What gets you more, bad shot or bad break?

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT
This will be the same answer for some. But for me, I find it very difficult to recover from getting punished for a shot that wasn't that bad. Like say, something is a bit off line but catches a hill, or tree, or (f***en) cart path and launches 15yds OB, or into a hazard or disappears in the deep nothingness of Fangorn forest...

Or just as simple as the perfect drive that finds a divot.

If I make a terrible swing, I get annoyed. But if I make an okay swing and it winds up in the same position or worse than a terrible swing, then I get pissed and inevitably make a terrible swing on the next one...and the next one...and the next one...and...

So, what gets you more, bad shot or bad break? And more importantly how do you recover and move on (after losing strokes that weren't your fault to... the stupid cart path, or that one 2" limb that sticks out for no Mu*&!# F*&^en reason...I mean unfortunate obstacles)?

The bad break. I expect bad shots, but a great drive that I just can't find, or an approach that hits acdamn pebble on the green to takes off, so infuriating

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don't dwell on either once they have occured, but poor execution resulting in a bad shot ruffles my feathers more. I have more control over that than getting a bad break. $#!& happens...

bad breaks put me on tilt and i hate that

I am going to go the other way and say that I am more annoyed with a bad shot than a bad break because I can't control in all cases which way the ball bounces. When I hit a bad shot, that's on me. When I get a bad break I find that I usually focus more and try to hit a really good shot to make up for the bad break. I've also learned that the bad breaks even out with the good ones.

Bad shot for sure, because you where in control of that. Bad/unlucky bounces happen.

Bad shot for sure, because you where in control of that. Bad/unlucky bounces happen.

same for me. I control bad shots and that's 100% on me. Bad breaks are uncontrollable.

I think part of it is that I have a higher % bad swings than good ones (I'm trying to get to at least 50-50). So when I do actually make a decent swing and still take it in the teeth... it's harder to get over.

Bad shots. I try not to dwell on things I can't change, though I will say that bad breaks do get me a little extra salty if I'm having a bad day.

Bad breaks for sure. I'm a 7-8 handicap so I'm going to hit 8-10 bad shots per round regardless so I can accept those.
When I hit a sprinkler head one yard off the front of the green and ricochet into oblivion? Harder to stomach.

bad break for sure. bad shots happen, but when I hit it well a good result is expected

bad shots all day long. one bad shot can lead to another bad shot as i mentally lose focus. it's rare that one bad break will lead to another bad break.

Bad shots because that's all I can control.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

bad shots all day long. one bad shot can lead to another bad shot as i mentally lose focus. it's rare that one bad break will lead to another bad break.

No, but for me, a bad break can and will lead to bad swings.

This will be the same answer for some. But for me, I find it very difficult to recover from getting punished for a shot that wasn't that bad. Like say, something is a bit off line but catches a hill, or tree, or (f***en) cart path and launches 15yds OB, or into a hazard or disappears in the deep nothingness of Fangorn forest...

Or just as simple as the perfect drive that finds a divot.

If I make a terrible swing, I get annoyed. But if I make an okay swing and it winds up in the same position or worse than a terrible swing, then I get pissed and inevitably make a terrible swing on the next one...and the next one...and the next one...and...

So, what gets you more, bad shot or bad break? And more importantly how do you recover and move on (after losing strokes that weren't your fault to... the stupid cart path, or that one 2" limb that sticks out for no Mu*&!# F*&^en reason...I mean unfortunate obstacles)?

I get more upset at bad shots. If I hit a beauty of a shot and it turns out to be in a bad spot because of a freak bounce or whatever I chalk it up as a great shot... just unlucky outcome.

A bad shot... no way around that. Everything about it was bad so I would say that gets to me more.

Bad shot is worse for me. With a bad bounce at least I know I made good contact.

Bad shot because that is all on me. Bad breaks happen and seem to even out over time when a bad shot bounces of a tree or something and ends up in the middle of the fairway.

100% bad shots.

If I shot 95 and
1. every drive was perfectly striped, but landed in someone elses divot
2. every approach shot bounced off the flag stick and into the bunker/off the green
3. all my long putts lipped out.

Then, I wouldn't even be crazy upset. That's a good golfer with unfortunate events of the day hampering score. You would expect this player to be damn near scratch on any normal day.

If I shot 85 and
1. Every drive was a worm burner or OB and took a bounce to playable
2. Every approach was rolled up to the green from a fatty shank
3. Every green was a 5 foot two putt

I would be livid. That's not an unlucky day of golf. That's a bad golfer with good results. You would expect this guy to shoot 120 most days.

Bad shot. I cant control bad breaks but if I hit a bad shot, thats all on me. We all hit bad shots from time to time but that doesnt mean I have to be happy about it.

For those that are saying bad breaks are worse, any chance it was a bad shot that led you to the bad break. A good shot with course management should never lead to a bad break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that are saying bad breaks are worse, any chance it was a bad shot that led you to the bad break. A good shot with course management should never lead to a bad break

1 - fairway divots
2 - wedge shots that hit the fringe/green change and shoot the ball forward
3 - etc etc etc

1 - fairway divots
2 - wedge shots that hit the fringe/green change and shoot the ball forward
3 - etc etc etc

lol at fairway divots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you're trying to get up around the green on a par 5, your ball could stop short and be in a tough spot. if you're putting on bent grass in the summer and the fans are blowing to keep the moisture off the greens, something could land in your line while the ball is in motion. then there's the fairway divot rule. or a gust of wind comes up that you can't predict. i think there are times when the right decision and proper execution can still result in a less than desirable result.

Back