What is an active member

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I have noticed for the last few threads asking for equipment testers the last question asked is "Do you consider yourself active on THP?" and as I skim through the responses I noticed of course everyone said yes and some add a little comment explaining their response. Often times the guys with 10 posts who have signed up back in 2011 say something like " I don't post much but I read the forum every day" which I suppose in their minds is justification for saying they are active. I tend to think differently. I think if someone is to be considered an active member of this forum he/she needs to do more than read the threads everyday. They need to engage in some of the conversations that go on here, whether the ones about the various product tests going on or even some of the non-golf related stuff like sports talk or what are they watching,drinking or eating just so they can get their feet wet in the THP community. I know it can be tough when one first joins THP, it is now a giant community with several different conversations going on and it can be tough and challenging to jump right into the middle of a conversation with people you don't know. But if you can not do that and amass more than 10-70 posts in 6 months - 18 months of being a part of this community, how will putting a new piece of equipment, or new widget in your hands change things for you that you will now be that active member you are claiming you already are.

I want to state I am not intending this thread to be another one of those wild ones about who should and should not be allowed to test equipment. I am merely asking the THP universe what to them qualifies someone as an "active member". If this gets out of hand or the mods think I am wrong in starting this thread by all means lock it up and I apologize in advance.

Good question. I have no clue buddy. I read all those responses and just laugh. I find it incredible that the only posts some people have are forum testing sign up posts. Whatever though. I'm not the Sheriff around here. I don't set any of the criteria and if those folks fit in it, then they have every right to apply.

The first indicator of an active member is a member whose post count isn't made up of testing thread entrances.

This is a good question and thread. I am never sure how to answer that question in those threads either. I hope I am active. I guess I just try to be useful and productive when I am on here. I guess that is active to me.

Good question. I have no clue buddy. I read all those responses and just laugh. I find it incredible that the only posts some people have are forum testing sign up posts. Whatever though. I'm not the Sheriff around here. I don't set any of the criteria and if those folks fit in it, then they have every right to apply.

I'm not sure either. And I'm with TC, in that it's not my place to decide who is and isn't active. I will say that most of those who say they don't post much but are active because they read the forum, I don't have a clue who these people are. And I am on the forum a LOT. An effin' lot. I'm on most of the day and until after midnight most nights, and I don't recognize the names. My opinion, which means squat in this case, is that part of being active on a forum is posting in the forum. Signing in and reading and not posting is the same as being a guest and reading the forum.

The first indicator of an active member is a member whose post count isn't made up of testing thread entrances.
I'll agree with that. I'm not sure about the guy that gets on here everyday and doesn't post much. Heck I'm on here a lot and don't post a whole lot. Do I consider myself active? Sure I do. However I also think the guy with 20 posts that reads all the equipment threads thinks he is active as well. This site probably needs both to run. I don't think you have to have 10,000 posts to be considered active I guess

I'm not sure either. And I'm with TC, in that it's not my place to decide who is and isn't active. I will say that most of those who say they don't post much but are active because they read the forum, I don't have a clue who these people are. And I am on the forum a LOT. An effin' lot. I'm on most of the day and until after midnight most nights, and I don't recognize the names. My opinion, which means squat in this case, is that part of being active on a forum is posting in the forum. Signing in and reading and not posting is the same as being a guest and reading the forum.

And I always check out the bottom of the screen to see what members are reading what threads and I don't recognize many of the names signing up either.

I think this is a good topic as it is intended. The question really has multiple answers, but in the end, outside of a few certain things, it is really up to the participant to decide if they are active or not. THP as a site is geared to everybody in my opinion and in the end, if one feels that they are active, then in their terms they are.

There in lies the deeper definition and with that more questions.
Does one have to experience a THP event?
Does one have to be an Albatross Club member?
Does one have to support THP events whether they participate or not?
Does one have to talk golf?

I think those questions all have answers, but truthfully, there is nothing black and white and it all goes back to the original thought. It is all relevant to the individual person.

And I always check out the bottom of the screen to see what members are reading what threads and I don't recognize many of the names signing up either.

Me too dude. I like doing that because to me the chance of a conversation is increased 1000%. I'd much rather talk with someone than just post 1 or two things. The only time I post 1 or two things is in the check in desk.

I guess everyone is as active as they can be or want to be. I don't (and wouldn't want to) define what is active on THP but I would start with say 100 posts a month, and logging onto the site at least 5 times a week.

Who knows? The reason for the question is a valid one with equipment having gone missing in the past and even some of that stuff was from "active" members. If someone thinks they are active because they read the site everyday then they are active at what they want to do with THP, thats not wrong.

I think this is a good topic as it is intended. The question really has multiple answers, but in the end, outside of a few certain things, it is really up to the participant to decide if they are active or not. THP as a site is geared to everybody in my opinion and in the end, if one feels that they are active, then in their terms they are.

There in lies the deeper definition and with that more questions.
Does one have to experience a THP event?
Does one have to be an Albatross Club member?
Does one have to support THP events whether they participate or not?
Does one have to talk golf?

I think those questions all have answers, but truthfully, there is nothing black and white and it all goes back to the original thought. It is all relevant to the individual person.

And how relevant he or she wants to be to THP. Good points JB.

