What do you consider forgiveness?

When I really miss an iron shot it is one of three things: A chunk, a thin, or a shank. Haven’t found any iron design that can fix those misses. Those are on me.

For me it’s the dispersion circle. I known I’m not hitting the center every time. I want to know that as long as I’m hitting somewhere around that center spot, I’m not going crazy left/right or short/long.

Good question, I think it's pretty simple and not (by any means strictly associated with a single brand or for that matter club in one's bag). For me, it's when I feel in my hands instantly that I did not have decent shot - and then get surprised at the end result - be it distance or direction or both. That is forgiveness, when the results are directly opposite the expectation(s).

I think is crazy how most of us all have a different gauge of what forgiveness is.
Makes me wonder if hotter faces in the center is really backwards thought process. I know physics is at play and all, but if a company tuned down center face contact and brought up perimeter strikes to keep the spin and ball speed super close?

Getting close to my expected results with less than perfect and sometimes just bad contact. My irons are extremely forgiving, despite the “Pro” in the name. I may have actually buttoned about 5 shots this past year. And complained about them going too far. My contact has been mostly off center judging from contact tape, feedback, and results. But it’s been so consistent and soft that I didn’t even consider my contact was as bad as it actually is.

I think that “forgiveness” can be defined in different ways. It could objectively be defined as a design that scientifically creates higher MOI or something similar. It subjectively could mean a club that improves the prevalent miss for a particular player. For me, it means improving the result of my less than optimal swings. No club will save a horrible pass at the ball.

I have been watching a lot of these Cool Clubs iron tests on YouTube. I seem to have gone down a rabbits hole with these.

I am "confused " on what forgiveness even means anymore. With irons, is it getting the ball in the air easier? Is it left to right dispersion? Is it consistent distance?

I always in my head thought it meant, front to back difference on a miss hit. But after watching some of the video's ( too many my girlfriend says) I have noticed a trend. It appears the the irons that are in the more forgiving class have a larger fall off in distance compared to the center of the face. So clubs like the P790 to me look worst then the i230 or zx7.

Have I been thinking about forgiveness all wrong in irons? What is forgiveness to you?
Forgiveness in irons means less fall off in distance on off-center and less than perfect strikes.

Ball speed when not centered.

predictability is what I think of when thinking forgiveness. I want to know what’s going to happen when I miss and when I flush it.

Retention of ball speed across a higher percentage of the face is the only definition of forgiveness I've seen that makes a lick of sense. Having more of the club face react to impact as if the ball had struck the hottest part of the face.

Retention of ball speed across a higher percentage of the face is the only definition of forgiveness I've seen that makes a lick of sense. Having more of the club face react to impact as if the ball had struck the hottest part of the face.
That completely ignores any improvement in direction. A draw biased driver is a forgiving driver.

That completely ignores any improvement in direction. A draw biased driver is a forgiving driver.
A draw-based driver is one that sets up closed at address, is more upright, has more offset, is weighted to have heel-side bias, or some combination of all of those things. It's not forgiving to someone who struggles with a hook.

A draw-based driver is one that sets up closed at address, is more upright, has more offset, is weighted to have heel-side bias, or some combination of all of those things. It's not forgiving to someone who struggles with a hook.
That's a distinction without a difference.

Back