Voice Caddie SL3 Rangefinder

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Voice Caddie is absolutely on a heater right now. If you have had the chance to check out THP’s reviews on their TL1 and more recently L6 rangefinders then you already know they have committed themselves perhaps more than any other brand to offering an option for everyone.

However, we shouldn’t forget the SL series from Voice Caddie, as the third generation entry into that lineup, the SL3 takes premium to an entirely different level than anyone else on the market.

Continue reading...

• Staff
This one blew me away if I’m being honest. The GPS aspect works exponentially better that I ever expected. I personally do miss the cart magnet, but like I said in the article, I get why something as high end as this materials design wise doesn’t have it.

How many rounds were you able to get per charge?

• Staff
How many rounds were you able to get per charge?
Talked about it in the article, but I found their timeline of battery life to be accurate. I used it over 10 HS tournaments (5-6.5h rounds), multiple practice rounds, and a handful of personal play rounds. I recharged it about three times, that was with me using GPS in all rounds for testing. I was impressed.

I love everything about this.

First of all, magnets on rangefinders are the easiest way to lose your rangefinder. No thanks.

Second, the functional side of the VC lasers is exceptional. I mentioned in the thread about the L6, but it's really changed how I use and trust a rangefinder when I compare it to the turds I had before. Really solid performance. Everything about this one is beautiful.

Is the case able to connect to a bag, @Jman ?

IHMO Z82 > SL3 . I own both devices. I have owned and used the Z80 and Z82( primary RF).

Why?

SL3
Pros
Fast acquire
Accurate laser yardage
Lightweight
The general idea of the tilt of the green for approaches
Can use as a regular RF without GPS for a much longer battery life
Can still use RF while charging
Visually see Front, Middle, and Back numbers without using the optical viewfinder

Cons
Limited golf courses included
Fast acquire sometimes too fast
Small screen, fat fingers
Not as informative at first sight on the screen when viewing for hazards
Battery life approx. 3 rounds with GPS
No option to change to a different hole
No magnet option built-in

Z82
Pros
Lightweight
Accurate laser yardage
41000+ golf courses included
Lots of information for tee shots and approaches
Yardage arc indicator for approach shot number
Ability to change holes i.e. when you sliced to the next hole over
Bluetooth connectivity with additional information such as wind
Find my rangefinder feature

Cons
Slower wake time
Tougher to acquire the pin if you have shaky hands
Limited battery life approx 2.5 rounds
screen display poor vs optical lens
Mirco USB charging port
Can NOT use while charging

These are my thoughts on using the 2 units.

IHMO Z82 > SL3 . I own both devices. I have owned and used the Z80 and Z82( primary RF).

Why?

SL3
Pros
Fast acquire
Accurate laser yardage
Lightweight
The general idea of the tilt of the green for approaches
Can use as a regular RF without GPS for a much longer battery life
Can still use RF while charging
Visually see Front, Middle, and Back numbers without using the optical viewfinder

Cons
Limited golf courses included
Fast acquire sometimes too fast
Small screen, fat fingers
Not as informative at first sight on the screen when viewing for hazards
Battery life approx. 3 rounds with GPS
No option to change to a different hole

Z82
Pros
Lightweight
Accurate laser yardage
41000+ golf courses included
Lots of information for tee shots and approaches
Yardage arc indicator for approach shot number
Ability to change holes i.e. when you sliced to the next hole over
Bluetooth connectivity with additional information such as wind
Find my rangefinder feature

Cons
Slower wake time
Tougher to acquire the pin if you have shaky hands
Limited battery life approx 2.5 rounds
screen display poor vs optical lens
Mirco USB charging port
Can NOT use while charging

These are my thoughts on using the 2 units.
Interesting. I have honestly never heard of fast being a con, because the Z82 is so slow by comparison. Its also much easier to miss the flag for me. But honestly it is painfully slow by comparison.

Bluetooth app is something that some might like, but others will not like that tether.
The Micro USB is a complete failure to me as well.

I liked the Z82, but the speed is a complete non starter by comparison for that kind of money. Glad you found one that you are enjoying though.

Man that thing looks pretty phenomenal. Quite a few bells and whistles and I'm surprised at how crystal clear the display looks in the pictures. I'm with the others here who do not keep a rangefinder on a post, it would scare the he11 out of me to do so. My old one stays permanently in it's case in the cart. Great write up @Jman and I look forward to your feedback after the 100+ rounds you put on it this year sir.

