Top three tour pros you root for and why?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I watch the tour avidly and bet on it in the majors (legally) and got to thinking can I narrow down my favorite tour pros to three and why?

1. Rory McIlroy as he has persevered, has incredible talent (destroyed Congressional in an Open I watched) and seems to have matured. Plus I am 1/2 Irish. I believe some great days are ahead of him and he may come back strong at Augusta.
2. Denny McCarthy developed out of Argyle CC in Silver Spring where I am a former member and son still is, and hits balls and plays occasionally with my son. Wonderful young man, took the covid positive test that probably cost him FedEX top 70 with class, and is a Virginia 4 year graduate (Anthropology of all things) and led tour in SG putting two years in a row. Sits 6th going into the weekend in Bermuda and works very hard on his game. Former winner on other tours. He will win in the next year IMO.
The next could be anyone of 20.
3. Is harder to pick - I was originally going to go with Dustin Johnson as he has really endured many ups and downs and handles things it seems with class, and also, Jon Rahm, like DJ is an incredible talent, albeit with a fiery demeanor. However, I am go to with Bryson DeChambeau right now, as despite some rough edges on his personality is bringing new and revolutionary thinking into the game and seems to be slowly maturing and I think overall is good for the game. Plus I favor his hat style :) As a sports medicine doctor I do worry about some of the rumors out there but right now have to give him the benefit of the doubt and he does have access to a great trainer and team and his work ethic is bar none (except maybe Tiger still). However, there are these kind of stories (besides Asinger's recent tweet) - for golf sake I hope totally unfounded. At this point I am sticking with BD.

Last edited:
1. Webb Simpson - Kind of my spirit animal on tour if I could drive it straighter. I am good from 200 in (not to his level, but compared to people of my handicap) and we both do well when we get hot on the green. I also think he models his faith well and treats people around him kind.

2. Justin Thomas - Louisville local and one of the best in the world. I also like his style and his attitude. He has the right amount of edge IMO.

3. DJ - I used to think he was somewhat of a clown, but really good at golf. The more I learn about him the more I think he just came from a really tough background where he had no proper behavior modeled for him. The PGA Tour is clueless about kids that come from poor backgrounds and broken homes. The Tour should have taken more care of DJ when he was young. I think Wayne Gretzky has done most of the polishing of DJ and now he is a better man and still a dynamite golfer. He also handles people talking bad about him with class and dignity which is hard to find in this day and age.

1. Webb Simpson - Kind of my spirit animal on tour if I could drive it straighter. I am good from 200 in (not to his level, but compared to people of my handicap) and we both do well when we get hot on the green. I also think he models his faith well and treats people around him kind.

2. Justin Thomas - Louisville local and one of the best in the world. I also like his style and his attitude. He has the right amount of edge IMO.

3. DJ - I used to think he was somewhat of a clown, but really good at golf. The more I learn about him the more I think he just came from a really tough background where he had no proper behavior modeled for him. The PGA Tour is clueless about kids that come from poor backgrounds and broken homes. The Tour should have taken more care of DJ when he was young. I think Wayne Gretzky has done most of the polishing of DJ and now he is a better man and still a dynamite golfer. He also handles people talking bad about him with class and dignity which is hard to find in this day and age.
Those are very fine choices - I strongly considered last two and WS is a class act.

I've watched very little golf this year, or the last 4-5 years to be honest.

I did follow the US Open this year, but only because of Bryson's mockery of the status quo.

1. Georgia Hall. Saw her play the 2017 Women's British Open (her first time on a big stage) and basically instantly became a huge fan. Followed he career closely ever since. Openly wept when she won the 2018 Women's British Open.

2. Brooke Henderson. Obviously I am a bigger LPGA than PGA fan. Having seen her live in 4 different tournaments, her attitiude and personality in person are both wonderful. Plus, she can play a little golf. :)

3. Brooks Koepka. Like me, he cares only about Majors. I just like he seemingly don't give a damn attitude and he always call it like he sees it. No sugar coating for Brooks.

Those are very fine choices - I strongly considered last two and WS is a class act.
I really like all the Tour players except for Koepka. I just don't like his attitude.

I really like all the Tour players except for Koepka. I just don't like his attitude.
Agree although I think he does say things to try to get an edge - a guy named Tiger could do in a more subtle way in the day and even Jack would say in majors only a few could win.

1. Georgia Hall. Saw her play the 2017 Women's British Open (her first time on a big stage) and basically instantly became a huge fan. Followed he career closely ever since. Openly wept when she won the 2018 Women's British Open.

