Tough Summer Has To Get Better

OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
So, I've been kind of quiet here on the forum so far this summer, I've checked in daily, and posted when I could, but not like normal, so a belated congrats to all the contest winners and Experience participants I've missed. The last month of summer has to be better than what I've gone through so far, because June, July, and the first half of August have been brutal.

June:
I started out the summer with a mild case of COVID, not really a big deal, but had to quarantine for 10 days until I got a negative test. Right after that my Mom, who was in hospice for cancer, but doing well considering, was attacked by a dog and ended up in the hospital with severe bites on both wrists/forearms. That prompted us to move her from my niece's house in Oklahoma, where she had been living for almost a year, to a care home in San Antonio, so she would have more around the clock care available, and to be close to my sister and her family. I traveled to San Antonio to help get her settled into her new place, which went pretty well.

July:
Getting home from San Antonio I had hopes of a July with lots of golf, time in the mountains hiking and kayaking, and just getting into some summer good times. Well that didn't work out, around the second week of July I started feeling really bad, high fever, headaches, upper chest congestion, and cough. No way I could have COVID again, but the symptoms were all there for a bad case. Nope, three negative tests said it wasn't COVID, first doctor visit they were saying maybe Influenza "A", which was going around, but next doctor visit, and a chest x-ray determined I had Pneumonia! So there goes July, sick with Pneumonia for four weeks.

August:
So while I'm still sick with Pneumonia, my Mom takes a turn for the worse. She was going downhill fast, and I couldn't travel back to San Antonio to see her. My sister and two of her daughters were there, and my brother was able to get there too. Mom passed on the 10th, another case of how cancer sucks, but I was able to get back to Oklahoma last week for the funeral.

We have about another month left of summer, it has to get better, right? I was able to get away after work yesterday for a round of golf, I hadn't picked up a club in over a month, so of course I had a great round. I shot an 83 (tied my best score on this course), and missed getting my first ace by about six inches. How does that happen? I'm not quite all the way back from the Pneumonia yet, I still get winded pretty easy, the lung capacity just isn't all there yet, but I otherwise feel pretty good.

I'm really going to try to put all the bad stuff behind me, and move on with a positive attitude, hanging around here on THP should help with that.

Here’s to brighter days ahead. Very sorry to hear about your mother’s passing.

Dang... that's rough. Condolences on the passing of your mom.

I've had a weird, rollercoaster summer as well. Finally played golf 6 or 7 weeks in a row. Bookended an 82 & 86 with 4 straight 100's, o 4 different courses... then the wheels totally came off last Friday. I didn't even total the back 9, let alone want to think about it...

A look toward the future for better times. Sorry to hear about family.

I'm so sorry to hear you couldn't be with your mother when she passed. Sounds like you have a great attitude moving forward, and that led to a great round, and likely many more this year!

So sorry for your loss and everything you've dealt with recently. That's a lot to handle. Here's to some better days ahead

Very sorry to hear what you have been going through, and condolences for your loss. Just keep doing the right things, and keep trying. That is what I have been working on daily. I've been battling a back injury and subsequent surgery since March, and it has very much tested my mental endurance over and over again. At the end of the day, my answer is to just keep going, and know I've given my best effort, and that has to be good enough.

We all fight battles that no one else sees. Glad to have you posting here on THP. This forum has given me moments of sanity time and time again, I appreciate all of our membership for that.

My condolences for the loss of your mom. Hopefully you're back to full health soon.

Sorry to hear about your mom, hope you get back to good.

Sincerely sorry for the loss of your mom. Here's to better times ahead, and your full recovery!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Summer isn't over yet, so some good times should be had in the next month, and then there is the cooler weather of Fall to look forward to. :drinks:

Here's hoping the worst is behind you. I know that we have had a few family members get COVID, we had a move (and another in a few short months), and 3 surgeries between my wife, daughter and me. On the bright side, both daughters - got new jobs with much better salaries and I got a new position in my company delaying my retirement (both good and bad).

So, I have great empathy for the issues you have faced and continue to face that great score - may it be a look at more positives in your life. Also, very sorry to learn of your Mom's passing.

Wow...I hope your summer does get better. Condolences for your mom.

Sorry about your Mom and everything else that's been thrown at you this summer 🙏🏻

here's hoping brighter days are ahead 👊🏻

Condolences, hope things get better for you.

Sorry about your mom, lost my step mom and mom 5 weeks apart back in 2019. Step mom to cancer, or rather the treatment.
Summer's almost over.... Here's to a great fall!
Hope you're feeling better and ready for fall hiking and trout fishing.
What part of the Sierra foothills are you in?
We lived on the other side in Mammoth for few years. Fall is my favorite time for high country. Cold nights knock out the skeeters...

Sorry to hear it's been a rough go, and sorry especially to hear about your mom. Hoping for better days ahead soon for you!

So sorry to hear about your mom:( Hope your health continues to improve and better days ahead.

Sorry, man. I hate these times of strife.

May your mom’s spirit guide you to to better times…

Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and the Family @OldeDude I can understand how rough it has been and hope there is much better coming for you. Here to talk if you ever want to vent

I am sorry to hear this my friend. Losing a parent is tough and being sick sucks.

Back