UNC Roy Williams Retires?!

Thrillbilly Jim

Naysayer Trendsetter
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
Saw this on ESPN! I’m inclined to believe it’s an elaborate April Fools Joke because there has been no talk about him retiring.

It's probably time.

I figured he’d want to get to 1000 wins first.

I figured he’d want to get to 1000 wins first.
Being close I would have thought so too. But he had some great runs at Kansas and NC so good luck to him.

It's probably a good time for him to exit. Coming off a subpar season for UNC and faced with uncertainties as to returnees with the transfer portal.

The big question is who is his successor? A former UNC player (Hubert Davis, Jerry Stackhouse) a current NBA coach maybe looking to return to college (Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan) a coach currently coaching a power conference team or Rick Pitino (currently at Iona).

I think we all knew it was coming after this pandemic year. Drained the good Roy Williams. Still one of the all time greats!

Coach Williams is an absolute legend, good on him for going out when he was ready!

When Dean Smith retired, no one unexpected it. I'm not surprised that Williams decided to more or less go the same route.

Making an exception- Roy Williams was an awesome coach. Enjoy retirement.

It's probably time.
Isn't he like 80+?
I am all for the great coaches coaching but at some point you gotta let the new blood in.
Could be a April fools joke but hes still wicked old!

Last edited:
If this is a April Fool's I will become a Duke fan, and I dislike Duke.... A LOT!
I would hate for this to be a April Fools joke, but never enough to become a Duke fan.
That would like me ever becoming a Michigan fan.
I'm a OSU/UNC fan. I'm also a Gemini and complicated ;)

I would hate for this to be a April Fools joke, but never enough to become a Duke fan.
That would like me ever becoming a Michigan fan.
I'm a OSU/UNC fan. I'm also a Gemini and complicated ;)

I wouldn't say I am fan of UNC but I cheer for them when they play Duke. I

If this is true, I hope he enjoys some time not having to worry about Xs and Os.

Everyone does except for me, DUKE all the way.
Now this might become an issue soon, as I think Coach K will be retiring soon also. Be very interesting to see who replaces him.

Everyone does except for me, DUKE all the way.
Now this might become an issue soon, as I think Coach K will be retiring soon also. Be very interesting to see who replaces him.

Duke should have fired Coach K about 5 years ago (when Grayson Allen was consistently tripping opposing players and Coach K did nothing about it).

Isn't he like 80+?
I am all for the great coaches coaching but at some point you gotta let the new blood in.

Roy Wlliams is 70. Dean Smith retired at age 66. John Wooden retired at age 65.

That makes a big difference.
I had plans to go to UNC, but stayed home for school instead.

I hope the next coach can get the ship righted and get back to the top of the ACC & National scene.

Isn't he like 80+?
I see he's only 70, but I would have lost that bet and guessed closer to your post.

Odds to become next UNC coach
  • Hubert Davis: -110
  • Wes Miller: +350
  • Jerry Stackhouse: +1100
  • Steve Robinson: +2400
  • Jerod Haase: +4900
  • Scott Drew: +5200
  • Brad Stevens: +9000
  • Kenny Smith: +9900
  • Rick Pitino: +15000
  • Mark Turgeon: +17500
  • Larry Brown: +17500
  • Mark Few: +20000
  • Tyler Hansbrough: +2,500,000
  • Rasheed Wallace: +3,000,000
  • FIELD: +4800

Players are now concerned they may have to go to class so expect a mass exodus. :p Just kidding, never liked his teams but I liked Ol Roy!!!

Maybe UNC will offer Calipari a deal he can't refuse. 🤞

This makes my stomach churn a little and brings an acid burn to my throat. I hadn't thought of Matt Doherty in a long time before I read this, and I rather enjoyed that...but the handoff from Smith to Gutheridge, that was straight class.

This will be interesting.

Back