What Do You Do To Just Get Away???

collegefbfan

Reaction score
I have never been the type to just want to be out of the house away from stuff especially on the weekend. Me, the wife, and son go to brunch, all is fine. Pull in the driveway, and she starts naming off a couple of things that need to be done without remembering that it has been raining non-stop for two days. But not just naming them off, more in a way that it has to be done now without saying that. So, I did the requested things and thought well, shoot I might as well keep on doing "stuff". Peaceful. What do you all do just to get away, have a peaceful moment? Yardwork, wash the vehicle, play a round of golf, driving range, etc.

Go into my office/man cave, put some headphones on and play guitar. Or go sit on my back patio with a cigar and some music playing.

The gym is really good for stuff like that. Don’t have to talk to anyone, just go and do your thing
Gym is a good one, put some earbuds in and you're in your own world. Good way to work off the stress too.

There's also a walk that I love to take, at a park that's right on the shore of our lake. One of my favorite places, I get some exercise and relaxation at the same time.

Go out on the lake. Sometimes I forget to fish, I just sit there listening to the birds or music.

Last edited:
With three kinds under 7, I golf.

During the warmer months I go out to the patio and listen to music and drink beer.

If I can golf I will do so to get away. Otherwise, if I just need to get out of the house I’ll go shopping. Usually Best Buy, Lowe’s/Home Depot, Golf Galaxy, or Barnes and Noble.

Helmet on, fire up one of the bikes and go for a ride!

I’ll either take the dogs for a walk or go to the driving range

If it's just for a couple of hours I'm in my listening room, with a cocktail, listening to albums.
IMG_20230918_190857677_HDR.jpg

If the Mrs and I are wanting to get away for a weekend, or even a week or two, we load up the boat and we're out.
2021_PNW_ Trip_157.JPG

Either on the porch with bourbon and a cigar or I’ll throw the dog in the Jeep and we’ll go for a ride on the backroads

When it’s needed …. Out the back yard , no screen based devices near … and swing a club or down driving range ,,

Tinker in the garden , or walk , no music just walk , you never know who you may run into or meet ….

The simplest things , often provide the solutions to stress etc …..

One of two things

1) Go to driving range at my club and hit balls (i typically do this 3-4 days a week on lunch breaks to unwind a bit)

2) Cook on my BBQ while blasting 80s rock LOL ( i have some pretty loud BOSE speakers)

For me, it’s the chipping green or putting green. One club, 3 balls and a lot of silence. For my wife, it’s Starbucks and the dog park. For the both of us at home it’s a simple as a pizza on the grill, bottle of wine and the Buffett station.

Every fall we get a house at the beach that’s way too big for us and do as little as possible. Bahama mamas for lunch, a nap then maybe ice cream for dinner is an acceptable day.

I struggle sometimes with a 9 year old and an 11 year old it's hard to get away and not feel guilty. I usually fire up a video game and put headphones on if I can sneak a quick bit. If I need a longer breather, I'll grab the dog and take her for a longer walk

Back in the day, I used to go fishing to get away. I quit playing golf for several years when I was working a lot of hours, on call a lot and just didn’t have enough time to play frequently enough to play as well as I was capable. Being on the water was the respite I needed to recharge and forget about work for a while. Now that I’m retired, I never need to or want to get away.

If I can golf I do that. Otherwise I either pick up a guitar or put on a record and disassociate.

Back