What’s The Worst Weather You Have Played In?

I’d take that weather in a heart beat to have a course like that to myself LOL.
It was pretty fun to not see anyone else all day

Microburst tornado probably 15-20 years ago. We took shelter and finished and when we left the course we had downed trees blocking roads all over town. Knew a storm came through but didn't realize it was that bad in the moment.

A few years ago we played with really strong wind gusts for this area. Speeds in the 30's. On the 9th hole we were on the fairway waiting for the group ahead of us to finish the green. A huge branch from a big eucalyptus tree came crashing down about 30 yards from us. Hit with a thud so hard we felt the ground shake. At that point we questioned whether or not it was safe to keep playing. The trees at the course are very mature. And very big.

Low 30s with frozen ground, freezing rain, and wind was bad but not the worst. I think that honor goes to the 106+ heat index day. I think they underestimated. It was forecast to be 95ish with high humidity and almost no wind. I drank my body weight in water and that still wasn't good enough. It was worse than getting into my car on a hot mid summer AZ afternoon.

Sideways rain in the remnants of a hurricane with 30 mph steady and gusts to 50 mph. Was in Ireland and you play no matter what

Last weekend ranks right up there, 44*, wind and heavy steady rain from the drive to the course, nine holes and the drive home. Nothing was dry when I got home. My headcovers took 3 days to dry out totally.

I've had several extremes in my "career." Low 30's with a slight breeze, 110° in Phoenix, and winds so strong that my stand bag couldn't stand. It certainly builds character because when I'm playing in a match with a fair weather golfer, I'm at a massive advantage because they're struggling with dealing with a sprinkle.

I played 36 in Orlando years back and it was over 110 with the heat index. The pro shop begged me not to go out for the second round, but I had the course to myself.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area so bad weather wasn’t really a thing. In the east bay the worst was it would get to 101° or 102° peak afternoon summer.

Living in Las Vegas there was a lot more suffering. Summers regularly playing in +110°. Lots of wind. I know wolf creek is a bucket list course for a lot of people but I wasn’t impressed. The only time I played it was early spring and it was around 40° and 50 mph wind gusts and I was absolutely miserable the whole time.

52 deg, drizzle and wind. I had to quit the round because I wore glasses and couldn't see.

Tie between when I played Royal County Down and by the 7th hole there were rooster tails on all putts. We had to pack it in. Then played after the earthquake in Japan in 2011 at Bandon. Tsunami warnings. That day was fine but a couple of days in we had wind and rain that we brutal. Knocked over stand bags in middle of fairway

Played Bethpage Black when it was super hot and humid. It was the same year they postponed the US tennis open due to heat. I had snot dripping down my nose and the chills despite all the fluids i drank. Gutted it out to finish below 90. Bethpage is a walking only course. People were getting carted in by maintenance. Someone supposedly died the day before. GerryWithAG was with me

Playing in a scramble approx 12 to 14 years ago… in November. It was already cold-ish… maybe in the high 40*s… and then came the slow drizzle. Not enough to cause people to bail out… but, just enough to slowly get you and everything wet… and make that cold-ish temperature feel even colder! The last few holes were miserable. Hope to never be in that position again… because if I were I might have to drop out.

I was 19 years old … playing at Firestone Country Club. Storms rolled in, then it got real quiet. Everyone was heading in from the course as quickly as possible. Sky turned greenish-gray. As we got back to the golf shop/cart staging area, we saw a funnel cloud touch down on 9 fairway, uprooting trees and demolishing the ground along the entire length of the fairway adjacent to the lake. Absolutely terrifying as we all watched in awe, the power of Mother Nature.

Worst weather, hands down was this past January. 3 rounds, three days at Bandon. The first two days was non-stop pounding rain. Day one the rain was accompanied by steady 30 mph wind with gusts up to 40-50 mph. Day two the wind gave us a break for the most part but the rain didn’t. Thought I was prepared with rain gear. I wasn’t. By the end of both of the first two rounds I had water literally flowing out from my neck through the bottom of my pants right into my shoes. Never wanted to not golf so much in my life. Our group gutted it out though. At the end of all of it there was a weird feeling of having earned a badge of honor. The shower and putting on dry clothes and shoes post round literally rivaled some of the best things I’ve experienced in my life.

Back