2. Brooke Henderson. Obviously I am a bigger LPGA than PGA fan. Having seen her live in 4 different tournaments, her attitiude and personality in person are both wonderful. Plus, she can play a little golf. :)

Fair enough I caddied some for LPGA at Ohio tourneys in the day and still pull for that tour and it has great talent. Love to see Wi compete again especially.

3. Brooks Koepka. Like me, he cares only about Majors. I just like he seemingly don't give a damn attitude and he always call it like he sees it. No sugar coating for Brooks.

Rory - amazing talent and always seems to be in the mix, even when he's not playing his best. And my wife thinks he's cute.
Rickie - not sure why, I'm just a fan
Phil - always loved the attitude that he can invent a shot. Sometimes I try to follow this example. I can't.

1. Phil Mickelson. Many brand him as a phony but I'll take his kind of phony, if he is that, that pretends to be a nice guy with smiles, handshakes, etc. any day. I like his "gambler" style, his do it his way approach, and the fact that compared to just about any other touring pro he has done more golf tip and instructional videos than any other.
2. Jordan Spieth just because he is a Dallas native and I'm rooting for him to get his game back.
3. Brittany Lang on the LPGA. She comes from the town I live in, used to belong to and play at the same CC I belonged to years ago.

1. Tiger - just because of the all time greatness. Something you don’t see a lot in your life and always most exciting when he is on top of his game.

2. Ricky - Love his personality. Just seems like a good guy and want to see him get a major.

3. DJ - Mostly because he is an athletic freak. Some of the stuff he does on the course is just amazing. Right up their with Tiger in his prime. I’ve always been amazed he hasn’t won more. Just seems like he doesn’t have the focus to close all the time.

JT- just seems like a fun person and he has a great game.

Patrick Reed- controversial on this forum. Many haters. Seems to thrive with haters talking smack to him.

Bryson- see above. He’s quirky, so what. He does things his way. Haters, doubters, he has thrived when others said it wouldn’t work.

DJ, just a freak of nature talent wise, doesn't seem to let many things bother and Paulina sure fills out a skirt.
JT, Dad is/was a teaching pro but gave him little instruction set him on the range & let him go. Plus taking money from Michael Jordan while in high school is a stamp of approval.
Kevin Na, just recently. I totally understand his struggles taking the driver back with the way I've been struggling with it.

Harry Higgs, I really like this guy, so easy to root for.
Pat Perez, plays fast and I like his show "Out of Bounds"
Chris Kirk, love his swing and tempo.

JT- just seems like a fun person and he has a great game.

Patrick Reed- controversial on this forum. Many haters. Seems to thrive with haters talking smack to him.

Bryson- see above. He’s quirky, so what. He does things his way. Haters, doubters, he has thrived when others said it wouldn’t work.
Ha ha I like Reed and Bryson as well. I think with Reed it stems from his Ryder Cup persona. Seems like a proud American and I like that. I also like he doesn't give a hoot what others think. Not a big fan of the bunker deal though.

Bryson, I love the approach to the game. I love that it bothers people so much that he's just throwing their notion of the game on its head.

Also Jordan, seems like such a nice kid. I really really hope he gets his game back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tiger Woods because I was at the 1996 GMO

Rory because he hits it far.

DJ because he hits it far.

Fowler
Mickelson
Cantlay

I like their demeanors.

Last edited:
Phil Mickelson-2nd favorite golfer of all time. #1 is the true GOAT-Jack Nicklaus.
Nick Watney and Byson DeChambeau are 2 and 3. Both I consider local guys. Nick played at Fresno State and Bryson is from Clovis, Ca.

Tiger because he did what he did for the game.
Duffer because he just seems to not care
Na because he beat his demons

Bryson because he’s pushing the limits and doing things differently.

Tiger because I want to root for the guy that’s done so much in his career. I want to see him get a few more wins before he’s done.

Jordan Spieth because he showed so much potential to be the next Tiger before the wheels fell off.

There are plenty more, but I think those are my top 3 at the moment.

Antoine Rozner; SebastianSoderberg; Wil Besseling ..... all ranked top 200 in the world and a household name in their own homes.

Kevin Streelman because he’s a decent golfer and a great person.

Ricky Barnes because he has had more than 300 tour starts without a victory.

Tony Finau because I’m pulling for him to finally play well on a Sunday.

All great choices!

Back