What iron do you want to see ball comparisons done with?

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
People talk about not liking 6 iron data, wedge comparisons, and various other things. So it were up to you and you were looking at ball comparison data, what iron would want that to have been done with?

I’d like my 7 iron. Don’t have as many off strikes with it. Not sure it will make much difference tho

People talk about not liking 6 iron data, wedge comparisons, and various other things. So it were up to you and you were looking at ball comparison data, what iron would want that to have been done with?
Personally I don’t think which club matters all that much. Just that the comparison is 🍎 🍏

8 iron. Probably middle of the Irons for more people.

What’s wrong with an 6 iron for data? Just curious on that.

Personally I don’t think which club matters all that much. Just that the comparison is 🍎 🍏
Spin gaps between balls can get a little tighter as the irons get longer. And shorter sometimes. Doesn't matter to you?

7 iron is my preferred iron for ball testing.

What’s wrong with an 6 iron for data? Just curious on that.
For the reason the post above you kind of mentioned. A lot of people don't play long irons so a 6 can be near the end of their set instead of the middle.

7 iron is my preferred iron for ball testing.
So you want to see 7i data because that's what you test/hit/get fit with?

7i. I feel I’m most in tune with when it comes to ideal numbers

Spin gaps between balls can get a little tighter as the irons get longer. And shorter sometimes. Doesn't matter to you?
Well, if I am trying a new ball I go through the whole set. Driver is generally the least telling.

I think that is why on YouTube channels like formerly known as TXG they would hit wedges, a mid irons and driver to try and cover the spectrum.

For me, I don’t really care. I know my numbers and I know that whoever is doing the test is not me. So if they are comparing two balls and I can see the differences then I will just use that a little bit to see if I am interested and go try it.. typically I am going to try them all any way if it’s a “premium” ball.

I would say 7 iron

For the reason the post above you kind of mentioned. A lot of people don't play long irons so a 6 can be near the end of their set instead of the middle.

As a follow up question who picked the 6 iron as the standard iron to use? It makes sense some people want to see a different club used, A 7 iron makes more sense I guess.

As a follow up question who picked the 6 iron as the standard iron to use? It makes sense some people want to see a different club used, A 7 iron makes more sense I guess.
OEMs decide with their fitting carts.

7 or 8i...two irons I'm most comfortable with and feel like the ball data would be more representative of my best case scenario? Way too inconsistent with a 6i :cry:

If I were going in for a ball fitting, I'd want to use my 6-iron because it's either the longest club I can say I have a decent amount of consistency with, or the shortest club where I can say mis-strikes aren't uncommon, but aren't so egregious as to be shots I can just toss out.

8 iron. Probably middle of the Irons for more people.
Just did some 8 irons. Honestly, not sure there's much more in it but it was good to switch it up a bit.

Personally 8i is my favorite club.

But I think 7i is a good “mid iron” to get data with.

8i is the best choice for average players. 6i is to sporadic and 7i is better but still not a great consistent sample.

Driver, 6i and PW full shots. Pitches and chips too while you’re at it.

Driver, 6i and PW full shots. Pitches and chips too while you’re at it.
Dude, you be broken and hit every club with every ball and get back to me about how you feel after. 😆

Driver, 7i and Wedge, You can pick the wedge.

Back