Wedge Setup and Why?

This one is not about brands really, but in recent surveying, we noticed something. Most golfers are going with a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge. Those that carry 3 wedges anyway. However most of the newer sets are seeing PW's more strong lofted.

I have been noticing a gap between my 52* and my PW, so I am thinking of changing up to a 50*, 54*, and 58* to lessen the gap being that my PW is 46*.

What is your wedge setup and do you fill all the gaps that you need to?

crazy I too see a big diff. I hate the yardage gap i have between 120-130 yards. My PW is 45* - and i hit it with my average swing around 140 yards. My next wedge is 50* CG15 - with same swing i hit 115. so you can see a big gap. i have to really murder the 50 to get to 120- or hit a light PW - which i dont do well.

I was debating trying a 48 CG15 if they make it haah but then id have a 48, 50, 52, 56, 60 ,64..

I have all but eliminated the 64 - and i think i can drop the 52 - so maybe 48, 56, 60 for me.. i really love that 56.. and i think i could hit a lighter 48 to the 115 distance heck idk... i guess ill just stockpile these CG15's before the groove change lol

Ryan,

You should ask Andy in the ask the pro section. He cleared up a question I had about wedge gapping.

Caleb, I may do that when it comes time for me to make the change. Given what the prices for some wedges are going for, though, I may make the decision sooner than next spring, which is when I was planning on making the change.

My Setup is;

PW - 45
AW - 50
SW - 54
LW - 58

I used to use PW - AW - 56* SW but I like the new setup better !

My set up is

PW - 45
Niblick 49
Niblick 56

I've dropped the 60 for the time being as it's getting pretty cold and wet now and the 60 is a summer club for me,plus get loads of height and bite out of the Niblicks

I have:

PW - 46
AW - 50
SW - 56
LW - 60

My favorite wedge of all of those is the 56. I seem to rarely pull out the 60, but love having the high flop option.

I think I am going to buy new wedges before the year is out with DG spinners. Here is what I am thinking with the help of JB and TC.

get another set of oil quench CG15's and refill the paint.
Send the shafts off to Vibrant to get them colored pearl white and maybe a little design of my making on them.
Get a 50º, a 56º, and a 60º degree head and have the 56 bent to 55 to have even gaps.

It will be harder to find a better looking wedge set IMO.

Still happily playing my Eidolon wedges.

My PW is a 47 (Ping), the rest are Eidolon, 52, 56, 60.

I don't seem to have much in the way of yardage gap, more I need to hit straighter approaches, so I don't have to get so creative around the green (keeping the ball below branches, having to chip over bunkers & trees, etc)

Since getting the Mizzuno T Series 56° from Hanks, I've been looking quite a bit at adding another one to my bag. I see they have a 51° and I think I might go for one on the bay. Just looking for a good deal.

I love the 56° in the rough and the sand. I hit some of the best sand shots of my life with that thingk. Now I need one with a bit less loft/bounce for my style of wedge play on short grass.

the 51.08 Mizzy would be great for you man....birthday present!
Since getting the Mizzuno T Series 56° from Hanks, I've been looking quite a bit at adding another one to my bag. I see they have a 51° and I think I might go for one on the bay. Just looking for a good deal.

I love the 56° in the rough and the sand. I hit some of the best sand shots of my life with that thingk. Now I need one with a bit less loft/bounce for my style of wedge play on short grass.

I like the idea of the 51 b/c it will close the gap from my PW and I can add the 5i back into my bag.

So after going back and forth a few times, I decided on a 50° XFT. It will be a 5° from my PW and 6° from my SW.

My question is: Is it worth getting my 56° bent to 55°? Will I really see much of a difference with the 1° difference?

I think you will. Same concept as getting stronger lofts in irons, etc.
So after going back and forth a few times, I decided on a 50° XFT. It will be a 5° from my PW and 6° from my SW.

My question is: Is it worth getting my 56° bent to 55°? Will I really see much of a difference with the 1° difference?

Its different for most. I saw a pretty big difference having mine bent to 55*. Not a full club mind you, but being able to really know my gaps. Play with them for a while on the range and see if you are finding any gaps.

Yea, that's a good idea. Right now, I'm going to use the 56° as my highest lofted club for most rounds. I can add the 60° to the bag depending on the conditions, but I found myself using it too often when another club was a better choice for the situation.

I need these better for my gaps, I rarely hit all out full wedge shots, so its just better for me to control my distances. I dont need another long club, and it helps me with variety around the greens hitting different shots.

PW-47-35.50"
GW-51-35.25"
SW-56-35"
LW-60-35'

exactly my problem recently, selcting the right wedge for certain shots.
Yea, that's a good idea. Right now, I'm going to use the 56° as my highest lofted club for most rounds. I can add the 60° to the bag depending on the conditions, but I found myself using it too often when another club was a better choice for the situation.

Hence the reason only using 1 wedge for me. It works SO well if you spend a little time. Face adjustment and length of swing are the only things you ever have to worry about.
exactly my problem recently, selcting the right wedge for certain shots.

I used 2 wedges growing up and was never good at the 100-in shots. Now I have 5 and its the strongest part of my game:

47PW
52GW
56SW
60LW
64SuperLW

2 swings with each, full and punch, allow me to cover every shot from 135 to 50 yards. Sounds complicated but I'm making more birdies now than ever before and the handicap keeps dropping.

I use:

PW 47*
GW 52*
SW 56*
LW 60*

However, my PW, like all of my irons, is +1" longer. My gap between my PW and GW is now almost 25 yards, which is too much for me to consistently manage.

Is it a worthwhile mod to get my GW lengthened by .5 to 1" to help reduce that gap? I'm thinking +1" might reduce that gap to 10-15 yards which is much more manageable. Or is the only acceptable approach to reduce loft?

pw=46
uw=50
and I went from a 56 to a 54 as an additional wedge.thinking about going back to the 56 or maybe a 58 or dropping them all and going to a Titleist 704cb pitching wedge that I was trying out around the greens the other day on some bump and runs.Why..because I like keeping them out of the air within 50-75 yds and only use the higher lofts when I'm in sand around the green.

I've dropped the 49 Niblick from my bag. I've raved about this club the whole while, and still love it, but for my game personally, I dont use it as a specialty club as much anymore. It was my GW, and one of my chipping clubs, but bottom line, I'm getting more consistancy using a 52 wedge of the same brand of my other wedges. I dont have to worry about differing lengths or headweights. And my chipping/pitching is just as diverse.

P = 45 deg = 110 yards
W = 50 deg = 95 yards
S = 56 deg = 80 yards
L = 60 deg = 70 yards

The P & W match my set.
S & L are Vokey.

Last edited:
When I switched wedges last year, I went with 50/54/58 for the reasons you mentioned.

PW is 46... then I have a 52 and 58.

Last week: PW(46*), GW(49*), GW2(52*), SW(56*), LW(60*)

^Too many clubs to keep track of all the distances!!!

This week: PW(46*), PW acting as GW(50*), SW(55*)

^I'd rather re-learn to get around with those.

Back