What if you miss that gimme after it's given?

SharkHat

Aquatic Headwear Fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
My swing
Last week on the course, one of the players in my foursome was given a putt, but decided that he wanted to try to putt it out anyway to see if he could make it.

I've done this before as well, as sometimes when you actually have a nice par or birdie chance, you just want the feeling of finishing out the hole.

But what if you miss? Should that count as a stroke, as though you're playing it out despite the putt being given? Or should it be ignored since it's after the putt was already given?

Ignored. Hole is over as soon as the putt is conceded.

The rule says that once a putt is conceded, that's it, so no other strokes after that count.

I always play that if it's for par or better, you have to putt it out. After that who cares? (Unless it's a tourney that is)

yup, once it's given it doesn't matter in my book.

Everyone here is correct but that is a sh*tty feeling when you are given a putt than miss it! Haha I hate that.

Gimme is a gimme unless you have an established rule that if the player decides to putt out on his own then the gimme is no longer valid if they miss.

When someone tells me to "pick it up" that's what I do. Free strokes are great for my score!!!

When someone tells me to "pick it up" that's what I do. Free strokes are great for my score!!!

Me too! But I always putt out on my own - I hate it when people pick up their ball when they weren't given the putt specifically by someone.

Agreed with everyone else. Once conceded, it's in.

However, I always putt them all out.

Once it's given the hole is over...most of the time when I see people walk up and try to make the putt anyway they don't take their time or go through a routine...they just walk up and hit it..that's why you see a lot of them missed.

I always like to putt it out especially for par or the rare birdie it's a confidence thing for me. If I miss I don't count the stroke cause usually my attempt at making it is half #%>{¥.

If its for bogey or worse I'll just pick it up, although the rare occasion I will still putt it for confidence knowing I saved it after a bad whole or will wait till everyone is done with the hole then drop and putt.

Technically, you can only give a putt in match play. Officially, if you're playing stroke play there are no gimmes!

That said, if a putt is given, don't putt it anyway, and you don't have that problem! Or move it back a foot before you putt!

once it is conceded then that is what the score will be, for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it's given the gole is over. I give my partner a hard time about it but make sure he takes the gimmie.

Gimme is a gimme. Hole done. Pick it up, there is no upside to making it but can dent your confidence if you miss it!

Once it's given the hole is over...most of the time when I see people walk up and try to make the putt anyway they don't take their time or go through a routine...they just walk up and hit it..that's why you see a lot of them missed.

I agree completely with TBT, many times the folks are simply hitting it with one hand after the putt is conceded.

Good call Tim!

See there is always that awkward feeling that if the putt is given and the player still putts and misses. So to me, it's either take what's given to you and don't even attempt the putt or putt it and take whatever results you actually get

Tapa Slice

This situation is a perfect time to work on drag putting.

Once given you could miss 10 in a row and the gimme stands. I've played with some that won't except gimme so if they miss the card what ever they made. Usually after a missed gimme I hear, I should have taken the gimme

I agree with most here once the putt is conceded hole is done and I don't count strokes after that point.

I have played with people that say " I am not counting that one" after they miss what would be considered a gimmie but wasn't specifically stated by another member of the group. If it isnt a match or even just a friendly competition and we are all playing our own balls I really don't care. Golf is like life in a lot of ways, if you want to lie on your score card you are only hurting your self and that is on you. That's just me.

I am guessing the OP's was just a friendly match. For tournament play....I vaguely recall something in the decisions book about putting a conceded putt in Match play, because for instance if I am putting for bogey, my putt may show the line to my partner who is putting for birdie, strategy could be to concede the bogey and once a putt is conceded in match play you must pick up....

2-4/6 http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-02/#2-4/6

Back