Even though I read parts of the forums every day I don't really consider myself an active member (Tech Support excluded) because I don't really get into any of the threads. I think 90% of my posts are in Tech Support if they even count.

For me I don't really have time to read through 20+ pages and 100s of threads, hell I barely get an hour a day on the computer, which is why I don't post much or keep up on any threads.

Originally joined to meet up with new people and perhaps make some new friends not looking for "FREE STUFF" but instead just make some new friends.But the one thing i do notice is when trying to jump in to a thread is it either just dies out or you get ignored maybe not on purpose but still some times it feels like hay hello .But ol well i'll keep tryin.

If everyone said they were active but didn't post this forum wouldnt be what it is. I agree in a sense that that isn't what THP wants people to be to be active.

Active is simple, be involved in what parts of the site you want to be and enjoy it. Just don't complain about cliques, testing, or whatever if you aren't active in what the site is built around; golf.

I guess everyone is as active as they can be or want to be. I don't (and wouldn't want to) define what is active on THP but I would start with say 100 posts a month, and logging onto the site at least 5 times a week.

Who knows? The reason for the question is a valid one with equipment having gone missing in the past and even some of that stuff was from "active" members. If someone thinks they are active because they read the site everyday then they are active at what they want to do with THP, thats not wrong.

I agree with your comment the question is a valid one CB and I agree with JB that there is no real right or wrong answer here. But if everyone answers the question the same way ( Yes) then the answer is watered down and not truly representative. It does not get you what you seek and that is the people who are part of this community whether there is an opportunity available or not.

Even though I read parts of the forums every day I don't really consider myself an active member (Tech Support excluded) because I don't really get into any of the threads. I think 90% of my posts are in Tech Support if they even count.

For me I don't really have time to read through 20+ pages and 100s of threads, hell I barely get an hour a day on the computer, which is why I don't post much or keep up on any threads.
This is a great exams to me.... How many people here do as much to help this place than he does? I would say that's being an active member.. Wouldnt you guys? Like stated if you think your active then I guess you are.. If you don't you aren't.

Originally joined to meet up with new people and perhaps make some new friends not looking for "FREE STUFF" but instead just make some new friends.But the one thing i do notice is when trying to jump in to a thread is it either just dies out or you get ignored maybe not on purpose but still some times it feels like hay hello .But ol well i'll keep tryin.

I'm sorry, I didn't hear you :alien:

I could see that though. Appreciate the honesty.

In my opinion, activity has way more to do with posting than reading. You don't have to have thousands of posts to be active, but more than 100 over a year and a half. While JB brings up good questions, I don't think activity has to do with attending THP events or being an Albatross Club Member as those require time and/or money, which not everybody has. Supporting THP events, on the other hand, I do think is important.

Good thing I don't make the rules around here, lol.

This is a great exams to me.... How many people here do as much to help this place than he does? I would say that's being an active member.. Wouldnt you guys? Like stated if you think your active then I guess you are.. If you don't you aren't.

You beat me to it. I think TA is a good example of that. I had to wait the 45 seconds to post hahaha

I am one of the people that added something to the answer in the testing thread. I consider myself active, and I usually have multiple posts per day, I think my profile says I average 4.3 posts per day, nut compared to some people who have 25k posts, and i only havr 300 or so since I joined in June may not be active to some. What I don't get are the people who only post to enter the contests. If they haven't made posts before, what makes you think they will all of a sudden start doing write ups and not just "take the club and run"

Dan

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung galaxy s3

I'm sorry, I didn't hear you :alien:

I could see that though. Appreciate the honesty.

The "ignored thing" can happen quite often here with so many threads going on at the same time. Alot of people have the feeling of being ignored here, from noobs to "vets who have been here for many years. Not TC though, he is never ignored, cause he is in the "in crowd" LOL

The "ignored thing" can happen quite often here with so many threads going on at the same time. Alot of people have the feeling of being ignored here, from noobs to "vets who have been here for many years. Not TC though, he is never ignored, cause he is in the "in crowd" LOL
Yeah. You have to be in the THP Elite club!!! We must not be that cool.

I don't worry about what others are doing. I throw my name in the hat and if it's good enough to be chosen, great and I will do my best. If not, I will be happy for those that were. Maybe I wasn't the right fit for the product. Maybe someone has something better to offer. I have seen guys that are relatively new to the forum, without the high post counts, become some of the best testers of products we may have here. Some people get their first testing and really get their wheels underneath them and do a smash up job. I don't make the rules, I don't have any input on who gets selected, I just show up and play my part and hope its enough.

Ha! I can assure you that I get ignored.

TO get back on topic, I'll be brutally honest here: I really don't think someone who's been on the board for more than 6 months and has less than 50-100 posts even deserves a shot to test anything. Why would I all of a sudden want to read what they're doing when they have commented on what others have been doing for so long. It's a give and take thing.

I think we all know what an active member is and we all know those that want free stuff. That question I always thought it was for the OEM to decide who they want reviewing their gear. This is an assumption on my part but that why I think it's asked.
I think an ACTIVE member contributes to the forums and others on the forum, in one way or another. This could be once a week or everyday but their presence is felt or known when they are around and missed when they are gone. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but over all the active member knows what this place is about and knows that interaction is greatly appreciated by all.

Back