The biggest fault IMO for the SL3 is the inability to change to a different hole and you need a number to your current green from a different fairway or hole; THAT is when you need the GPS feature the most.

The extra 2 seconds for the unit to wake is easily avoidable by picking up the unit before you get to your ball location and I'd rather take another extra second to get the correct yardage instead of hitting something in the background because it gave me a number too fast.

I love everything about this.

First of all, magnets on rangefinders are the easiest way to lose your rangefinder. No thanks.

Second, the functional side of the VC lasers is exceptional. I mentioned in the thread about the L6, but it's really changed how I use and trust a rangefinder when I compare it to the turds I had before. Really solid performance. Everything about this one is beautiful.

Is the case able to connect to a bag, @Jman ?
You know, it’s funny you say that about magnets when I’ve lost two that I left on carts. Haha

the case does clip to the bag, it’s bright whiteness is less so after rounds thougu 🤣

You know, it’s funny you say that about magnets when I’ve lost two that I left on carts. Haha

the case does clip to the bag, it’s bright whiteness is less so after rounds thougu 🤣

I left one on the cart last year (got it back) and then never did it again. Bad mojo!

The extra 2 seconds for the unit to wake is easily avoidable by picking up the unit before you get to your ball location and I'd rather take another extra second to get the correct yardage instead of hitting something in the background because it gave me a number too fast.
Thats the beauty of PinTracer which is unlike most of the target lock systems on the market. I have used the TL1 or SL3 for over a year and not missed a single flag. Maybe I am lucky, but that is a lot of THP Event rounds at various courses.

Im genuinely surprised the speed caused some misses for you.

Thats the beauty of PinTracer which is unlike most of the target lock systems on the market. I have used the TL1 or SL3 for over a year and not missed a single flag. Maybe I am lucky, but that is a lot of THP Event rounds at various courses.

I've used both the Pin Tracer and the GPS-assisted lock feature of the SL3 but still gave me the wrong number in the background. Maybe I have a defective unit /shrug.

Most accurate rangefinders I’ve ever tested

I love my SL1 and this continues Voice Caddie's line of great range finders. I love that they kept with the leather exterior and details Too many things can throw on a plastic exterior and claim something about durability. The GPS screen is great though I agree that switching holes would be nice to have. Glad to hear the speed of getting distances is still there.

I love my SL1 and this continues Voice Caddie's line of great range finders. I love that they kept with the leather exterior and details Too many things can throw on a plastic exterior and claim something about durability. The GPS screen is great though I agree that switching holes would be nice to have. Glad to hear the speed of getting distances is still there.
Its even faster now. I was a longtime SL1 user, but the last few devices are the fastest I have used to date.

Its even faster now. I was a longtime SL1 user, but the last few devices are the fastest I have used to date.
I honestly don’t think there’s any faster out there.

I hate it.

It's too enjoyable. It takes my attention away from other things, like waiting for a reading and not being sure what the hole looks like.
Its like the Rolls Royce of rangefinders isn't it?

So, my good man @Jman hooked me up with the SL3 to mess with since I've had a Bushnell in the bag for years not willing to switch it up.

I absolutely love it. Love how quick it pulls distances, love how easy it is to pull up a course, and even if I am not using the GPS features when I pull a club, having it sitting in the cup holder is almost as good as having the on board GPS in the cart.

Also, Cal loved it too. He really enjoyed seeing the way the holes looked, and deciding how far away from each green he wanted to hit from.

I didn't find myself using the green slides in the GPS a lot, but I am blown away at just how much information is available on there to see what the green complex looks like. It's enormously helpful when you're playing a course you're not familiar with and trying to hit at locations of the green.

So, my good man @Jman hooked me up with the SL3 to mess with since I've had a Bushnell in the bag for years not willing to switch it up.

I absolutely love it. Love how quick it pulls distances, love how easy it is to pull up a course, and even if I am not using the GPS features when I pull a club, having it sitting in the cup holder is almost as good as having the on board GPS in the cart.

Also, Cal loved it too. He really enjoyed seeing the way the holes looked, and deciding how far away from each green he wanted to hit from.
VC has the fastest rangefinders out there. IMO, they've surpassed Bushnell in all aspects too.

I didn't find myself using the green slides in the GPS a lot, but I am blown away at just how much information is available on there to see what the green complex looks like. It's enormously helpful when you're playing a course you're not familiar with and trying to hit at locations of the green.
ALL of the info. ALL of it.

Back