAO:

I like this forum!

Hackers are more my peeps. :)

The jerk to non jerk ratio is higher the better you get

W/ cart or walking? lol

Gonna focus on the italicized, cause the two guys with 11 green jackets hit a heck of a lot of fades around that course.

At 7700yds, he’s not getting to where the draw begins to be needed. Can’t guarantee he’s gonna have short irons into the par 5’s for his third, but weirder things have happened when you get slopes involved.

Back