What Causes Your Blowup Rounds

What's the root cause?

• Total voters

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
We all have them. For those with a solid game, it may not be a complete collapse, just a disappointing score. For others, it feels like a complete loss of control... "like I've never held a golf club in my hand" as it's been described.

Have the occasional round where a catastrophic hole or two , destroys what could be considered solid golf.
It’s the 7-8-9 potential.
Par 5 s etc are all gettable at gir. It the errant shot and multiplier that cause the damage … it’s getting better and reducing . My own rule is nothing worse than a 6 .
Greater golf frequency would help a lot too

I chose swing change and other. I think I usually start to fade around the 15th or so as my back starts to fatigue a bit. I also start slow because I don't warm up often, so I am not really loose until the 3rd or 4th hole. Currently, I am sitting at a 19.3 HC and I bet 2 or 3 of those strokes are strictly due to those reasons.

Have the occasional round where a catastrophic hole or two , destroys what could be considered solid golf.
It’s the 7-8-9 potential.
Par 5 s etc are all gettable at gir. It the errant shot and multiplier that cause the damage … it’s getting better and reducing . My own rule is nothing worse than a 6 .
Greater golf frequency would help a lot too
I meant more in the way of a complete debacle of a round... a crazy, uncharacteristically high score after 18.

It's been a while since I played, but, what used cause blowup rounds, for me, was... well... playing golf :ROFLMAO:

Mental, I know it's gonna be a bad day on the way to the course sometimes.

I think for me it’s just one of those days. I had one in April where I shot 104. I don’t think I’ve failed to break 100 since high school. I couldn’t pinpoint what was going wrong that day. 2 way miss, not just with the driver but with the irons also. 6 3 putts. Bad short game. Just everything was bad and I couldn’t find it that day.

I picked poor mental state.

I’ve been actively working on ‘staying in the round’. What I mean by that is not getting out of my routine’s when things start going bad.

I’m doing my best to quickly move on to the next shot and not getting sloppy with how I address, waggle, read putts, etc.

I was able to turn an abysmal front nine into a really nice back nine the other day by staying in the round.

Making mistakes, losing concentration.

Last edited:
Just one of those days for me, it doesn't correlate reliably for me to any external factors. Some days I just don't have it.

Not being physically prepared for the round. Could be a poor night's sleep, aches and pains, tight muscles, etc.

I've struggled for the first part of my season due to tightness/restriction in my left shoulder. I've got 80% of it worked out now, and it's unbelievable how much of an impact it was having.

Unforced errors. Making too many doubles because of one or more poor shots on the hole.

I think for me it’s just one of those days. I had one in April where I shot 104. I don’t think I’ve failed to break 100 since high school. I couldn’t pinpoint what was going wrong that day. 2 way miss, not just with the driver but with the irons also. 6 3 putts. Bad short game. Just everything was bad and I couldn’t find it that day.
Yeah, that's the kind of round I'm asking about. No rhyme or reason... everything just feels off.

For my last round, I realized off the first tee that something was off. For most of the front 9, I patiently tried to ease back into it by slowing everything down or dropping another ball and hitting the same shot again. I'd start to see signs of getting back to normal but then the bottom would drop out again.

I’ve been actively working on ‘staying in the round’. What I mean by that is not getting out of my routine’s when things start going bad

Throughout this season, I've had plenty of rounds that started off poorly before my version of better golf would return at some point. If I remained patient and simply accepted a poor shot or a poor hole, I'd salvage a decent round.

A big part of that has been reminding myself - whether playing well or poorly - one shot at a time, one hole at a time, one round at a time. I believe that's helped with focusing on the present instead of letting negativity or delusions of grandeur start to dominate my thoughts.

My bad rounds are usually due to not getting off the tee worth a dang that day. And then I try to force things and hit high-risk shots instead of playing it safe and just getting the ball back in play. Inevitably, I will hit a second bad shot and turn a bogey into a double or a triple. I'm a lefty, so maybe it's just in my blood to play like Phil, except he pulls it off way more often. Far too often I fail to break 80 because I try to hit hero shots and get into worse trouble than where I ended up off the tee. You would think I'd learn from it, but nope, not so much. :ROFLMAO:

"Severe degeration" in spine as described in MRI report. I have lost 40 yards in 10 years. A full turn is but a fond memory. But the real bad rounds can be traced directly to the barometer. Particularly a dropping barometer makes for great fishing, but terrible pain. Get a high sitting overhead for a week and I can still go low from the "mens" tees. Get a low passing through and it is all I can do sometimes to just grind it out and not quit, while scraping it along playing for bogies....
Today is a bad day. My back chased me out of bed an hour ago. I am still going to play my league this afternoon. Don't let the BS win.

Changed my vote to just one of those days. Yesterday started both nines with a snowman. First one, par five with four on and four putt. Second one perfect drive with ninety yards in and took six to get on and two putts, chunk chunk chunk. Did play the rest of the round pretty good and broke ninety which is about where I should be.

Yeah, that's the kind of round I'm asking about. No rhyme or reason... everything just feels off.

For my last round, I realized off the first tee that something was off. For most of the front 9, I patiently tried to ease back into it by slowing everything down or dropping another ball and hitting the same shot again. I'd start to see signs of getting back to normal but then the bottom would drop out again.

Throughout this season, I've had plenty of rounds that started off poorly before my version of better golf would return at some point. If I remained patient and simply accepted a poor shot or a poor hole, I'd salvage a decent round.

A big part of that has been reminding myself - whether playing well or poorly - one shot at a time, one hole at a time, one round at a time. I believe that's helped with focusing on the present instead of letting negativity or delusions of grandeur start to dominate my thoughts.
One thing that helps me is that I accept before the round that there's going to be a bad hole or two so it usually doesn't bother the whole round. That doesn't mean that I like them but can't change them so continue on.

Just one of those days, I have had no real misses the past couple rounds and that's been a huge boon to my scores.

A solid base of incompetence covered up with flashes of brilliance...

I feel like 90% of my blowout rounds start with one mental mistake that just keeps compounding as I go. I had gotten better at it lately, but from time to time I still let one mistake ruin more than just one hole.

Back