Wet dormant Bermuda how to play it

Doubleb21

2022 Grandaddy Team 5150 member 2020 AZTHP Champ
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok this just kills me lol. As you can see below I had my 3rd shot up to a par 5. A small pitch shot that I needed to get in the air off of the wet ground. Every single time these shots are short. Today I went into the bunker. I stopped using my 58 went to the set 52 with the wider sole thinking that would help. If it was a bump and run I’d go A wedge. Small green side chips in these lies gets me also. So what do you do I need suggestions!
IMG_4505.jpegIMG_4506.jpeg

I tend to go GA or PW and 1/2 or 3/4 swing. Left the loft help me and know the extra club will help with distance versus trying to get to precise with a 54 or something like that and end up in short

Looking at the little green grass buds, the divot looks behind where the ball was.

You want ball first contact.

Engage the bounce. 🔥🔥🔥

I agree with @Nice 2 . Ball first contact is critical, which does not appear to have occurred.

Looking at the little green grass buds, the divot looks behind where the ball was.

You want ball first contact.

I agree with @Nice 2 . Ball first contact is critical, which does not appear to have occurred.

Have to precise on that lie. I need to find an area and practice this a lot!

Bit further back in stance. Little steeper than normal to make sure I catch ball first.
I like back a bit, and making sure I get through the ball. Thinking longer and forward low point. Keep moving through it.

Last edited:
I opened it up a bit thinking that was the key.
Depends on the beginning bounce too. You turn it wide open, you’ll have a lot of bounce yeah, but now you gotta have the speed to still get it there. Now you’re guessing how hard to hit it, how is it gonna grab at impact etc… it’s not ideal lol.

A shot like that, I’m usually using a high bounce wedge and almost feel like I’m trying to bury the clubhead into the ground after impact. It’s a feel that doesn’t actually make a whole lot of sense, but it’s what keeps me accelerating and aggressive with the shot even post impact.

That’s only part of the equation, if that’s the type of bounce you’re going to use then you have to commit to using it, and control the low point.

Mind your set-up. And what I more specifically mean by that is, if there's any apprehension that might be involved with a particular shot such as this one, many of us, through subconscious urge, tend to get closer to the ball. Not with the feet. With either too much leg bend, too much torso lean, or both.

With those shots, I'll use the bounce and play the ball slightly back of usual. But, paramount for me, I'll make sure that I feel tall at address (relative to the shorter club) and certain of the low point of my swing through a couple of practice swings. I'm usually a no practice swing player, but I will take a quick couple of 'em there just to reinforce confidence.

Foot wedge or don't hit it there

My ideal lie for any shot. Absolutely no variables of spin or launch because there is no grass to get between the clubface and ball so it is extremely predictable. Low bounce lob wedge opened up a tad, thump the ground 1/2" behind the ball and let the bounce slide the leading edge under the ball. Bounce is your friend, use it, you wont dig.
Or a mid/high bounce wedge square faced but shallow it, hit the bounce into the ground and let the club slide under the ball. Getting vertical and trying to pick it is a recipe for disaster.
Most people have no clue how to use bounce properly. Let it slide along the ground............

Engaging the bounce is something I'm working on. I can engage it consistently, but don't know how far the ball will travel. I can hit exactly the same shot a couple times in a row. Something for practice rounds but not when I'm playing for score. I've only played three short New England seasons so I still have a lot to learn!
The 58/8Z seems to be my best club for muddy soil. A 56/8Z might be better for my swing but they don't make one of those. I recently got a 54/10S but the snow has arrived.

If I'm playing for score I can pull my low bounce 58/6 TS and make that shot. As well as any other shot I play.
I learned to play with a couple clubs so I'm quite good at eyeballing distances and can play just as well when the GPS isn't working that day.

Last edited:
I carry a 36* 8H just for bump and runs. Golf is all about consistency so the 8H is my "go to" club for that.

I carry a 36* 8H just for bump and runs. Golf is all about consistency so the 8H is my "go to" club for that.

I saw Brooke Henderson hit one yesterday and was like:
Joining Welcome Home GIF

🤣

Perhaps not that particular shot, but bump and runs with a hybrid are underrated.
Have done that before for sure. It the need to take it in the air shot giving me grief.

Like others have said bounce is your friend. In the past I’ve been one to try and nip it clean. Results were never consistent. I’m fortunate to now have a place to practice short game. Use bounce commit to it and don’t decel

I play it just like I would if it were dry, but I get muddy. I’m fairly steep so I’m trying to get ball first, hands in front of the club head.

Tight lies on dormant Bermuda in the winter with wet/soft conditions equal lots of chunks and duffs. We are dealing with that at our course now. Handicaps usually go up in the winter months because of it. In our Men’s group I’ve been seeing a lot of chippers being put into play, people using hybrids or fairway woods to putt/chip from off the greens, and people putting instead of chipping from the green surrounds.

Can be frustrating.

That adds so many other things though. I view that as a last resort from that distance and probably shouldn't be necessary if you carry the right wedge for you.

Back