What really grinds your gears

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
In the words of Peter Griffin, what really "grinds your gears" when you are on the golf course or range? I mean, gets your ears steaming and your game suffers?

I have a few:

- Speed golfers who hit into my group more than once. Warning, I might send it back...
- People who have more than a mintue long conversation on the range. We're there to hit balls...
- Unlevel tee boxes. Seriously, is it that hard?
- Myself. More often than not... :D

What puts you on tilt?

probably people looking for there ball forever while im standing on the tee box ready to hit and they just keep searching, talking like 5-10 minutes of having to wait on them to move.

Or when im hitting my second shot, people get done putting and have a nice conversation or redo the whole putt for the heck of it while im waiting on them to move.

When the group of THREE in front of the SINGLE are 30 feet in front of the teebox prepping for their second shot when I'm standing on the teebox behind them.

This happened 4 times before I let them get just far enough away to scare them with a 275 yard bomb about 15 from them. (I nutted up on it and gutted it down the middle).

I'm not normally like that but when you've had FOUR chances to let me play through on the first 5 holes, let the single play through!

That really grinds my gears.

I don't really get excited about too much on the golf course, but those dang e-mails from the course sent out to all the members telling us what day's WE CAN'T PLAY because of some outing going on just get's under my skin. I understand they need outings to make money for the course, but seem's like I get them almost every weekend any more.

I don't really get excited about too much on the golf course, but those dang e-mails from the course sent out to all the members telling us what day's WE CAN'T PLAY because of some outing going on just get's under my skin. I understand they need outings to make money for the course, but seem's like I get them almost every weekend any more.

I always wondered if you'd have to put up wiht alot of theat being a member somewhere. Now I know lol

I always wondered if you'd have to put up wiht alot of theat being a member somewhere. Now I know lol

Yeah, it's a love hate thing. I mean, at least for our course, the extra income is a great thing for keeping the place in the red, but 40 people from out of town taking over the course until 4:30 PM get's a bit old.

when the course doesnt bother to tell you that they just aerified the greens and tee boxes! I know its a necessary evil but at least tell people! I usually make it a point to ask but it never fails that one time I forget to, little holes of sand everywhere! grrrrr

Not much bothers me. I’m just there to have fun and I assume everyone else is there for the same reason. I’m known as the king of patience on the course. As long as no one is doing deliberate damage to the course, I’m good.
I play at a very rural course where everyone knows everyone. The course has few rules and one of them is no cell phones on the course which I like.
Slow play can be an issue at times, but I always consider who it is that is playing slow. Kids playing slow is alright in my book. There are lots of worse places they could be and things they could be doing. Old(er) people, give em a break. We are all going to be old sooner or later. I’m pretty durable. Nothing really bothers me I guess on the course.

Single biggest thing that kills my game is getting paired with total a**holes or flakes. I walk on as a single a lot and expect to get paired up with whoever by the starter, and 99% of the time it's no problem and at least 50% of the time I meet someone new that is a lot of fun and am glad I met... or someone I've played with before and already know. But 3-4 times a year I get someone or a group I just plain can't stand to play with. The last 3 were:

1) "Hypercompetitive guy having a really bad day". Obviously a player with a lot of game but just wasn't hooking up. Throwing clubs, generally unpleasant, didn't say a word after the first teebox where he pushed his opening drive OB right. Serious amount of negative energy flowing out of the guy- and watching my average day (which was probably about on par with his very bad day score wise) with utter contempt. Fortunately he quit after nine. Never said word one to me from hole 2 on.

2) "Real Estate guy with cell phone trying to close deals while on the course". Seriously, he had about 5 calls in the first 3 holes. Including one that must have lasted about 5 minutes. Really got in my head for some reason. I asked him if he could stop doing that, and he just said 'hey- gotta make a living'. Looked at his buddies and they just shrugged. I gave up after 9.

3) "Fast playing guys in a cart that drive to hit their next shot before I hit". After we all hit our first shot and went to our balls, they'd hit their 2nd shot and then drive up before I hit mine (I was generally hitting farther). So the cart would be going down the path or fairway about 100 yards ahead of me on the way to near the green or wherever while I'm trying to hit the approach. Tried to block it out of my mind, but couldn't and wound up hitting a lot of bad shots because I was subconsiously trying not to hit them. Asked them to wait for me to hit before they drove on on about the 4th hole, and they said 'hey, we're just playing ready golf. try to keep up or get a cart next time'. Drove me nuts. I just had them play on and finished the round as a single since there was no one behind.

