Review Tour Edge Exotics C721 Driver Review

Great thoughts here! Seems like all the ingredients are there to make this an incredible driver for Tour Edge.
I admit to thinking scrapping the 200 and Pro pretty much entirely was a mistake on their part. Then we saw the not so flattering computer images, and I thought it more.

But tech in action and in hand looks wise, it’s a jump for them. So far, it hits toe to toe with other current releases for me...and as forgiving as the 425 without that horrible sound.

I admit to thinking scrapping the 200 and Pro pretty much entirely was a mistake on their part. Then we saw the not so flattering computer images, and I thought it more.

But tech in action and in hand looks wise, it’s a jump for them. So far, it hits toe to toe with other current releases for me...and as forgiving as the 425 without that horrible sound.
I too was very surprised to hear that it was completely new from the 220 lineup, especially because I thought it looked fantastic, and by all accounts from those that tried it, it was a great performing driver.

But, it's about risk reward. Seems like the potential reward might have been worth that risk.

A question I've had in my head, and I only bring it up because Tour Edge, I believe, is one of the values in price for performance currently:

Does it hurt that the C721 is starting at $399, over the EXS220 that was $349? I'm sure they incurred some increases in cost due to the R&D spent on the C721, but will it affect those looking at new drivers? And keep in mind, this price point is now equal to the EXS220 pro, which if I remember correctly, included a limited production run.

With the price increase be a negative (it's now just more money)
A positive (It costs more so it must be better, aka, it's not cheap)
Or will it be a net zero change?

Sorry but what R&D? When is the conversation going to come up about how this driver is almost identical in design and appearance to the Tommy Armour 845 driver that came out last year? It's going to take a lot of convincing for me not to believe that they just used an open mold design from a foundry overseas.

It even shares the same sound and launch/spin characteristics as the 845.

DGIA3XJLSFHL~2.jpg
C721driver_top_1400x.jpg

Welp... ^^

A question I've had in my head, and I only bring it up because Tour Edge, I believe, is one of the values in price for performance currently:

Does it hurt that the C721 is starting at $399, over the EXS220 that was $349? I'm sure they incurred some increases in cost due to the R&D spent on the C721, but will it affect those looking at new drivers? And keep in mind, this price point is now equal to the EXS220 pro, which if I remember correctly, included a limited production run.

With the price increase be a negative (it's now just more money)
A positive (It costs more so it must be better, aka, it's not cheap)
Or will it be a net zero change?
I don’t think so given the gains they’ve made that are known now (performance) and the amount of tech and carbon in this one necessitate a jump. They and Mizuno still are the best values in drivers. It’s not a negative, people who hate on price will find something to hate on no matter what companies do.

Sorry but what R&D? When is the conversation going to come up about how this driver is almost identical in design and appearance to the Tommy Armour 845 driver that came out last year? It's going to take a lot of convincing for me not to believe that they just used an open mold design from a foundry overseas.

It even shares the same sound and launch/spin characteristics as the 845.

View attachment 8998522
View attachment 8998523
You mean besides sitting in the room with and interviewing the actual designers of the club?

The TA looks similar from the top, but doesn’t have as much carbon in it nor does it wrap as far. Those who want to find something can and will in any design, and from the top those look very similar, but they’re not the same nor is the C721 an open mold or net design.

I don’t think so given the gains they’ve made that are known now (performance) and the amount of tech and carbon in this one necessitate a jump. They and Mizuno still are the best values in drivers. It’s not a negative, people who hate on price will find something to hate on no matter what companies do.
Great stuff. I enjoy hearing others opinions on the matter. And I agree, still a great value, nothing changes that thought in my mind.

Great stuff. I enjoy hearing others opinions on the matter. And I agree, still a great value, nothing changes that thought in my mind.
Yup. It’s been a gradual climb for them as they’ve built their reputation up in driver performance. EXS was 299, 220 at 349, and C721 now at that 399 point. And each time the materials and tech have improved. It’s fun to see.

Also, even more testing this week on the BIG Tour by non-contract players. Believe one made it into play again?

