What’s The Worst Weather You Have Played In?

Wettest? The first day of the Graphite Challenge in 2019. It had stormed all morning but caught a bit of break around lunch. It was a trap. Bottom fell out while we were on the course.

The worst probably was playing in heat indexes north of 110.

At a charity scramble and it was 50 degrees and pouring down rain. Finally got called after 25 minutes of the sky just opening up on us. The greens were all puddles and could not even putt. I was having fun but most weren't because they did not have any rain gear. Felt bad for them but there were heaters where we congregated that helped out with all that got soaked.
I don't mind Rain on a hot day, Cold and Rain it just chills you to the bone.

I played a round at "Le Diable" in October which is a mountain course north of Montreal. In the course of the round we got rain, hail, snow (i know we're not counting snow but it's among other things) and the whole time is was 3-4C around temp wise and probably blowing 30-40km

It was pretty miserable.

Played 13 holes in Myrtle Beach at the World Am in 2011 as Hurricane Irene was making it's way up the coast. It was the final round and Myrtle really wasn't in the path so they decided to have everyone play. It made landfall in NC so we didn't get the worst of it but got some of the outer tropical storm winds and rain. I will never forget marking my ball with a silver dollar on a green where the water was running so fast it kept washing it away down the green like it was a feather from it raining so hard. The winds were blowing like I've never seen and they finally blew the horn and brought us in after playing in the worst of it for 2 or 3 holes. We then waited in the clubhouse for a couple hours before finally cancelling the round and letting us leave. My entire bag was full of water when I took it off the cart and I wasn't the only one dumping them out in the parking lot. It was crazy that we were even out there thinking about now Lol.

Wells NV back in the 1990s. Way below freezing, with high winds, causing sideways freezing rain.

It was a Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, family get together. We got all 18 holes in. (2 X 9).

The owner was closing up for the winter, and heading to Yuma, AZ the next day.

Now just normal bad weather would be in Laughlin, NV. Early 2000s, during July.

A thunder boomie with heavy rains showed up. We parked the cart under a tree, and used two large umbrellas to keep the rain out.

A course employee made rounds during the storm, and made us go to the 19th.

A pleasant surprise was Ray Ramono was there also. He proceeded to buy drinks for everyone, and mingle with us all.

We had to wait two hours, for the casual water in the fairways to disappear. All the bunkers were flooded, and deemed under repair. They also told us to oick up once on the green since they were so soft.

Probably saw 5-6 snakes (rattlers & bull snakes) on our return.

There was a topical storm landing and we were only getting the edge of it but @mikeg_74 and @Jmk202 and I had tee times at Memorial after the rework. So come wind or high water we were getting out! That was probably the worst

Approx. 35 degrees, sunny, with a 20-30mph wind.........middle of November, closing day of the course.
Started with 8 of us, 5 quit at the turn, finished the round with 3 of us.........and the grounds crew picking up everything behind us as we finished the holes.

Worst on either extreme:

Played last year in the run up to the Data Experience on a Saturday morning where it was around 40 with 15 mph winds, Tee boxes were frozen and had to use my divot tool to get a tee in the ground.

Heat - went out in about 100* heat one afternoon a bunch of years ago to get in 9 holes, took my golf cart and walked until i got about as far from the clubhouse as you could and a big thunderstorm started rolling through with 30mph wind gusts and heavy rains which led to the course blowing the horn to come in luckily a group behind me let me jump on the back of their golf cart to ride in it started hailing right as we got in sight of the clubhouse.

Olympic Peninsula, hi 30's, rain/sleet and 30-40mph winds
Branches of 60-70ft tall cedar trees were snapping of on the right of the fairway on one hole and sailing through the air, landing on the other side of the fairway or further.
They came and pulled us off the course a couple of holes later.
I've played a lot in 105-110 heat here in Tucson

34° and raining. It was during a high school golf match. Absolutely miserable.

It's about to be today. I just unboxed a new set of irons, but we're getting a thunderstorm right now. I suppose I'll probably wait for better weather, but it's still tempting. 🤣

Played in low 40s with a steady 10-15mph wind which was pretty miserable.

Also got stuck out in a tiny wood shed on the course during a pretty wicked thunderstorm

Played in 35* and a light rain and I have also played when it was 118* out when we finished. I will take the cold over that type of heat every time.

My son and I wanted to play a local course that reopened. Got there knew it would be in the high 50s so not worried. Out of no where torrential down pour, temp dropped like 10 degrees, and on top of it the course was in awful shape. Got a raincheck and never used it.

When i lived in Central Virgina, Mens group played every Saturday and Sunday. I showed up and there were only 3, it was cold, we had cart covers and heaters and it was over cast, 2 of us started off and by the time we got to #4 we had small flakes, by 6 it was Blowing hard and large flakes and covering the ground, "lets finish 9", We hit our lay ups on 7 down the hill, then approaches over the lake, we drove around the lake to the green and it was so thick we could not see the green surface, much less the balls. We kept driving cause its all up hill to the clubhouse. After we threw the clubs in the cars, tucked out cart in the barn, Pro met us at the door with coffee...we ended up getting at least a foot.....2 saturdays later, 1st day they were open for play after the snow and cold, I came in, Pro handed me my ball from 7 green.

