Wedge Setup and Why?

I play 45* PW, 50* GW, 54* SW, 58* LW.

I understand that the PW and GW are wedges, strictly speaking, but I don't play them as such. My 115 club is my PW, my 100 club is my GW, and my LW is my finesse club. Pretty much anything from 60 yards in will be the lob wedge. I pretty much only use the SW out of the sand.

As for around the green, depending on the situation, I may use my LW, PW, 8 iron or even my 3 hybrid from time to time...

I play a 49 PW & a 58 SW/LW....only carry 7 clubs total + the putter...makes me more creative around the greens (in theory)

Probably a helluva lot less confusing than my bag for someone just starting out!

just realizing that my new irons set finishes the PW at 44 deg. With the my GW(52), SW(56), LW(60), that leaves an 8 degree gap between my GW and PW. Crap. We'll see how they do this season.... trying to find a 50 degree left handed wedge can get challenging.

Not sure if you would consider a Ping iWedge, but Edwin Watts has new LH 50* iWedges online, with zz65 shaft for $50. I picked one up recently, as I love the iWedges and was only missing a 50* and 54* from my iWedge collection.

https://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=87052

Best wedge setup for me?

Best wedge setup for me?

I play a 45* PW and just got three new wedges today. Haven't hit them yet so looking for some advice before I hit them tomorrow. I got a 50, 56 & 60 and got standard bounce on them but curious about two things:

1. Is this good spacing or could I get away with two wedges?

2. If three wedges is the way to go (and I'm fine if it is) then should I go lower bounce on my 60 for short side bunker shots or very short chips? I found myself not opening up any of my wedges unless in the bunker.

3. Black Pearl or chrome/satin finish?

I have Blk Pearls. I have all 4 wedges My 60 is a 8 bounce. Good Luck.

You probably need the 3 wedges in my opinion my PW is a 47 degree and the spacing works out well for me with only 2 wedges being 54 and 60.

The bounce is up to you as far as if you think you will be in a lot of bunkers or what kind of conditions you will most play on. For me my wedges are both 10 bounce because I play a more on hard fairways and the extra bounce helps be cut through the ground better, but if you play more on softer ground a lesser bounce might be better for you.

I think you will find you hardly use the 60* unless you are in the bunker. the 56* is just as versatile to get large amount of loft on those chips. So go for the bounce that is best for your bunkers.

While I wouldn't worry about the 56/60 gap because if you mainly use the 60 for sand the gap is irrelevant. It all depends on yardage for me when gauging my wedges but I would be concerned about a small gap in between your 50/56. I would have probably gone with a 54* but that is just me.

Go to the range and hit your wedges to figure out the yardages for yourself.

How is the wear?

Not bad at all. I have CG15's I play at least 3 times a week. I use all my wedges because they are nicely spaced PW-125, GW-115, SW-100, LW- 90. Hope it helps.

Last year I played a set of R9's which included a 45* PW and a 50* AW, along with 56* and 60* CG15s. I replaced my R9's with Burner 2.0's this year, but the set I bought only went to PW (also 45*). I also had trouble hitting the CG15's consistently (granted it's probably the player, not the club), so I decided to try CG16s this year.

I liked the loft of the 50* R9 AW, so I went with a 50* CG16. I found the 60* to be too lofted for general purpose stuff so I went with a 54* and a 58* setup. The 50* and 54* are two dots (std bounce), and the 58* is one dot (low bounce).

I have a 60 and it is rarely used. 49, 53, and 56/57 works with a 45 PW. In the end it's how comfortable you are controlling distance with your swing. I find a 50 low bounce and a 56 mid bounce covers 99% of what needs to be done for me. My 60 is not long for the bag.

I think that spacing should work. I just got new wedges and I have a 46* PW so I went 50*, 54*, 58*. I used to have a 60* but opted for the 58* cause I felt that I wasn't using the 60 much and when I did I got into trouble with it. My bounces are 6,12, and 12. I play in softer conditions so the medium/high bounce on my higher lofted wedges is good so I don't hit too many fat shots. Also my 58* is a C-Grind which just gives me more options for shots I can play. as far as finish goes that is totally preference. I have satin,0 but I love the black pearl finish as well.

You probably need the 3 wedges in my opinion my PW is a 47 degree and the spacing works out well for me with only 2 wedges being 54 and 60.

The bounce is up to you as far as if you think you will be in a lot of bunkers or what kind of conditions you will most play on. For me my wedges are both 10 bounce because I play a more on hard fairways and the extra bounce helps be cut through the ground better, but if you play more on softer ground a lesser bounce might be better for you.

Never heard of more bounce helping you cut through the ground better?
I was always taught you want less bounce for hard/firm/tight conditions and more bounce for soft conditions that way it helps eliminate some of the fat shots. Less bounce-firm fairways. More bounce- soft fairways. Could be wrong but I think thats the "standard" way of what it is.

I have a 45* PW and I go 50/55. I also have a 60* that very rarely gets used. I have gotten to the point were I don't even practice with it because I just simply don't use it. Might sell it and get a more versatile club like a niblick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merged with another thread.

You guys probably won't like my new wedge setup:D

46* PW :)mizuno:)
56* SW :)cleveland: 588)

I hate it, but I'm not sure why.

You guys won't like my new wedge setup:D

46* PW :)mizuno:)
56* SW :)cleveland: 588)

I don't get it. Why would we hate that? The 588 is a very popular wedge on this forum.

I don't get it. Why would we hate that? The 588 is a very popular wedge on this forum.

Not so much the actual wedges as the set up. Seems like a big gap, but In reality its not too bad. I love the 588. Found it in my garage a week ago!! :D

I've been playing a bit different set up lately. I'm using a 50° GW from an iron set and then using the CG16 56 and 60 for shots that need what they have to offer. I'm finding that I like having the GW for full shots and I can take some distance off by choking up. The 56 gets used in sand and situations when I need some extra bounce. The 60° gets used when I really have to get the ball up fast.

Not so much the actual wedges as the set up. Seems like a big gap, but In reality its not too bad. I love the 588. Found it in my garage a week ago!! :D

oh, I see. Nah, man, whatever works for you and your game, I'm 100% in support of.

I've been playing a bit different set up lately. I'm using a 50° GW from an iron set and then using the CG16 56 and 60 for shots that need what they have to offer. I'm finding that I like having the GW for full shots and I can take some distance off by choking up. The 56 gets used in sand and situations when I need some extra bounce. The 60° gets used when I really have to get the ball up fast.

I have the same setup. I hardly ever use my 60*, but struggle with 80-90 yard shots. I have thought about dropping the 60* and putting a 53* in the bag to handle the 80-90 shots.

My PW is 44, GW is 49. I currently have a 52,56, and 60. I don't use a 3 or 5 wood much so I am going to a 4 wood to make room for the extra wedge. I figure I take more shots from 140 yds and in than anything so I like to have more options with the wedges.

I have this love/hate thing with the 60. I could easily drop it and never look back, but I keep thinking I should have it. Stupid marketing.

I have this love/hate thing with the 60. I could easily drop it and never look back, but I keep thinking I should have it. Stupid marketing.

I am in the same boat with you on my 60*. I use it for a flop shot once every month or so. I tried chipping just with it for about 6 months and that really hurt my game. I think you need to practice a ton to be great with it. I just went back to my 56* and my short game has gotten a lot better. I think the 60* is really over rated and hurts most amateurs games.

Back