What Are You Working On?

Distance off the tee and putting.

Things in between are going good. Distance off the tee is consistently robbing me of birdie and par opportunities. Currently I’m topping out at 230-240 with driver and that’s just not good enough for where I want to be.

Putting isn’t awful but I still have a couple 3 putts per round and they are super deflating. I need to dial in at 5-10 foot. Most in that range are very get able I just don’t have the stroke to make it happen.

Soon to be work with the Driver…unless I just go 3w & add another wedge or 5w to the bag.

Focusing on getting some solid driver strikes and more consistent iron strokes.

High and wide takeaway for me. I was getting inside too deep in my backswing making it hard to have consistent contact, leading to a high right miss. Between the reps and the tune-up lesson I don't think I had a single miss like that this morning. Still need to dial in the timing a bit to get the clubface square but that will come.

Working on so many things…

1. Maximizing my swing path. I want to control my ball flight and avoid the left to right (lefty).
2. Short game. I’ve been using my 52° wedge a whole lot more around the green. “Just get it on the green”
3. Putting. The omnipresent necessity on every course. I’ve seen my biggest gains after working hard on putting.

Since my swing trigger lesson and slowing everything down, I had a call with instructor about what to work on next before our next meeting. He sent me some info.

1. At setup, with an iron in hand, I want you to work on just the first half of your take away. Try to go a bit more straight rather than inside. Feel like you are going back to shake hands with someone sitting in a chair behind you.

Do this a few times a day for the next few days before our meeting. No swings, just first half of the take away and start with it in slow motion before making it a full takeaway.

My biggest problems right now are short iron accuracy and short game consistency with the wedges. In particularly, fluffy thick rough pitches gave me fits my last round. What I plan to do is just head out to the short game area, drop a bunch of balls and work on contact and accelerating through the ball. For my short game, it all comes back to clean, ball-first contact - when that's going well, I'm having a pretty good day.

Woof, what aren't I working on?
Have a lesson tonight to get a set of eyes on my swing to hopefully get back to actually hitting a ball cleanly.

I'm working on my balance and staying over my feet. Since the double knee replacements this last winter, my balance and staying over my feet and the ball has been an issue.
I have been almost backing out of every shot and that has cost me almost 25% in distance with the driver and maybe 10% with the irons.

Working on consistency of strike and not getting "handsy" in the downswing

1. Swing fundamentals. I am working on setup/alignment and minimizing my early release tendency.

2. Wedges. Dialing in same tempo 9 o'clock distances with each wedge. I want to keep wedges simple and repeatable. I tend to get creative, which results in creative outcomes. :rolleyes:

2. Putting. Stroking through the ball on my line and improving lag distance control.

Distance off the tee and putting.

Things in between are going good. Distance off the tee is consistently robbing me of birdie and par opportunities. Currently I’m topping out at 230-240 with driver and that’s just not good enough for where I want to be.

Putting isn’t awful but I still have a couple 3 putts per round and they are super deflating. I need to dial in at 5-10 foot. Most in that range are very get able I just don’t have the stroke to make it happen.
Yup, that 5-10 feet is something I can improve on. Anything beyond that is such a low %% its almost not worth spending time on.

More vertical on the takeway, then getting the arms to drop and the lower half to lead the down swing. Doing a little bit of a squat move to initiate the downswing is kind of helping with both of the downswing goals. Next week could be something completely different.

Currently I’m topping out at 230-240 with driver and that’s just not good enough for where I want to be.

Those are my very best pops with most in the 220ish range, the latter being considered fairly long for my age, actually.
I play a 115 year old course built in the hickory shaft era, however.

Consequently, if I don't make pars or birdies, my driving length isn't usually the problem.
Mostly, I have to work on staying fit enough to play over the winter. It's at that level now.

Currently focusing on the move from the top and ball striking

My chipping and pitching. The rest of my game fell into place now I need to maintain that.

Just polishing a few little short game shots up before this weekend.

I have spent the better part of the last few days continuing to work on the initial takeaway. It is starting to get ingrained, but with travel coming up, not sure when I will hit the course again.

Trying to figure out why I can make every putt on the carpet in the house, but then I can't make squat once on the course? Plus I end up blowing putts by the hole by 4 feet. Guess my carpet is running about a 5 on the stimp meter while the greens are more like 10 :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Driver. Need to find some consistency with the driver.

Trying to figure out why I can make every putt on the carpet in the house, but then I can't make squat once on the course? Plus I end up blowing putts by the hole by 4 feet. Guess my carpet is running about a 5 on the stimp meter while the greens are more like 10 :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
Found a cheapo gravity return putting mat/cup which I've been using for the past two years. It's replaced the carpet and has really helped from the 6-8 foot range. I still have to realize the pro's are at 55% at 6 feet. lol

Work on staying in posture throughout the swing with rotation vs sliding.

Getting comfortable with a go to shot off the tee with the driver!

Back