What Are You Working On?

Still working on making my swing changes from my swing eval routine. Theres 3 parts to focus on. The first is bringing my hands more inside of the takeaway, thus ultimately forces the second part which is rotating my hips more. The final, and most critical, is keeping the clubhead outside. I tend to get lazy on the downswing which creates a pull draw. Keeping the clubhead outside gives me a nice high draw and an extra 10-15 yards

Always felt like this would be a great drill.Cool to see a top instructor explain it so easily

Just working on tempo. Taking 1 breath before I take the club back. It’s working. Had probably my best ball striking round of the year yesterday

Time off always leads to the same things for me, flat/inside takeaway which gets me stuck and necessitates an early extension and fall back.

So, here we are, again after a layoff, remembering what a nice one piece on plane takeaway feels like and how it provides ALLLLLLLL the room for the downswing.

Went to the range yesterday prepping for my first golf rounds this year in Tucson.I still can’t grasp how I can hit the ball good thinking hands do nothing.And my body hits the ball.It really works and is so consistent.I did lose some distance.But the center hits and accuracy are well appreciated. Passive hands , active body is what I should’ve said

Last edited:
Had a lesson on fri, Now I am working on my takeaway and face control and removing the hands from the swing.
It was a struggle but it is getting easier.

Had a drying out period after putting away the clubs for 3 months Went to the simulator and trying to have positive AoA with my clubs Drawing my irons by lifting my left heel up in the BS and hitting to right field.
Fading my driver by lifting my whole left leg and hitting my target in the sky
Positive AoA with irons? I'm curious why you are looking for that?

Toptracer range session today with my son. Started with a bucket of 100 to share. Last few weeks have seen me hit 3-4 very gentle wedges every 10-15 of his shots as I let me knee recover from the injury on the 31st December. Today after some promising improvement this week looked to hit 50:50 - went straight to 7-iron at about 80% speed focussing on shallowing out the club, and keeping my trailing elbow tucked in on my hip to aid that (been watching lots of videos on YouTube and a Danny Maude snippet on Twitter/X this morning) - and then looking to clear my hips and get the club-face straightened up.

I'm down on carry and ball speed as you'd expect but shots were straight or baby draw. So happy with that.

Progressed to 3-wood, again 75-80%, keeping that elbow tucked in - a few leaked right but definitely straighter overall. With no ill effects went and got the driver out - first hits for 5 weeks on that - got 5 off and ran out of balls so went and got another 50 to share between us !

Set some aside for a closest to the pin comp at the very end and concentrated on the driver and getting that swing path in-to-out. Had about 20 hits and got my ball speed up to 150 (pre-injury about 160-163) with no ill effects. Definite improvement on a big fade right after coming over the top but more work to do - looking forward to next week when I can continue to work on it as well as building up speed again.

Will probably book a trackman session at my local club in a fortnight so I can see some club head speed, swing path and spin information - Toptracer great for ball speed, flight and carry but would love some additional data to see how I'm getting on.

Positive AoA with irons? I'm curious why you are looking for that?
I dont know if its really pos AoA but it defintely feels like I am swinging up
I been getting more distance with my irons feeling like hitting the ball out and up to right field, the ball does go right then draws back
Previously I was swinging down and in with my irons and didnt feel max compressed the ball, resulting in weak high pitch like flight ending upshort and left of flag

Perhaps I should try it in a real simulator to see if it is truly pos AoA

Last edited:
Practicing my putting. Notice that when my putting is on it resembles how I approach shooting hoops. When I am making hoops I can imagine the ball swishing through the net and tend to make sure the last look at the strings.
In putting cannot do exactly the same cause I can’t see the bottom of the cup
I look for a spot 1-2 feet pass the cup to roll the ball towards. And just let the cup do it thing and let the ball drop.

I am working on my takeaway and face control and removing the hands from the swing. It was a struggle but it is getting easier.

Time well spent!

Proper rotation in the back swing and not releasing too early in the down swing.

I am working on coming more from the inside. During my fitting I found out I come over the top a lot and actually hit down on my drives. So I am working on coming from the inside and swinging up!

My lesson on Monday we focused on where I was hitting the ball on the club face. Im hitting the ball closer to the heel. We got where I was hitting really good strikes out of the center and it was by trying to hit it off the toe.

Another weekend of work on the driver, and my swing path with it - a continuation of last week and following my coaches guidance - shallowing out the club and trying to hit the ball out to the right forcing a more in to out path.

Slowed my backswing right down again as it became apparent that I had sped up my tempo after my lay-off which has massively helped with the control as I transition.

Everything now going left straight, or starting left and fading back to middle. More work to do but have that trackman session booked in for Thursday to see some path/head data.

Driver backswing working on not sucking it inside, keep head even with hands and face staying a bit closed like do with my irons. Keeping right elbow from flying at top sending club over the line, then working on extension post impact with toe of club up!

I am working on some basics from this video. Not saying this video is the gospel, but I am a fan of the ways parts are broken down. And this beginner surely needs that.

Well, finally got the net back up and new clubs in the bag. Hit about 80-100 balls in the net in the backyard. Well, one almost escaped to the right outside edge. I was all over the place. Topped shots, a few bad, bad fat shots, imagine hitting a cowpie, yeah that. I hit a few good solid ones too. I have a lesson in about a month. Should I continue practicing? At least making contact? Or practice small stuff because the instructor wants a semi blank canvas? Thanks.
IMG_1331.jpg

Last edited:
Internal rotation of my arms. Allows my arms to swing out from my body
I tend to keep my elbows tucked too close to my body

Tonight's lesson was working on getting my hands higher and not as deep in my backswing (old left, new right). Really liking that right side position, give me some room to drop the club and shallow it instead of having it so tight to my chest that my initial rotation can't help but pull me slightly over the top:

1708649560482.png

Posted this in another thread but

Ive been working on getting my hips aligned better at address and trying to feel more comfortable starting with my weight distribution 60-40 on the back foot, and more waist bend, i played most my life weight 90% lead foot shoulders open hips open very upright. The hardest thing is these shifts change how the weight of the club shafts handle feels during the takeaway and it affects how much and when and where my body has to move because my body had figured out a way to hit from the sh***y address position and made it comfortable ah anyway the point of this rant was these changes shifted my head more away from target from the ball at address which makes the face look very shut n it took 6 months to get used to it

Not setting up open. I'm not pullng it, I'm swinging down the line my open stance creates......

I’m working on a steady slower backswing. My fall back habit seems to be getting too snappy/quick.

Small weight shift to lead foot to ignite backswing.
I tend to freeze over the ball. I need a way to start the swing dynamically, athletically

My arms. Internal rotation of my arms puts my arms in a “strong position” not exactly same concept as strong grip. But I can keep my forearms strong hold If I keep my hips open, I can fade the ball
If I neutralize my forearms but still try to keep strong upper arms position can produce a straightish slight draw
If I weaken my arms by external rotation at the shoulders creates more touch useful for certain strokes like downhill putts/short chips

Back