UST Mamiya Frequency Filtered Putter Shaft

TRyan

Granddaddy 2X | GOAT Cup Champ | Gray Bull Bound
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I couldn't find a thread specifically on this putter shaft, and since I was fortunate enough to receive one at UST I figured I would start a thread to discuss it, and maybe answer some questions people have.

From UST:

Frequency Filtered Putter Shafts

The first true putter shaft technology in more than 70 years.

The new Frequency Filtered™ putter shaft amplifies touch and feel. And if you like to feel every putt, then you are about to feel real good. This radically new putter shaft design improves the ability of all players to perceive or feel where ball impact occurs on the face. This instantaneous feedback results in improved putting ability since the player learns to consistently stroke more putts on the sweet spot of the putter. Feel becomes clearer and so does the confidence to make solid contact to sink more putts.

Filtering Diffuser in the mid-section filters out higher, unwanted vibrations. Therefore, only the true feeling of the ball impacting the putter face is released to the hands.

Interlinked Carbon fiber in the butt-section creates a tremendous amount of hoop strength for a consistently solid feel in the hands.

Steel tip-section makes the shaft a perfect fit for the hottest putter heads on the market.

Frequency Filtered putter shafts are available in 7 different tip-bend configurations. Each model should be trimmed to length from the butt end only. The best way to make sure our shaft will fit your putter is to have that putter measured by a repair shop or personally if you have the equipment. You want to measure the Outside Diameter of the tip where the shaft goes into the hosel or over the hosel of the putter. Knowing what tip configuration and the Outside Diameter of your putter will help you find which Frequency Filtered Putter shaft you need.

frequency-filtered-putter.png

I don't have a ton to add at this point as I have only played one round and it was on punched greens, but I have a round scheduled this weekend, and plan on getting some putting practice in this week. I will say that you can really feel where you miss on the putter, the diffuser really works to remove vibrations outside of the impact of the ball on the face so you know where on the face you missed it. Danny was asking me to miss on the toe and on the heel and I could absolutely feel where it was I was missing with it.

I will try to snag some pictures of the shaft tonight and post them up here, but if anyone has any questions for me in the meantime I will answer them to the best of my ability.

These always intrigue me. I am very interesting in hearing some experiences.

Dr. Tinkerstein in me is very curious about this...

I think more people might consider them if they were an option when purchasing, but it's hard when you have to seek them out from a third party. I know Danny plays one and loves it as well, and I am looking forward to continuing to use this and see if it at least makes me more aware of where I am missing with the putter stroke

I'm sure I've never really considered the advantages of a custom putter shaft. This will be very educational!!

I have one in a custom putter and while I like the shaft I really don't think it makes a huge difference. What would be interesting though is to try it in putter and use it side by side the same putter with a standard shaft. I haven't been able to do that to see if there really is a difference.

I have one in a custom putter and while I like the shaft I really don't think it makes a huge difference. What would be interesting though is to try it in putter and use it side by side the same putter with a standard shaft. I haven't been able to do that to see if there really is a difference.

I didn't do an apples to apples, but I had two Odyssey putters and when missing one on the heel and one on the toe on both and definitely noticed a difference.

I think more people might consider them if they were an option when purchasing, but it's hard when you have to seek them out from a third party. I know Danny plays one and loves it as well, and I am looking forward to continuing to use this and see if it at least makes me more aware of where I am missing with the putter stroke

Bingo!! I wouldn't even know where to begin in finding the shaft. You know anyone that could help? :D

Bingo!! I wouldn't even know where to begin in finding the shaft. You know anyone that could help? :D

I am betting UST could help you out, but I know they also have a dealer locator on their site.

http://www.ustmamiya.com/about-us/contact/how-to-buy

Looks like around me at least about 5-6 dealers within 10 miles. The big box stores are authorized dealers it looks like so they could definitely order them.

I am betting UST could help you out, but I know they also have a dealer locator on their site.

http://www.ustmamiya.com/about-us/contact/how-to-buy

Looks like around me at least about 5-6 dealers within 10 miles. The big box stores are authorized dealers it looks like so they could definitely order them.

So do you know if those Golfsmith's or PGA Superstores have them on hand? Or is it something they have to order from UST? If unknown, I will stop in and ask them during my next trip in.

So do you know if those Golfsmith's or PGA Superstores have them on hand? Or is it something they have to order from UST? If unknown, I will stop in and ask them during my next trip in.

Oh I would guess they will have to order them. I imagine they will know which one you need to fit your putter. I will say combined with the Toe Up, it feels awesome.

I've always wanted to game one, and this was the hang up for me, I'm finally tinkering a bit more and hopefully can put one of these in play soon, sounds like the CX may not work with a FF, but hopefully I can find a head to put one in soon!

eBay or GolfWorks

I've always wanted to game one, and this was the hang up for me, I'm finally tinkering a bit more and hopefully can put one of these in play soon, sounds like the CX may not work with a FF, but hopefully I can find a head to put one in soon!

I would reach out to UST on Twitter, I bet Lindsay could tell you for sure.

I would reach out to UST on Twitter, I bet Lindsay could tell you for sure.

Sorry for the confusion. They got me the specs, just waiting to hear back from cure. Sounds like the cure is a triple bend and FF double bend may not work.

Just bought 2 off of GolfWorks.

I also have one on my Bettinardi Tiki. I'm a fan, for me though, the feedback thing is noticeable, but the look is what does it. They look awesome.

These do look awesome. Unfortunately I ended up having the wrong bend installed in my putter so I haven't gotten to experience the benefits of the FF, but dang they look sweet.

I ordered mine from golfworks right after hitting Danny's at the April event. It drop shipped directly from UST IIRC. Either way it only took a few days to get here, and I put it in one night last week.

New Shaft
by Erik, on Flickr

Comparison
by Erik, on Flickr

Just bought one an hour ago and am now seeing this thread, I'll be sure to update when mine gets here

I have one of these, need to figure out which putter to put it in. Think I'm going to put it in the #7ch to test it out

Can someone tell me the raw length of the shaft. I would love to try one but my playing length is 38".

These look really cool. TH, how different is the feel when you hit it well, as compared to an off hit?

These look really cool. TH, how different is the feel when you hit it well, as compared to an off hit?

It's sort of hard to describe, but there is a harsh feeling when you miss the center, and a much more solid feeling when you strike it in the center

I ordered mine from golfworks right after hitting Danny's at the April event. It drop shipped directly from UST IIRC. Either way it only took a few days to get here, and I put it in one night last week.

New Shaft
by Erik, on Flickr

Comparison
by Erik, on Flickr

Mind sharing your initial thoughts? I already bought one, but waiting a week has me antsy.

Back