Time Management for Golf

Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
We were just having a discussion in the Pondering Thread about how we budget our time to golf. A few of us are in college and we still find time to golf. I know for me, I do it on the weekends.

I am in college, and while my weekdays are incredibly busy, I usually find that weekend afternoons are a perfect time for me to golf. I try my best to get my homework done during the week, and that leaves my weekends empty. While my friends are busy with their homework before we go out at night, I find that I can go out and play 18.

Last semester I also scheduled my classes so that I had no classes on Tuesday until 3:30, so I could play on Tuesday mornings. With that I could usually play 2-3 rounds per week and hope to this semester as well.

So after all that I guess my question is: How often do you play golf and how do you budget your time in order to do so? Is it skipping out of work early some days, being extra busy during the week so you are free on the weekend, or something else?

I was able to make my schedule work in four days, Monday to Thursday. Allows for golf mostly on Fridays, then Saturday/Sunday homework.

hopefully once i get my license (end of this month) i'll be able to start playing after school in the summer, and a few times of week during vacation

School and work come before golf. Especially school. Golf is something we can do for the rest our lives. So if school gets in the way of tee times, look at the big picture.

For those of us with families, it's much tougher.

We have to remember that time on the course is time we're not spending with our children or spouses. It's not all about us. With that said, time to do things you enjoy is also important. So a definite balance has to be achieved.

For me, if my work schedule allows me to get out during the week (rare), that's the best situation since that doesn't detract from family time. Otherwise, I can generally play two or three times a month on the weekend. I'm trying to increase that as much as I can for Morgan Cup prep, but there's only so much I can do.

School and work come before golf. Especially school. Golf is something we can do for the rest our lives. So if school gets in the way of tee times, look at the big picture.

Wise words Blu.

It really depends on what your responsibilities are. This past year my weekends were mostly spent taking care of my son, and weekend golf was rare. I managed to play a Tuesday night league for a few weeks, bit had to sacrifice another Tuesday night activity to do so.

Great Thread Charlie.

Last semester, I was able to make my schedule so that I got out of class at 2 Wednesday and Friday, so I could go play then. Along with once on the weekened. So 2,3, even 4 times a week maybe. However, this years semester has made that difficult. So I really only have Friday and the weekend to play. So really, I'm going to play once a week and try and refocus on school.

When I was in college I was on the golf team so I never had that issue. When Golf wasn't my job and I was single I just played when I wasn't working or hanging with my better half. But now with two kids, a career and other interest I try to play at least once a week before work and hit the range at night. Ill have one or two weekend getaways with THPrs or close friends. I don't play as much as I'd like but I've played a life time and I have other priorities now.

I admire what you are doing and taking college seriously. Golf is a passion for you and while you are young you should fit it in when ever possible.

I work from home so it really just depends on how much work I have to do & how often I want to play. don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to play 7 days a week but having a newborn child is pretty exhausting & sometimes getting some much needed sleep prevails over everything

I work 50-70 hour weeks, and 40 of those hours are between mon-thrs night (5-3am) and the rest is flexible, I go in as needed to get some paper work and ordering done... so I stay flexible on weekends and mornings.
Golf happens when I have free time, and fortunately most of my free time is in the AM's

One would think being with my career I'd have all the free time in the world to go out and play on my 8 days off every two weeks, but that isn't the always true. I try and play during the week and can usually get out every other week for a round but with three acres to maintain(garden, chickens,mowing and weeding) house projects and working for my dad as needed or on my own projects in the shop time runs out real quick on those days off. I rarely play on the weekends because I work half of them and something always gets scheduled when I am off. If I am playing on the weekend its in a scramble mostly.

When my wife was taking classes I played every other Thursday while she was in class that way I could still spend some time with her. Yes she complained that i was playing golf while she was in class but I was also keeping up the house.

I work 4 on 4 off so if the weather is good a can usually get at least one round in every shift off, if im lucky i can get two rounds.

Once the time changes and there is more daylight, I'll get in nine after work a couple of times a week.

I'm done with work typically around 12:30pm, so I have the whole afternoon M-F to golf when I want. And sometimes a weekend round in the morning. But winter here kinda sucks!!!

I am a school teacher/athletic director/head football coach/head baseball coach. I am also a husband and father. My work day usually ends with me getting home after dark because if I am not coaching, my AD responsibilities require me to be at school most of the time. I am starting graduate school tonight so throw that into the mix as well. Saturdays/sundays are normally my days to play during the school year but thats after I have spent time with my kids and my wife from a busy work week. The summer time is easier for me because I will play 3-4 times a week and the weekends.

I'm in a very lucky position that allows me to play a lot of golf. My hours at work are either 6-2pm or 2-10pm. If i'm on the early i can go after work in the summer, on the other side if i'm on the late i can play in the morning. It also helps that 2 of the lads i play with are retired and will play anytime. I'm playing once a week at the moment as well as the range once a week.

Next year golf will take a back seat as we will be working on the wedding. I admire how you willing to put your studies first Dam.

I'm usually at work from 0600-1700/1800. During the week, I have to make it a point to make time for the range. I swing in my living quarters a few minutes at a time to keep the muscle memory thing going on mechanics and hand release. If friday is a day off, I play. Saturday, I try to play. Sunday, I'd love to play, but it's usually a 50/50. Being that I'm unaccompanied here in Japan, I have a bunch more time. If I was back in the US, it'd probably less time on the course.

For me it's generally acknowledged that Saturday morning is golf day. My wife and little boy (5 years old), are both happy with this and know what the score is. The rest of the weekend is their's and I do whatever they want to do as a thank you for Saturday morning.

During the week, I will often go to the local range, but tend to go around 8pm when the little one has gone to bed and the missus is sat happily watching TV or similar.

Let's see...
My work schedule is 4/10's so I have every Friday off - Golf
Saturday - Golf with "The guys"
Sunday - Golf with "The wife"
I think 3 rounds a week is enough. I don't always get 3 in, but I sure will try for that starting next spring.

I dont do too bad for having a wife and some kids

usually 1 weekend afternoon
usually a friday at lunch, as im out of work at 11

and one evening after work

now sometimes I'll go home and grab my kids and bring them along for these rounds too, so Im not totally missing out.

I golf about once every two weeks and for me it's a Saturday only gig for both financial and time reasons. Either early morning Saturday so I'm home by 11:00 or late afternoon in the summer after getting everything done that I need to.
I am going to try to play nine holes after work some weekdays this year and see how that goes but I'm worried it will be too expensive.

For me, time management for golf is all about trade offs. I am married and have kids, and my wife knows that Golf is a passion of mine. Take for example yesterday, got to the course at 9:30 and played 18 holes with THPers, then grabbed a bite to eat afterwards. I didnt get home to 4:30. Wife didnt make one mention of it, as I got home I started playing with the little ones, which gave my wife time to go for a run. I took the little guys with me to the store and got groceries and then cooked dinner, all the time allowing my wife to do what she wanted to do.

It's a trade off.

I work 90 hours a week for two weeks, then have two weeks off. In those two weeks off I usually get 8-10 rounds in and around 4 range sessions. I love my schedule.

Season makes a huge difference for me. In summer - I can get out at first light, play 9 or 14 or 18 holes and still be at work at a reasonable time - or - a quick twilight round at the end of the day. This allows for much more golf in the summer. Winter - the window is much tighter. I try to get out once at the weekend and once during the week in what little light we have!
In common with a lot of the posters - I usually have Saturday morning as 'golf time' - but this means that Sunday is definitely 'wife' time!

Back