You mean besides sitting in the room with and interviewing the actual designers of the club?

The TA looks similar from the top, but doesn’t have as much carbon in it nor does it wrap as far. Those who want to find something can and will in any design, and from the top those look very similar, but they’re not the same nor is the C721 an open mold or net design.

How can you say the 845 doesn't have as much carbon fiber? The panels wrap around the sides of the clubhead and underneath in the 845 driver just like they do on the TEE. If you really want to split hairs, maybe the 845 has slightly less carbon fiber but we don't know the actual amount and that isn't really relevant since the design is still practically the same overall.

When you sat in the room with the designers, did you specifically ask them if they built the design completely from scratch? Did you ask them if they worked directly with the foundry to custom make the tooling specifically for this club only? I'm sure you didn't and I'm sure they wouldn't volunteer that information anyway. I know it's pointless to argue with you as you seem to have an allegiance to the company in some way but you don't really have any more evidence than I do that they DIDN'T use an open mold design or borrow the design elements.

I'm not knocking TEE at all, in fact, I play the TEE EXS Pro driver and think it's fantastic. BUT let's also be honest that the sliding weight track on the EXS Pro looks practically identical to the track that Callaway used in the Epic drivers so there is a precedence that they "borrow" designs pretty close to other companies. It happens all the time in the industry which is why I have a feeling they used an open mold design or at least took "inspiration" from the 845 driver.

Taking mine out tomorrow. 10.5* with stiff Ventus Red Core 60. The Smoke Blue I was not sure about. Would like to hear opinions on it.

Taking mine out tomorrow. 10.5* with stiff Ventus Red Core 60. The Smoke Blue I was not sure about. Would like to hear opinions on it.
I think they did a great job selecting the Blue RDX for the upper swing speed segment, I don’t usually get on great with counter balanced shafts but this one had been fun. I’ve hit it in both 6.0 and 6.5 so far

When you sat in the room with the designers, did you specifically ask them if they built the design completely from scratch? Did you ask them if they worked directly with the foundry to custom make the tooling specifically for this club only? I'm sure you didn't and I'm sure they wouldn't volunteer that information anyway. I know it's pointless to argue with you as you seem to have an allegiance to the company in some way but you don't really have any more evidence than I do that they DIDN'T use an open mold design or borrow the design elements.

Not speaking to the carbon argument, but i can say I asked them this exact question yesterday morning, as we were speaking about the face and weight shifting and was told this was designed in house and Matt and David created this.

There was no catalogued head used or in any of their in line products.

EDIT: And just to split hairs, the carbon wrap between the two drivers are not really all that similar or close in both amount use or design. They both wrap around the driver, but the TA stops well short of where this one goes. That may matter to some and not to others, not for me to decide, but pretty different heads overall.

I think they did a great job selecting the Blue RDX for the upper swing speed segment, I don’t usually get on great with counter balanced shafts but this one had been fun. I’ve hit it in both 6.0 and 6.5 so far
I had you picked for a 6.5 guy. I’m curious on the shaft options. I would have gone Ventus red 60 but I seem to get along better with lower torque. We will know soon enough.

I had you picked for a 6.5 guy. I’m curious on the shaft options. I would have gone Ventus red 60 but I seem to get along better with lower torque. We will know soon enough.
For reviews I play what comes in, we usually get S in most and it’s easy for me to adjust, I just happen to also have a 6.5 here for another driver and have swung it a fair bit as well. Plus, people over tiny the effect of the shaft in a lot of ways imo.
I’d love to hear the thoughts of someone out there who liked the yellow and what they think of the blue.

For reviews I play what comes in, we usually get S in most and it’s easy for me to adjust, I just happen to also have a 6.5 here for another driver and have swung it a fair bit as well. Plus, people over tiny the effect of the shaft in a lot of ways imo.
I’d love to hear the thoughts of someone out there who liked the yellow and what they think of the blue.
Only hzrdus shaft I have experience with is the original smoke black in a driver and still have one in 3 wood.

Currently play the Smoke yellow, so I'm excited and intrigued by the blue and how it performs comparatively. Going to be a fun test!