30's, wind and rain. Miserable

I think for me it was the event with Cobra Puma Golf in Chicago several years ago. I think it rained the entire time we were there from Friday arrival to Sunday arrival back home. As Forrest Gump would say we had driving rain, rain that came in sideways and rain that even seemed to come from below. Still the overall event was great and took away from the forces of nature that were brought.

I played in a state amateur event about 10 years ago that was around 40* and light rain with 20 mph winds when we teed off. By the turn it was raining hard enough that they were squeegeing the greens between groups and the wind had picked up. About 10 minutes after we finished the round they cancelled play. It was a day I would never have played except for the event.

Have played numerous times in 30's/40's weather with rain and wind. Most of them with @ArmyGolf and a few with @checkered as well. We're a bit wrong in the head.

Two that stand out. 1st was in a local "Am Tour" type of event at one of my local courses I knew well. Usually about 36-48 people would show up for any one event. I guess I was about a 10 at that time. Everyone arrives and the course is playable with some casual water. Temps in the mid 60's, so not too bad. It is also blowing about 10-15mph and a steady rain. Not a dumping kind of rain, just that annoying constant heavy drizzle with mist. Of course, I wear glasses, so I couldn't see a damn thing within 10 seconds of wiping them off. This time, only 20 showed up due to conditions. I was in the last group, so I waited in the bar and had a couple of beers while everyone else was going out. Striped one down the middle and we were off. Played steady- Even then I had about 8 pairs of gloves in my bag (two glove guy), so I was constantly switching out and hanging them up under the cart roof to keep them 'dry' (no rain gloves). As we're going around, we could see that a few carts were heading back and they were dropping out. Couldn't take it, I guess. After 9 holes at least 8 people were done. Down to three groups. A few holes later one of the guys in our 4 decides, he's done and that entices another to join him. So we're left with a two. We finish up, and we post our scores to see that there were only 6 previous posted scores. I banged out an 81 gross(71 net) and walked away by at least 12. As it happens, I was leaving for Ireland 2 weeks later and planning to play Royal County Down after a family wedding.

And therein is the 2nd. Played Royal County Down after a wedding the night before in the Slieve Donard Hotel next door and, shall we say, over indulging in a bit o' the "Ebony Nectar"...

Let's call it the most diverse conditions I've ever experienced. At tee off, conditions were benign- Low 60's, puffy white clouds and a gentle breeze blowing off shore. By the 3rd hole, wind switched to a near gale off the water. Soon after, the wind died, temp dropped to the upper 40' and it clouded over. a few holes later, sun came back out, no breeze, temps stayed in the 40's. Playing the ninth, it started to drizzle from one lone black cloud surrounded by blue sky. Got to the green and it bucketed from that same cloud. Rain stopped, but as we walked to the 10th tee, it began to hail and the wind picked up to a near gale again. by the 11th tee, sun was back out, wind switched 180 degrees... again, and the temp went back up to the 60's again. It went on like that for the rest of the round. Rain suit on, rain suit off, rain jacket on, rain pants off, rain pants on, rain jacket off. The last two holes were miserable- all the bad stuff decided to all come at once- gale force winds, low temps, rain AND hail... Decided it would be good idea to warm up and dry off in the Guest Bar with a nice Whiskey overlooking the 18th. And of course, as soon as I sat down, the weather went ideal- blue skies, calm winds just as the sun started to go down and get that perfect 'Golden Hour' lighting.

Eliminating ice and snow? Then all you are left with is good weather!!!

Being caught in the middle of a thunderstorm, soaked head to toe, winds whipping up all sorts of dirt and debris and it just clung to us.

I don't know if I have ever been dirtier or more tired after a round than that. The rain just absolutely beat the hell out of us the entire day.

The triple threat of cold, wind, and rain; 35 degrees, 40 mph winds, and the rain began to fall. I stuck it out, but it made me aware of what rain gear worked and what needed attention.

I think the wind is the worst part. Wind is what truly dictates what clothing is comfortable.

Galveston Muni in December one year, freak cold front blew in the night before, temp was right at freezing 32* with 20-25mph gusty winds.
The day before, it was normal Galveston weather for December, high around 63*, low in the 50s.
I walked and carried my bag & got thru it, remember becoming numb to the conditions after about 4 holes.
That was the 1st time I played that course, a couple years later it sold & they totally re-routed the first 5/6 holes so I'm glad I got to play the original design.

We were in a tourney in myrtle Beach and we knew rain was coming but had no clue how heavy it was going to be. Hard heavy rain and it seemed most pulled over hoping it would pass by. Just then one of the tourney operators came by and said all have to play. We happen to be on a par 3 and you could barely see the green.

So we all head up, drenched, and hit 4 horrible shots. We finish the whole, best score was a bogey, and the rain slowed some but was still pretty bad. We finished 1 more hole and then rain was almost done. The round ends and we find out that only 2 groups kept playing and the rest went in....we were not happy.

Cold - Low 40's with 25-30 mph winds, absolutely miserable.

Rain - Playing in a thunderstorm in Primm, NV - we were soaked and the thunder/lightning was basically right overhead, closest I've ever been to lighting while playing, and it was...uncomfortable.

Heat - 119°F when we teed off in Parker, AZ, and it just got hotter from there. The course is built into rocky canyons, the rocks were heat-soaked from the summer sun, it was like playing in an oven. I was borderline blacking out every time I bent down to put a tee in the ground or pick a ball out of the hole.

Back