Washing your clubs

AZRhode

Reaction score
Handicap
4.8 GHIN
Random question.

How often do you wash your clubs? I do a detail wash, grips and all about once a week but I have two golf buddies who NEVER wash their clubs.

I'm a little neurotic about it but I really enjoy cleaning them, my son helps and I can check for any wear etc.

What about everyone else?

I wipe them down after every round and give them a good clean at the end of the season.

I wipe mine clean after most shots and wash them down basically once per week for the whole set.

I fill up the kitchen sink with warm water and regular dish washing detergent. I let the heads soak for about 15 minutes and then I scrub them with a nylon brush, rinse them off and set them on a towel on the floor with the shafts leaning against the counter edge. I clean my grips with the same solution of dish washing detergent - soaking them real good and scrubbing them vigorously with the nylon brush. I towel dry them to get the excess moisture off and then let everything air dry. When those grips dry out, they stick like Velcro!

I also periodically throw my golf hats in the dishwasher too. It does a great job getting rid of grime and sweat stains.

-JP

I wipe off the heads after every shot, sometimes scrub with a nylong brush. I also wash them off after or before every round I go out. I get a little obsessive about it, but I really do enjoy clean clubs.

I haven't washed my grips yet, because I never knew the proper way to do so.

I wipe mine clean after most shots and wash them down basically once per week for the whole set.

I fill up the kitchen sink with warm water and regular dish washing detergent. I let the heads soak for about 15 minutes and then I scrub them with a nylon brush, rinse them off and set them on a towel on the floor with the shafts leaning against the counter edge. I clean my grips with the same solution of dish washing detergent - soaking them real good and scrubbing them vigorously with the nylon brush. I towel dry them to get the excess moisture off and then let everything air dry. When those grips dry out, they stick like Velcro!

I also periodically throw my golf hats in the dishwasher too. It does a great job getting rid of grime and sweat stains.

-JP

i do the exact same thing JP. except i don't wash my hats, i like them to have a little character you know. one of my golfing buddies is always giving me a hard time about the state of my hats, but i just can't wash them.

i do the exact same thing JP. except i don't wash my hats, i like them to have a little character you know. one of my golfing buddies is always giving me a hard time about the state of my hats, but i just can't wash them.

I know exactly what you're saying and I enjoy the same "character" in hats myself. But sometimes the character gets a little too overpowering and then it's time for a trip to the ol' Kenmore.

-JP

I know exactly what you're saying and I enjoy the same "character" in hats myself. But sometimes the character gets a little too overpowering and then it's time for a trip to the ol' Kenmore.

-JP

i usually just retire my hats to yard duties and replace them with a new one. i probably should give the dishwasher a go sometime.

btw, glad to have you back around posting again!

I try to wipe 'em after each shot and clean out the grooves on the irons and wedges especially. After the round I will do a more detailed cleaning. I have never cleaned the grips but I might consider it next time I clean.

I clean them after every round with soap and water using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Really gets the grips clean

I was wondering if anyone else's grips get really dirty after like two-three weeks. Mine get so dirty my right hand is covered in dirt/black stuff by the end of the round if I don't wash my hands mid-round.

I clean my grips every two-three weeks...

I wipe the clubheads down after almost every shot, and give them a good cleaning after a round. For the good cleaning, I use very hot water, dish soap, a plastic Dobi scrubber and toothpicks to clean the clubheads, and hot water and dish soap for the grips. I stand them up in the carpeted game room overnight to dry. The only club I don't clean like this is my putter; I just wipe it down and clean the Winn grip with rubbing alcohol (water is bad for some of the Winn grips - they advise against it).

BTW, welcome back JP. You were missed.

You all make me feel like I'm lazy on my club cleaning. I might polish them up once a month if the mood strikes me. When I do, I use a golf tee to clean out the grooves then an old toothbrush, a rag, and some water to give the clubheads a bath. I've never cleaned my grips. They usually get replaced every 1-2 years depending on how many rounds I get in.

