What Are You Working On?

What are some drills or thought processes to keep the torso flat when bent over the ball and through the swing? I feel that I am raising up and missing the ball entirely sometimes. You know being bent over the ball, knees slightly bent, and all that. Think if the spine as a pivot line, and you swing around that pivot line. I already have an instructor, and I didn't do it that much during my lesson. But it does present itself when hitting balls into the net in the backyard. I did this a few times when trying out a 5 hybrid yesterday at a local golf shop.

What are some drills or thought processes to keep the torso flat when bent over the ball and through the swing? I feel that I am raising up and missing the ball entirely sometimes. You know being bent over the ball, knees slightly bent, and all that. Think if the spine as a pivot line, and you swing around that pivot line. I already have an instructor, and I didn't do it that much during my lesson. But it does present itself when hitting balls into the net in the backyard. I did this a few times when trying out a 5 hybrid yesterday at a local golf shop.
I kind of understand what you are getting at, so I will try and describe what happens in my swing. During the first half of the backswing the spine retains its natural curves as it twists upwards. As the twist continues the spine tends to flatten as the upper curve flatten and twists the left shoulder downwards towards the ball. The transition is powered by the pelvic muscles and glutes which twists the left shoulder back to the right and flattens the extended spine with the tail bone now facing away from the target with the left hip tilted down to the left and the right hip tilted downwards to the front, which arches the lower spine and pulls the the right lat muscle down towards the tailbone pulling the right shoulder down towards the glutes. The legs power the rest of the rotation to the finish.

Last edited:
Feel, results, and repetition.
I practice in my back yard and feel where the club head goes. I watch the foam practice ball travel across the yard.
A couple short practice sessions every day when the weather allows. Helps to be retired. :)

I'm working on getting more distance with my driver.
I seem to have enough flexibility, even at 60, to use a long back swing for a swing that starts slow but gets speed over a long acceleration.
The longer time helps me hit the ball with the exact center of the club. I use a big Martini Tee to help the ball stay put when it is windy.
I can bend over and touch the floor with my knuckles.

Two thoughts I’ve found helpful: swinging in a barrel and maintaining head height until beyond impact.

Centering Contact
Getting through the ball.
Generating a bit more power
Got the right equipment now.
If anyone as the best video for a pool noodle drill to help swing path, feel free to let me know. :ROFLMAO:

Weight transfer. Lately practice swings are awesome, put a ball down and I get a tendency to fall back on my trail foot a bit much

Weight transfer. Lately practice swings are awesome, put a ball down and I get a tendency to fall back on my trail foot a bit much
Oh man, you too? My instructor said I was doing the same thing. My fat body just doesn't want to turn that way and that much. Even by placing 55-60% of my weight on my front foot from the beginning, I still tend to fall back on that trail foot.

Two thoughts I’ve found helpful: swinging in a barrel and maintaining head height until beyond impact.
Yeah, I need a contraption constructed to where it makes my head stay at correct height and to swing around my spine and not lift up.

Getting to a better position at the top
Maintaining balance
Not dropping my height so much in the downswing

Packing the clubs up to send back home via ship sticks.That was a workout getting it in their boxes they provided

Everything right now..

Well Since I have been back into golf. I was not great back last year and this year seems to need some help also. My last outing I kept score and it was terrible. More range time, more time in the yard is needed.

My swing needs help with the irons and lots of help. at the end of last year I was starting to get rhythm even if my path and swing were not perfect. This year has been rough so far and I am watching some more training videos to see what I am doing wrong which is everything so to speak since my backswing is t high, my weight distribution, and I am coming over instead under. So That is causing me all type of hits.

Weight
Swing path
getting my body to do what I want when I need it to.

Arms are playing too big of a role, and I'm trying to bring everything together again for power.

I think it's really paying off.
It’s all bout the guns.. lol

Spent some time at the range trying to figure some things out. I think I am getting there…

I've thought about that a lot. My core used to be MUCH more powerful with hockey.

Surely they can't be related lmao
If I remember correctly. You are kind of anti gym right?

Not at all - Just highly effective with excuses.
Go to the gym. Grab the battle ropes and hit hit the ground as hard as you can till you pass out..

This.. as hard down to the ground so the slap. As many times as you can.. from a friend..

Go to the gym. Grab the battle ropes and hit hit the ground as hard as you can till you pass out..

This.. as hard down to the ground so the slap. As many times as you can.. from a friend..

Okay but, what if i just stayed home and thought about going instead?

Back