Toe Hang vs. Face Balance - Can YOU tell a difference

Absolutely can tell the difference. Starting direction is much more inconsistent for me with any amount of toe hang.

So I won a FB Odyssey 7 versa putter which always felt too light and I just swapped out the weights and the head feels much more stable now and will definitely try it this season.

For whatever reason, with my Taylormade Spider, my misses are primarily left (a pull) and now I realize it is a toe-hang putter when balancing it on my hands. Could this pull be from it being a toe-hang? Would a face balanced putter mitigate this pull?

side note - I consider myself a pretty good putter especially when judging distance. Just not sure if I am overthinking this FB VS. TH thing...

After messing with 7’s of all three neck flavors, side by side, I’m a 100% believer. I could “make” the slant and face balanced models work, but the middle of the road plumbers neck is king for me. All I was looking for was the line on the ball rolling perfect.

Interestingly when I picked up my NP2 again, it was night and day difference with it.

My putter fitting suggested a face balanced putter would suit me best and I definitely prefer a heavier head. Otherwise, I make these pretty figure 8 patterns with the putter head. I found a PXG Lightning model that pretty much fits the bill.

On the other hand, I really prefer a blade or deeper flanged blade to look at, a difficult model to find with balanced face. I discovered a compromise. I got a Cleveland Huntington Beach #10. It's basically a blade behind the ball, but the heel and toe have deep flanges, sort of a horseshoe looking thing. It has just the slightest toe hang, so I helped nearly balance it with some lead tape on the heel.

Distance judgement has been good so far and I do something REALLY old fashioned that this putter does very well. On short putts, let's say 2'-3', I'll often line up the putt off the toe of the putter and deaden the strike hitting the ball off the toe. I rarely miss that way.

I'll be 75 in a couple weeks and I've been doing that all my life. With this Cleveland putter, I may have stumbled across the perfect platform for everything I need to accomplish my best putting. I have an embarrassing collection of putters. I'll pull out something different occasionally, but I keep going back to the Cleveland.

I can tell the difference with a putter that has too much toe hang. I will consistently miss left with that kind of putter.
This ^^^

I am a SBST putter and I always feel like I'm fighting anything toe hang on the takeaway.

Last edited:
Back