; I just wipe it down and clean the Winn grip with rubbing alcohol (water is bad for some of the Winn grips - they advise against it).

That is good to know as my clubs are being regripped right now with Winn grips. I wonder if using windex like I normally do would hurt the grips?

Those of you that soak your clubs may want to be careful to not soak the head above where the shaft meets the head. With steel shafts you could create some unneeded moisture and rust that could cause the heads to eventually weaken and snap off.

Windex has amonia. That can't be good for grips can it? I would imagine it would be just as bad as rubbing alcohol.

Wash my clubs after every round. I use a sponge and dish soap. I clean my grips as needed (every 10-15 rounds). Sponge and dish soap.

Never use a brush on my clubs.

Robert

Windex has amonia. That can't be good for grips can it? I would imagine it would be just as bad as rubbing alcohol.

Hmmmm good point. I guess I will have to send an email out to winn and see what they reccomend.

I just wipe it down and clean the Winn grip with rubbing alcohol (water is bad for some of the Winn grips - they advise against it).

That is good to know as my clubs are being regripped right now with Winn grips. I wonder if using windex like I normally do would hurt the grips?

Rubbing alcohol is recommended by Winn to clean their grips: http://www.winngrips.com/index.cfm?event=product.care

Cleaning a Winn Grip
Because Winn grips have absorbent properties, they may eventually soil from dirt and perspiration from your golf glove and hands. This does not affect the performance of the grip.

To clean a Winn grip, apply a small amount of water or rubbing alcohol to a soft towel, and gently rub the grips. Do not saturate the towel. Never use a brush and soapy water to clean a Winn grip because it may damage the top surface and destroy the tackiness and slip-resistance of the grip.

DO NOT immerse Winn grips in a bucket of water to clean them. This will saturate the underlying layer of the grip and may ruin the grip.

Rubbing alcohol is recommended by Winn to clean their grips: http://www.winngrips.com/index.cfm?event=product.care

Cleaning a Winn Grip
Because Winn grips have absorbent properties, they may eventually soil from dirt and perspiration from your golf glove and hands. This does not affect the performance of the grip.

To clean a Winn grip, apply a small amount of water or rubbing alcohol to a soft towel, and gently rub the grips. Do not saturate the towel. Never use a brush and soapy water to clean a Winn grip because it may damage the top surface and destroy the tackiness and slip-resistance of the grip.

DO NOT immerse Winn grips in a bucket of water to clean them. This will saturate the underlying layer of the grip and may ruin the grip.

Thanks for the info, now I have to go out and buy some rubbing alcohol.

I clean the head after every shot. Each week I clean the clubs and grips. I use hot soapy water in a spray bottle and a small brush to clean the grooves on the face of the irons. I then spray them with cold water and wipe the head with a soft towel. The grips I spray with the hot soapy water then scrub the grips with a stiff bristle brush until they look very soapy. I use a hose to get the hot soapy water off. If you use hot soapy water it is important to clean it off with cold water. If you use hot water to clean them it will leave a soapy residue on the grips. If you clean your grips often it will leave them far more tacky and they will last longer as well.

The grips I spray with the hot soapy water then scrub the grips with a stiff bristle brush until they look very soapy. I use a hose to get the hot soapy water off. If you use hot soapy water it is important to clean it off with cold water. If you use hot water to clean them it will leave a soapy residue on the grips.

I've never heard that. I use dish soap and the hottest water I can stand when I clean my grips and have never had soap residue problems. I use GP Tour Wraps on all my clubs (except the putter) and have cleaned my grips this way for many years. Grips end up extremely tacky when cleaned this way.

I wipe down the head after every shot and brush out the grooves if reqd. (especially wedges). After the round I will use a soft brush and water to clean them up. Once a month I clean my grips with mild soap and a brush again making sure that they get rinsed very well. Always do this with the grips pointed down so no water runs into the shaft through the grip air hole. They are dried in the same position for the same reason.

I clean my at least once a week (but that's only if I've used them) and more if they're muddy and really dirty! But since we only play about once a week, its been pushed to maybe 3-4 times a month :D

Back