I didn't just like the original yellow, its what my custom PX shaft was designed from. I'll have some thoughts soon. Oddly enough in my limited time with it I actually preferred the black:oops:

I didn't just like the original yellow, its what my custom PX shaft was designed from. I'll have some thoughts soon. Oddly enough in my limited time with it I actually preferred the black:oops:

Hahahaha, I cannot wait to hear what you think of this one.

This one continues to impress me. It’s ironic that the two heads I’ve been most impressed with are both 399 to be honest.

1) It’s not a rip off, net design, or whatever. It’s a damn well designed driver that offers another pathway to performance that’s different thank how some others are doing it, yet effective still.

2) The sound here is still enamoring to me. The 220 was good, this is better. The Pro was a step back from the 220 last year, but this finds the balance of lower spin and keeping a feel that’s powerful yet not empty or hollow.

3) Speed potential is there. Is it fastest I’ve hit? Not sure, but it’s among the upper tier for sure.

4) Diamond face 2.0 is a hoot, the ball wants to be in play. I can still hook it or cut it on a bad swing, sure, but the stability on those misses of the head stands out to me. Curious to see the spin info on well struck shots and misses to see what the retention is.

Had a chance to see them the C721 line this past week. They look really good. Would have loved to demo them, but wasn’t able to. Especially want to try the Ventus Red 4T core 60 Stiff shaft.

I have several Tour Edge clubs in my bag now. An EX 10 16.5 4 wood, an XCG7 21 deg. 7 wood and an XCG7 28 deg. hybrid. Both of the XCG7 clubs were added to my bag this past year, both new old stock and both with the Fujikura Fuel 60 S shaft. Liked the shaft so much that I bought another and put it into the 4 wood.

In my garage are a number of Tour Edge Drivers that I’ve played around with XCG7, E8, E9 & E10 both regular and Beta versions. Just hadn’t found the one that performs for me like their fairway woods and hybrids. My Ping G410 LST has been a strong performer and is likely to stay in the bag for a little while longer.

The price discussion is interesting in that Tour Edge used to have a very premium price for their CBX and Exotics line, especially their XJ1 which was introduced with a price of $599 in 2017. Not unlike PXG. But in recent years has reduced their prices and increased volume.

The Hot Launch line always delivered great performance at a value price and the Bazooka line was very inexpensive. The new E521 & C521 lines are a big step up for them in this value segment in terms of design, technology and looks.

Tour Edge has typically installed fewer choices but better quality shafts than other golf manufacturers. The reputation among fitters was that Tour Edge made for shafts were stiffer than similar shafts from other golf club builders.

Glad to see Tour Edge getting some well deserved recognition and enjoying success with their latest product launches. Best wishes for continued success.

This one continues to impress me. It’s ironic that the two heads I’ve been most impressed with are both 399 to be honest.

1) It’s not a rip off, net design, or whatever. It’s a damn well designed driver that offers another pathway to performance that’s different thank how some others are doing it, yet effective still.

2) The sound here is still enamoring to me. The 220 was good, this is better. The Pro was a step back from the 220 last year, but this finds the balance of lower spin and keeping a feel that’s powerful yet not empty or hollow.

3) Speed potential is there. Is it fastest I’ve hit? Not sure, but it’s among the upper tier for sure.

4) Diamond face 2.0 is a hoot, the ball wants to be in play. I can still hook it or cut it on a bad swing, sure, but the stability on those misses of the head stands out to me. Curious to see the spin info on well struck shots and misses to see what the retention is.
Reading your thoughts on this line really is just wetting my appetite to get this one in my bag and try it out. Having played with you in the past and how you play even more so makes me want to step up to the Tee with this in my hands....

Following and really enjoying this thread @Jman. I'm a big fan of TourEdge and love my EXS driver. Your early thoughts that the C721 is a little more forgiving and perhaps a bit longer are music to my ears. I'm hoping to get a look at it in person and maybe get a few swings in with it. But, I'll have to travel a good ways to a bigger market than Pensacola. LOL

Back