Total distance question

The sucky thing about almost all fittings. They are done with a 7 iron. Most almost never hit long irons. Do you hit the 7 irons relatively good. The set shows up and the person is like “what the hell” I can’t hit this 5 iron I was fit for. Well, you were really fit for a 7 iron and hoped it worked for the whole set.

I am sure some fitters account for this but it can be hard depending on fitting carts and what is available.
Exactly how it went but the slow swing speed shouldn't be a thing. He is usually a club longer than me. Like I hit my 9i 135 he hits his 145 so not sure why he wouldn't have the swing speed to use long irons.

I have a solid 10 to 15 yard gap with my long irons up to 5i like 165 7i 175 6i and 190ish 5i.

Exactly how it went but the slow swing speed shouldn't be a thing. He is usually a club longer than me. Like I hit my 9i 135 he hits his 145 so not sure why he wouldn't have the swing speed to use long irons.

I have a solid 10 to 15 yard gap with my long irons up to 5i like 165 7i 175 6i and 190ish 5i.
Then contact is the issue. And the fix to me, remains the same..

The thing is he has plenty of swing speed. He swings faster than me
He said he carries driver 200 yards. Either he makes terrible contact all the time, or he isn't really swinging very fast. Either way, I still recommend hybrids or high-lofted fairway woods as they are much easier to hit and get the ball in the air. No sense making the game harder than it has to be.

So my 5,6 and 7 iron go roughly the same distance and was wondering if anyone knew why? If this a swing issue?

Also, when I hit driver I can only carry 200 yards for a total of 230. I tried 5-6 drivers on the Trackman and my spin would be 2k for some drivers and 6k for other drivers. However, I would get the same distance (roughly) for all of them.

Can anyone help me out here? Like what do I need to do to correct this? I also only hit my 2i 210 while my 5,6,7 roughly go 185.

I did this test with @pumbaa at golf galaxy and it has had me stunned since we left.
So unless you have some crazy amount of roll out on your 9I, you only carry your driver 55 yards longer than your 9I? And if you do have some long roll out on you 9, its not a good fit. It just doesnt make sense. At 64 yrs old, Current data tracking says I carry (and drop and stop) my 38* Apex DCB 9I 143. I carry my driver 232 for a total 259. And thats hoovering around an old man 100 mph swing.

Hitting you 9 so far and hitting your driver so short, if they are quality strikes, shows some serious fitting issues. But I am thinking you are probably delofting the irons if the driver strikes are decent. You need to get on a Trackman and find your dynamic loft, AOA where on the face you are hitting it, etc.

He said he carries driver 200 yards. Either he makes terrible contact all the time, or he isn't really swinging very fast. Either way, I still recommend hybrids or high-lofted fairway woods as they are much easier to hit and get the ball in the air. No sense making the game harder than it has to be.
I will get him on mlm2 and get data because he can hit his driver longer than 200 he has a tendency to hit his driver short because he puts all the freaking spin in the world on his driver sometimes. I've seen 5500 rpm on his drives before. Hopefully this week I have data for people.

So unless you have some crazy amount of roll out on your 9I, you only carry your driver 55 yards longer than your 9I? And if you do have some long roll out on you 9, its not a good fit. It just doesnt make sense. At 64 yrs old, Current data tracking says I carry (and drop and stop) my 38* Apex DCB 9I 143. I carry my driver 232 for a total 259. And thats hoovering around an old man 100 mph swing.

Hitting you 9 so far and hitting your driver so short, if they are quality strikes, shows some serious fitting issues. But I am thinking you are probably delofting the irons if the driver strikes are decent. You need to get on a Trackman and find your dynamic loft, AOA where on the face you are hitting it, etc.
Agree. Driver carry of just 55 yards longer than a 9 iron is a bad fit or something really wrong with driver fit, shaft, or consistently bad contact. My carry gap between 9 iron and driver is 105 yards which works out to a 15 yard gap per club on average.

As someone mentioned, the lofts could be off. On the rare occasion I get new irons, I alway have the lofts and lies checked. More often than not, they are off.

Do you know what the ratio is? For example, if I carry my 9-iron "x" yards, I should carry my driver "y" yards.
With all the different lofts of irons it’s not the same for everyone. My driver carry is about 76% greater than my 9 iron but I bet for many longer hitting players it’s double what their 9 iron is.

