Titleist Suing Golf Ball Companies

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
Interesting stuff.

Golf ball wars aren't anything new or exclusive to Titleist. Patent side of that segment is crazy.

What I found most interesting is that all 10 had the same manufacturer, dimple pattern and cover thickness. I seem to remember saying they were all very similar, but I've read some pretty definitive reviews stating otherwise :comp:

GoldMedal.jpg

different but the same

Yea i thought it was interesting the balls were made by the same company for all of them. Wonder what really is the difference besides logo's and markings. I was thinking the Monsta's are playing similar to the Lightning ball.
Interesting stuff.

Golf ball wars aren't anything new or exclusive to Titleist. Patent side of that segment is crazy.

Interesting stuff.

Understatement.
I heard about this previously and honestly didnt think it was worth reporting, but I know Ryan (reporter of this thread) is newer to the equipment side. All of these small companies are making the balls in the same plant, many with the same schematics. I wont comment on the patent side of it, but as you mentioned, its nothing knew to Titleist and they have been on both the winning and losing side of this one quite a bit.

Not surprised to see this. Didn't realize so many get made in the same place though. really makes you wonder how much is mental/perceived vs actual differences in performance among "similar" balls.

Understatement.
I heard about this previously and honestly didnt think it was worth reporting, but I know Ryan (reporter of this thread) is newer to the equipment side. All of these small companies are making the balls in the same plant, many with the same schematics. I wont comment on the patent side of it, but as you mentioned, its nothing knew to Titleist and they have been on both the winning and losing side of this one quite a bit.

Weird how that works. Man, I heard some were higher launching, felt better or worse, flew shorter, putted worse (how does that work?), shined around the greens, etc. All along they were just the same damn ball :)

I must admit to having been curious about the smaller ball companies and their products. I have to believe that producing golf balls requires a lot of expensive equipment and it did not seem reasonable that small companies could manufacture in volumes that could be sustained. So I am not surprised that many balls come out of the same factory.

Well it makes sense that the balls seem the same. I totally understand protecting intellectual property and all, but if they win the suit it could sink a lot of these companies not to mention put them in jeopardy just for having to deal with the legal issue.

Weird how that works. Man, I heard some were higher launching, felt better or worse, flew shorter, putted worse (how does that work?), shined around the greens, etc. All along they were just the same damn ball :)

The placebo effect must be strong with some places (and I dont mean THPers).
Looking foolish gets practiced a lot by some places on the interwebz.

I hereby proclaim Mercury Sable the winner of the Sable/Taurus Showdown.

This just seems silly to me. It's like a basketball manufacturer suing another basketball manufacturer. There's only so much you can do design wise with something that has such a singular purpose.

This just seems silly to me. It's like a basketball manufacturer suing another basketball manufacturer. There's only so much you can do design wise with something that has such a singular purpose.

If one Basketball manufacturer creates an approval ball that arcs better and performs superior they absolutely have the right to protect themselves, especially considering the amount of money spent on r&d in creating new products. If these ball companies didn't die their due diligence in making sure the product they were selling wasn't infringing on intellectual property then they deserve what's coming.

If one Basketball manufacturer creates an approval ball that arcs better and performs superior they absolutely have the right to protect themselves, especially considering the amount of money spent on r&d in creating new products. If these ball companies didn't die their due diligence in making sure the product they were selling wasn't infringing on intellectual property then they deserve what's coming.
True. But we all know that would never happen with a basketball. Just saying. Phyicics doesnt change.

I guess u was more thinking about the outside of the golf ball. But if it's about the core than I can certainly see where someone could make a big stink.

Let's all start a ball company. You just call the same guy Monstah, Rife and 3Up are using.

Let's all start a ball company. You just call the same guy Monstah, Rife and 3Up are using.

The irony is that the factory is very accessible.

I assume I just send them a hi-res logo and a few bucks and I am in business.

Minimums and sampling can get expensive early on, but if you sell some quickly, you can get that covered. Similar factory is producing some of the small company clubs too.

Minimums and sampling can get expensive early on, but if you sell some quickly, you can get that covered. Similar factory is producing some of the small company clubs too.
Ricky, I need a Prestige Worldwide Golf Co. logo, stat!

True. But we all know that would never happen with a basketball. Just saying. Phyicics doesnt change.

I guess u was more thinking about the outside of the golf ball. But if it's about the core than I can certainly see where someone could make a big stink.
There is plenty with the outside - materials, thickness, design - to make a big stink about this (at least in my opinion)

There is plenty with the outside - materials, thickness, design - to make a big stink about this (at least in my opinion)
I don't know, maybe there is. I guess I am old school and a golf ball is a golf ball. Sure ones do more of what you want but when it all comes down to it the goal is the same. All you need is a little patience and practice.

Back