Unsolicited gold advice- what’s your stance

jazi95

#TCU-Alum - 'Alleged' Muffin Juice lover
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Do you think unsolicited swing advice on the golf range is ever warranted?

Almost never.

Never. Because it always comes after a bad shot. I know I was aimed right. Look where the ball went. We can all see it. Let it go.

never is good

Almost never. Leaving the door open a little for that day I may be on the range and Butch Harmon walks up and says “might I have a word”..

To or from a stranger, almost never. With buddies I play with often, I don’t mind the “wow you really came over the top of that one” or some other reminder that we’ve talked about many times before.

I am leaning the other way - I take the advice and move on. I was at the range slicing the tree line at a local course Crosswinds, The range area is elevated and when I say slicing I mean I was harvesting the pine trees. An old man walked up saw one and told me how to band-aid my slice and why my ball flight was. I mean this man was old, hard life, clubs were from the 80s, hunched back, lived a good life. I took the advice and started hitting it straight which led me down another path to fix my wrist in my swing. I am appreciative today as I was that day.

Almost never.

Never. Because it always comes after a bad shot. I know I was aimed right. Look where the ball went. We can all see it. Let it go.

never is good

Almost never. Leaving the door open a little for that day I may be on the range and Butch Harmon walks up and says “might I have a word”..
But what if it’s a cute girl? And I’m a guy in my 40s with a dad bod that she definitely wants to talk to? And I have some bad info I got from completely misinterpreting a youtube video? Surely then it’s ok right?

But what if it’s a cute girl? And I’m a guy in my 40s with a dad bod that she definitely wants to talk to? And I have some bad info I got from completely misinterpreting a youtube video? Surely then it’s ok right?
Well that changes things…
IMG_4412.jpeg

Outside of something like “ah your back foot slipped there”? No. I enjoy not talking to people on the range outside of a little small talk.

Depends on who it is.

Nope, reason it’s free as the value is the same.

Never wanna receive and would neeeeever give it

If I’m playing with a stud, I don’t mind it. But often I’ll hear it from a fellow hack — I don’t want your unsolicited advice if you’re a 15 handicap

OK - here is the story: Years ago I was playing in Myrtle Beach and my partner had been slicing his drives all round long. We came to a hole on the back nine that was a dogleg right. At the point of the dogleg was a large oak tree on the left edge of the fairway. I told him to aim at the oak tree and when he sliced his drive it would go right around the dogleg and be in play. Well, he hit his only straight drive of the day, hit the tree and went into the woods! He turned and said to me - "I knew you didn't know what the f..ck you were talking about!"

That is when I learned NOT to give unsolicited advice!

I just realized the title says gold. Gold advice is actually even more annoying than golf advice. If you’ve ever been around a doomsday prepper who’s telling you to convert your 401k to precious metals then you know what I mean.

No. Never. It is presumptuous and rude to just give unsolicited advice.

If it’s from someone I know or the pro, then yeah I’ll take. The assistant at my old club did this once and it was super helpful.

If it’s from a stranger, absolutely not. I never give swing advice unless asked but I’ll admit, sometimes it’s tough when it’s something super obvious yet super simple to fix

I’ll never give it on course and only give it if we’re having a few beers post round and he says what they were struggling with and preface it with saying “this is what I saw and might help”

It’s the reason I wear earbuds most of the time when I’m hitting at the range.

I will ask ... but I've learned enough now and with video that I don't really need to ask. I've cleaned most of it up over the last 3 yrs. But I may ask ...

As to giving advice to others, I've matured in this area. I don't unless asked. And you know why, because it really pisses me off when someone comments about my swing ... so I zip my lips.

Never at the range. That’s a practice and drill area. Most of the time I don’t care about anyone else’s swing and I’m hoping the same is true with them.

Yeah cause you got a shot lmao

I would never give it a stranger. If its obvious a stranger is a really good golfer I wouldn't be bothered if he gave advice. Its not like I don't need it.

Sure, assuming the person’s first question is - would you have any interest in some swing thoughts?

Back