IMO, the most important thing is yardage gapping. All my gaps are 13-15 yards.

First off, I wish had the same problem.....sort of. I could use the extra yards.

Just a guess, as Im going off when I had the same problem, but it sounds like the OP is adding more loft to his irons at impact. My problem at the time was due to a casting problem in the down swing. I also also had a scooping problem, losing the lag ( wrist cock) to early.

Seeing the iron swings on slo mo video would be a good thing.

At any rate, a swing problem is causing the 5, 6, and 7 irons to be impacting the ball at basically the same loft.

With the irons, make sure the hands should be a little in front of the club head at impact.

I'd tried slower 1/2-3/4 swings with each iron making sure the hands were leading the club head through impact.

A good drill is to slowly drag the club head, lightly on the turf, behind the hands through the hitting zone, to get the feel of the hands leading the club head.

I can put him on mlm pro 2.
This would be productive I think.

Reading through the rest of the thread, I would echo a lot of the sentiments. Hitting a 9i 145 and a Driver 230 is definitely odd. Napkin math says the driver should be ~2x the 9i in distance.

If the 5 and 6 iron have seemingly appropriate ball speed gaps, then I'd guess it's a launch/height issue. If the 5 and 6 iron have an insufficient ball speed gap, then I'd guess it's a strike issue.

So my 5,6 and 7 iron go roughly the same distance and was wondering if anyone knew why? If this a swing issue?

Also, when I hit driver I can only carry 200 yards for a total of 230. I tried 5-6 drivers on the Trackman and my spin would be 2k for some drivers and 6k for other drivers. However, I would get the same distance (roughly) for all of them.

Can anyone help me out here? Like what do I need to do to correct this? I also only hit my 2i 210 while my 5,6,7 roughly go 185.

I did this test with @pumbaa at golf galaxy and it has had me stunned since we left.
You are not delivering the club to the ball in an optimal way to optimize the 5, 6, 7 irons, and/or your swing speed may be an issue.

Same basic answer - I think - for the driver. Normally we might expect to see different distances with the different spin rates. The fact you aren't is a clue there's an issue in how you are delivering the club to the ball. Maybe out to in. Maybe too flat or even swinging down.

No offense intended but - like most of the rest of us - it does not sound like you are ready to have a 2i in your bag.

I will get him on mlm2 and get data because he can hit his driver longer than 200 he has a tendency to hit his driver short because he puts all the freaking spin in the world on his driver sometimes. I've seen 5500 rpm on his drives before. Hopefully this week I have data for people.
That much spin with driver...swing issue resulting in poor delivery of the club to the ball. Whatever that issue is will clue us in to the long iron cause.

Then how do I? I'm so lost here he definitely swings faster than me.

Ball flight matters. The reason many amateurs hit all their long irons the same distance is because they are unable to get them to stay in the air long enough. Hitting the ball harder will get it to stay in the air longer but so will presenting more loft. Thus, if you are a high ball flight golfer you can get away (at least distance wise) with playing longer irons than a low ball flight golfer.

The sucky thing about almost all fittings. They are done with a 7 iron. Most almost never hit long irons. Do you hit the 7 irons relatively good. The set shows up and the person is like “what the hell” I can’t hit this 5 iron I was fit for. Well, you were really fit for a 7 iron and hoped it worked for the whole set.

I am sure some fitters account for this but it can be hard depending on fitting carts and what is available.

When I get a new set, I'm just going to tell them to order single irons: 7, 8, 9, P, G. No longer do you get any kind of discount for buying a "set" anyway. With irons costing $170+ ea nowadays, why pay for two clubs I'm never going to use? That money could go toward a new hybrid or 9W when the set comes in.

When I get a new set, I'm just going to tell them to order single irons: 7, 8, 9, P, G. No longer do you get any kind of discount for buying a "set" anyway. With irons costing $170+ ea nowadays, why pay for two clubs I'm never going to use? That money could go toward a new hybrid or 9W when the set comes in.
170/club is a discount set these days!! 😂

170/club is a discount set these days!! 😂

That was direct from Srixon. If you buy direct from Takomo you can get a set for even less.

I had the same distance in 5i and 6i with the T150, so we split the set at 5i to get more ball speed. When I played the ZX5's, we had to go a degree stronger on the long irons to get the distance gaps correct. Hope you get it worked out @Nick Kane, I'm sure it'll just be a small tweak.

Back