Wedge bounce explanation..

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
Thoughts??

I think sometimes the simple explanation is just hit balls and see the visual behaviour in front of you ….

Rather than , delving into the , minutiae of the wedge, it’s a tool .

I think sometimes the simple explanation is just hit balls and see the visual behaviour in front of you ….

Rather than , delving into the , minutiae of the wedge, it’s a tool .
I am kind of wondering if he is correct in what he is saying. It “sounds” close to being right.. but something feels off.

I am kind of wondering if he is correct in what he is saying. It “sounds” close to being right.. but something feels off.
Very similar to explanation on Vokey website.

Ohhhhh @vgolfman blew my mind with a discussion on bounce at the Grandaddy in December. I can't explain it like he did, but it has to do with WHERE bounce is measured on clubs. He asked me to point out where I thought the bounce was measured on three different clubs (whether I was right or not is up for debate lol) and the answer was different depending on the club. Then he went on a bit of a deeper dive, but again, I can't explain it like he did

This video seems to be talking about it differently than he did, but I still don't understand it enough to know if this is correct or not

Bounce is something that I still don't really understand. I have watched several videos and read a lot of explanations, but something just doesn't click with me and bounce.

Bounce is something that I still don't really understand. I have watched several videos and read a lot of explanations, but something just doesn't click with me and bounce.
Let’s not even bring up. Grind. lol…

I thought 56/10 meant 56 degrees of loft 10 degrees bounce. So the “10” doesn’t really mean anything?

🤔

Here's some good stuff from RFC himself, nobody knows wedges better than Roger:

I like his hat…

Ohhhhh @vgolfman blew my mind with a discussion on bounce at the Grandaddy in December. I can't explain it like he did, but it has to do with WHERE bounce is measured on clubs. He asked me to point out where I thought the bounce was measured on three different clubs (whether I was right or not is up for debate lol) and the answer was different depending on the club. Then he went on a bit of a deeper dive, but again, I can't explain it like he did

This video seems to be talking about it differently than he did, but I still don't understand it enough to know if this is correct or not
I hadn't see Weston's bounce video until the post above. I know Weston well and he's a good dude, but he's a bit off on this. Leading edge height or leading edge elevation, can be correlated to the bounce shown on the sole, but is NOT how most manufacturers determine what effective (i.e. "plays like") bounce they put on the sole of the club. And for those of you who didn't know, there is no industry standard for how to measure bounce. So one companies 6 likely is not the same as another companies 6 in terms of bounce. The effective bounce is a combination of the bounce, leading edge radius/grind, sole width, camber radius (front-to-back), overall grind, trailing edge relief along with a few other more minor details.

I thought 56/10 meant 56 degrees of loft 10 degrees bounce. So the “10” doesn’t really mean anything?

🤔
A more accurate way to say it would be a 56/10 has a loft of 56 degrees and an effective bounce of 10 "degrees" per that companies measurement method and/or how they feel it plays in relation to other wedges in their offering.

Interesting. All I know is that I find it easier to hit the types of shots that I normally play with “low” bounce wedges.

I like his hat…
I just kept thinking his drywall crew must have been Falcons fans and that’s why they didn’t come back

Give me that chunky wedge to deal with the Midwest soup, they tend to be labeled high

I hadn't see Weston's bounce video until the post above. I know Weston well and he's a good dude, but he's a bit off on this. Leading edge height or leading edge elevation, can be correlated to the bounce shown on the sole, but is NOT how most manufacturers determine what effective (i.e. "plays like") bounce they put on the sole of the club. And for those of you who didn't know, there is no industry standard for how to measure bounce. So one companies 6 likely is not the same as another companies 6 in terms of bounce. The effective bounce is a combination of the bounce, leading edge radius/grind, sole width, camber radius (front-to-back), overall grind, trailing edge relief along with a few other more minor details.
I have met him before. He is a good dude. I thought something was not exactly right. But couldn’t really say what..

I'm so confused, hopefully the Vokey experience brings more clarity to this.
I zoned out a few times while watching that video thinking about exactly this.

This is why I answered ,,. More about the tool , how that behaves , there’s lots of ingredients in the recipe of the wedge and associated bounce… rather than get seduced by the technical design the resultant shot etc will be purest evidence

Thanks to @vgolfman , for providing clarity … also .

It’s a science unto itself .

Did he cube the hypotenuse and carry the naught?

I didn’t want to bring up the different companies thing since I didn’t know if that was “classified” info lol

Thanks a ton for always helping us out Mr. Vrska!

Once you've tried, let's say, 100+ different kind of wedge from, let's say, just about every major brand out there you can look at a wedge and know more than any set of numbers could tell you about how it's going to work for you. And trying wedges is fun! So my recommendation is skip the graduate degree in wedge-geekery and just go buy some wedges and give 'em a try.

I feel like I say effective bounce and effective sole width 47 times a week. That's what it's all about. The measurement thing is a little screwy but I like that he's getting people to think beyond the numbers.

Did he cube the hypotenuse and carry the naught?
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Back