UST Mamiya DART V TSPX Iron Shafts

Those look so, so good!

If these are basically the recoil darts in 120.. I am getting some. I loved the darts but they were too light for my taste. These would be perfection!
I enjoyed the 105 weight but I recall you saying often they were just too light. These could be a great fit...Plus these look even better!

I enjoyed the 105 weight but I recall you saying often they were just too light. These could be a great fit...Plus these look even better!

The dart's ion coating plated color was fantastic as well. These are a bit more murdered which is cool. I am needing more info..

Good morning! I have been testing the Recoil Dart V 105 F4 in a little DIY combo set of AeroJet OL, Forged Tec, and King Tour irons. Thanks to THP and UST Mamiya for the opportunity to test these!

Busy day today so I'll get some feedback up as soon as I can. In the meantime here are some pics of how they look. As you can see they look great with a wide variety of iron syles and ferrules, which as we know is the first consideration in an iron shaft. 😉 Last pic is the set with a standard Recoil all the way on the right.

CADF9E21-36AF-49A1-A3FD-5BE0D6FA42A0.jpeg
19207C72-C499-4086-9688-F7D52F9CB34E.jpeg
38205F58-EC1E-47AD-A334-8389198E9160.jpeg
5F48A952-4DD2-4F7B-BAC1-411D64B6AA97.jpeg
B6663582-344D-4E94-BA9B-C431A7446A71.jpeg

maybe i'm just boring, but i feel like every graphite company should pay attention to this. THIS is what i think a lot of us want in a graphite iron shaft. don't junk it all up with unnecessary graphics. be subtle and classy. these look absolutely amazing!

how does that compare to other graphite shafts? is that a lot of material in the tip section, or pretty standard?

It differs with each manufacturer and model. I would call it fairly significant. It's definitely a tight fit for a typical insert weight.

Interesting.. Pretty small opening there at the tip. The butt diameter looks fairly large. Is that true or do you just have small hands? :LOL::LOL: J/K J/K!!

Haha. I have pictures of diameter. Give me a minute to make my hands look bigger.

how does that compare to other graphite shafts? is that a lot of material in the tip section, or pretty standard?

When you get into heavy composite shafts, more material is going to be necessary.

When you get into heavy composite shafts, more material is going to be necessary.

i was wondering if extra material would make these play stiffer. lower launch, less(ish) spin, tighter feel.

Wow, these look very very sharp!

Looking forward to following and learning more!

sorry to spam this thread. i'm obviously super pumped about these!

i was wondering if extra material would make these play stiffer. lower launch, less(ish) spin, tighter feel.
Doesnt necessarily do any of that, but its certainly possible.

I view shafts a bit differently than many others. So excuse my long windedness here. If shaft fitting is based on data, then using a composite shaft should allow less weight since it can be made as stiff as steel with less weight. I am such a big proponent in going to less weight for a large portion of the golfers, but doing so in a high quality shaft that allows the same profile or something that fits the golfer.

I do understand the reasoning that some stay with the same weight they always have. It kind of goes with the territory in golf. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get it. We saw it in driver shafts forever.

I'll have a few videos today. I'm not a video expert.

I was selected to test these UST Mamiya DART V Concept TSPX shafts in the 105S shaft. I worked with @DannyLe and we decided to soft step the shafts and I'm at a D2 swing weight.

Personally, I think UST got an ace on the shaft color and graphics. In the sun the mat black shaft doesn't have much if any reflection. That's a huge plus for me. The graphics look awesome!

View attachment 9168784

I installed them in my Apex Triple Play (5i-9i, PW, AW) which originally had the MCA MMT 95S. For those who have followed me, know I'm pretty smitten with those iron shafts. Just so you know those will not go back in. These are DEFINTELY better!!
View attachment 9168788
I took an unorthodox approach and had the graphics facing the iron face. It looks really good that way and draws my eyes down the shaft to the face. The V logo also points straight down the shaft and helps with face alignment.
View attachment 9168787
Personally, i am a big fan of logo up

My gosh those are nice to look at! And knowing UST, the performance can't be beat. I wonder how they'd compare to my Recoils with my swing

I love the coloring of these, very subtle between the Matte and the graphics , so sexy

I have not had the pleasure of playing graphite iron shafts yet. I have been interested for awhile and have been lucky enough to be selected as a tester. I have been playing Nippon Modus 120 in Cobr MIM Tour irons. I have played Nippon Modus 105 and DG S300 105 that I have enjoyed. It was nice to see a graphite shaft in the 105 and 120 weights.

I will be testing the Dart V 105 F4 in the Cobra MIM tours. I have a 7 iron with the Nippon Modus 105 with Cobra MiM Tour head that I will try to get some side by side comparison and numbers when I can get on a launch monitor.

Looks: I really like the look of the iron shaft. The subtle graphics and matte black look fantastic. It definitely is a premium shaft. I went logo down for install with the black GP tour velvet grips.

Performance: I have only gotten to get out to the range a couple times (weather) so far with these. First impressions are just fantastic. They are very stable and smooth throughout the whole swing. It didn't feel like I was fighting the shaft, or any manipulation had to be done. I could feel where the club head was through the swing and into impact. The biggest thing, for me, was impact. It just felt like it flowed right through the hitting zone with little to no deflection. It was surprising how it felt through impact to me. It felt like the ball just jumps off the face at impact with these. It just felt like there as no re direction or anything and the club was doing what it was suppose to do. I could swing easy or go after it and the shaft had no issues. The dispersion was seemed tighter on the range than normal. I am really excited to get these out on course soon.

Flight: I was seeing a mid/high trajectory with these irons. There was a pretty heavy wind so that could be a factor in a higher launch than I am normal to seeing. It could also be me tinkering with my swing. Ill have to get back out on a less windy day (hard in Oklahoma) to see a difference.

Will get out for more testing on course and on launch monitor to try and get you guys numbers compared to the Nippon 105. Ask all the questions!

Holy cow, these look awesome. I will need a set of these to continue my Recoil journey. So I will be following along to see how to buy a set. Wow.

Loving what I'm reading so far. Based on the testers you all have high swing speeds I assume hence the weight and flexes. Would you say these hold up to your swing without feeling like you are swinging rebar?

Interesting.. Pretty small opening there at the tip. The butt diameter looks fairly large. Is that true or do you just have small hands? :LOL::LOL: J/K J/K!!
20230403_092420.jpg

There's 3 points for ya.

Took some fresh ones, sans hands. :p

Last edited:
butt section at .61 is a bit on the larger size. Not terrible though.

butt section at .61 is a bit on the larger size. Not terrible though.
It's right there in that normal just under that number range I think. Seems pretty standard. I'm sure they'll update the specs for the different weights and flexes soon.

It's right there in that normal just under that number range I think. Seems pretty standard. I'm sure they'll update the specs for the different weights and flexes soon.

I am just thinking of the KBS .610 wedge shafts. Those are designed to be slightly larger butt section to reduce spin. Dynamic golds are .60 so it is not a huge difference at all though.

Can but not always. Every recipe is a little unique as are the ingredients. And if it's right for the shaft I'm definitely not scared of a little material in the tip. Even just for swing weight/balance reasons.

Loving what I'm reading so far. Based on the testers you all have high swing speeds I assume hence the weight and flexes. Would you say these hold up to your swing without feeling like you are swinging rebar?
Absolutely. They feel very solid but still have a great feel while swinging.

Back