Slow putters.
Groups of SIX!!
The lazy clubhouse staff.
Booze hounds.
Smokers
Loud People
Highway Noise
Lack of water in coolers
4 dollar Gatoraide
Collegiate Themed Equipment
Unsolicited Advice
Speed Golf
Golf Cart Raceing
Extended Cell Phone Conversations
Poorly kept courses charging $40

Some more-

Bad drainage
lost balls
Mom saying I have to be finished by 6
gnats
ant beds
litter
dirt greens
Snobs
HotHeads
Pink Ladies Clubs
Grunters
People who have 2500 $$ worth of clubs that cant break 130
Arrogant Jerks
Spitting
Club Throwing
Bad Ettiquete
Fathers and Mothers that dont try to introduce their kids to golf
Eliteists
Preps
People who talk more about stocks than golf

Slow play ... and rangers who think their job is to sun themselves and smile.

Yeah, it's a love hate thing. I mean, at least for our course, the extra income is a great thing for keeping the place in the red, but 40 people from out of town taking over the course until 4:30 PM get's a bit old.

I hear that, Due. Earlier this summer I was getting so frustrated that I was thinking about asking the kid at the pro shop desk if they had ever thought about having "Member's Days" during the week.

Oh, well... the pitfalls of being a member at a public course. I'll put up with the rampant gangs of highschool kids smoking pot on the course, out of towners in their RV's, and business leaguers dressed like Titleist staff pros. I know they'll be gone come the fall. Lotsa good golf to be had then!

The BF constantly telling me what I'm doing wrong...I don't need to hear it esp. from him nor do I want to hear it from him. He just won't stop and it completely irritates me to death :angry: He did it 4 times to me today. I'm just out there to have fun...

The BF constantly telling me what I'm doing wrong...I don't need to hear it esp. from him nor do I want to hear it from him. He just won't stop and it completely irritates me to death :angry: He did it 4 times to me today. I'm just out there to have fun...

do i see a EX BF in the near future? lol

grrrrrrrr get em GC! :act-up:

Thats near the top of my list too. My other big one is people playing from the tips that cant reach the fairway.

Sometimes the BF loses his ball in the rough and takes way too long to find it. That bugs me too. If he would just hit them straight in the fairway like I do, there'd be no problems :D

For the most part I don't get too cranky on the course, but I do have a few things that annoy me.

- slow play
- cratered greens
- uneven tee boxes
- blading a chip shot
- topping any shot

Here is a short list of what really grinds my gears....

grinds.jpg

1)When I am walking with a group of 4, and the group of 2 in front of me has a cart and still holds everyone up
2)When someone either in my group or ahead of me leaves there cart/bag on the opposite side of the green so they have to walk back to it before heading to the next tee
3)People who don't shoot their realscore
4)Horrible tee boxes
5)courses with no water to drink on them
6)When I shank a pitch shot...lapse of concentration

Stopping for food at the turn and backing everything up.
Not repairing ball marks or divots.

Courses that think the tour is coming to town and let their rough grow up to biblical proportions! Now of course I should keep my ball in the fairway more often, but come on, if you want to help pace of play, mow the freakin rough.

Those that lack the ability to set a friggin cup! That is my ultimate flip out moment especially when it's a dead on 5 footer and it magically turns off line right in front of the cup...GRRRRR

-If your a single, people that don't let you pass

-I know its not their fault, but when my buddies play terrible I hate that too

-If your a single, people that don't let you pass

-I know its not their fault, but when my buddies play terrible I hate that too

Il be sure to never play with you. lol I can just see you saying "hurry up you morons, im 3 under and you arent even breaking 100 today!" :D

Il be sure to never play with you. lol I can just see you saying "hurry up you morons, im 3 under and you arent even breaking 100 today!" :D

Haha, I never usually say anything but it isn't completely like that.

I mainly play with one of my best friends who is just about the same playing ability as me if not better. If he is playing crappy and I'm playing well, it just doesn't feel like a completely good day. The ideal day of golf for me would be both of us shooting really well, then we can both reflect on it. It doesn't seem as fun if you shoot 75 and your buddy can't even hit a ball that day.

People that talk golf shots using the negative vs. the positive.

Don't hit it left instead of hit it right-center
Don't hit it over the green instead of hit it front/middle
Don't leave it short, instead of put it on the green

I actually heard a pro giving a putting lesson Sunday morning and he was telling the student "don't hit this one short", "don't hit this one left", etc. ARRGGGHHH!!!!

Back