Tiger Woods New Sponsor

Really? Is that what your mom told you?

My mom said it would fall off.

My dad told me that.

I then said, "Dad, I'm over here."

:laughing:

I'm sure he's getting paid lots of money to do it. Or, he forgot to do his currency conversion.

Tiger: "Sweet, ten million yen! I'll endorse it!"

Ten million yen is only $124,000.00, which would be awfully small for a Tiger endorsement.

how the mighty have fallen. I'm sure he is getting paid well for this sponsorship, but three years ago he probably would have laughed at this offer.

Don't be so sure. This one is being publicized, but do you realize how many US celebrities do sponsorships; print ads, commercials, etc.; for Asian region, specifically Japan, that don't get publicized. None of the celeb's get their reputation altered in any way here in the states, but they get paid big bucks. All ..."to endorse some Japenese product that they more than likely won't ever use..." It doesn't sound like a bad deal to them either.

Don't be so sure. This one is being publicized, but do you realize how many US celebrities do sponsorships; print ads, commercials, etc.; for Asian region, specifically Japan, that don't get publicized. None of the celeb's get their reputation altered in any way here in the states, but they get paid big bucks. All ..."to endorse some Japenese product that they more than likely won't ever use..." It doesn't sound like a bad deal to them either.

While that is true in many ways, he has not done this before to my knowledge, at least in terms of official contract. And it would be crazy to think he has not been approached to do so. So in that aspect, to see him attach to this is interesting to say the least.

You could very well be right, but he was so image concious before, he only endorsed (to my limited knowledge) the "A" endrosement products, Gatorade, Gillete, AT&T, Buick, ect.. All those deals are gone and very well could never come back.

Depends on how you look at it and how much just pimping out your name means. To some, it means more than to others. For others, it is only about the money. There are a lot of fans of sports stars today that look at the dollars signs only. There are others that look at other things. Its different for every person and how they view things.

Think Nolan Ryan and Advil. The Japanese market may be quite lucrative for this particular product. I wish I could get an endorsement deal for ribeye steak and baked potatoes.

Wow. Things go downhill fast.

I dont understand how everyone thinks things are going downhill/he only represents "A" list products..The guy is getting offered millions to represent some product that the US will never see. Their commercials wont air here it will be out of sight out of mind..

I dont understand how everyone thinks things are going downhill/he only represents "A" list products..The guy is getting offered millions to represent some product that the US will never see. Their commercials wont air here it will be out of sight out of mind..

It is very hard for even his biggest fans to think that this Lisbon the same level as the 5 sponsors Orbison that walked.

While that is true in many ways, he has not done this before to my knowledge, at least in terms of official contract. And it would be crazy to think he has not been approached to do so. So in that aspect, to see him attach to this is interesting to say the least.

I don't remember the name, but it was a coffee drink of some sort. Pre-2000, I spent too much time in Japan.

I googled, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahi_Soft_Drinks. Tag line was "Wonderful Wonda."

ahhhhhh.....I just got this. Been reading it as 'meat rub' all the way through the thread.

I don't remember the name, but it was a coffee drink of some sort. Pre-2000, I spent too much time in Japan.

I googled, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahi_Soft_Drinks. Tag line was "Wonderful Wonda."

I think that proves the point. During his peak he never did anything like this. When it falls as it has bigger then maybe any athlete ever this type of deal comes back.

I bet John Daly turned down the offer first.

I think that proves the point. During his peak he never did anything like this. When it falls as it has bigger then maybe any athlete ever this type of deal comes back.

I understand what you're saying, but there may have been more down by him. This is just the one I remembered while I was over there. The surprising thing to me is this was announced to the world. But I see three benefits to the announcement;

1.) long-term endorsement contract in a very large untapped market
2.) it "announces" to Madison Avenue, there are deals to be made between companies, even if outside US, and TW
3.) it subliminally tells Madison Avenue, the required cooling-off time between scandal and re-emergence of US advertising may be close to ending.

Just my $0.02.

Hahaha! I bet John Daly never got the offer!

I think they are going to start putting his face on diet coke cans though.. seeing how he chooses that over water even when its 100+ outside.

Hahaha! I bet John Daly never got the offer!

They didn't have enough rub to go around. :D

This is just way too easy and by the sound of it it's just a straight money deal. Nothing more, nothing less. Perky Jerky anyone?

Veteran player and heat rub, seems like a good fit for both. Besides who said he'd never use the product? I rememeber Nolan Ryan? pitching flex-all with a couple others and never thought he was slumming. He is just keeping the ball rolling with this. I'm pretty sure a guy living in a 60 mil dollar house has plenty of options.
Blue Gatorade was the biggest joke ever though, I just loved seeing guys buy that stuff.

Veteran player and heat rub, seems like a good fit for both. Besides who said he'd never use the product? I rememeber Nolan Ryan? pitching flex-all with a couple others and never thought he was slumming. He is just keeping the ball rolling with this. I'm pretty sure a guy living in a 60 mil dollar house has plenty of options.
Blue Gatorade was the biggest joke ever though, I just loved seeing guys buy that stuff.

Nolan Ryan and a nationally televised commercial in the US is a little different than a heat rub in Japan.
I have no issues with the guy pimping his name. He has been doing it for over a decade.
But Nolan Ryan was not the same as arguably the most marketable sports face and name of all time.
Going from Fortune 50 companies to with in 3 years having the majority of those drop you is nothing to sneeze at from a marketing stand point.

His fans can say whatever they want and his haters can do the same. But the objective point of view is that this is a step down in terms of where he was just a few years ago. Hence the reason it is news.

Who said he wouldn't have done the same spot 2 years ago though? He was pitching everything under the sun back then and people bought whatever it was like it was going out of style. I still have images of guys with blue tongues talking at me and just thinking who is this idiot.

Who said he wouldn't have done the same spot 2 years ago though? He was pitching everything under the sun back then and people bought whatever it was like it was going out of style. I still have images of guys with blue tongues talking at me and just thinking who is this idiot.

Gatorade is a little different than this clearly.
Do you believe this is the first time in a decade he has been offered a spot in Japan?

Oh gosh no. But I do think this is a better fit than some of his other ads. Any ongoing ad will keep his name in the hat so to speak when negotiating new deals. Celebs drop off the big money list quick as you have pointed out and most don't get back on. I've heard the rumors that the money offered by some of the foriegn advertisers is pretty insane even comparing to US markets.

The new Tiger Woods commercial.

Back